1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Weird Pokédex entries

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by NovaBrunswick, Feb 2, 2020.

1. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

Every Pokémon has an entry in the Pokédex telling us what they're like and how they behave. Some are a little... weirder than others.

Dodrio's entry from Sapphire:

Raichu's entry from FireRed:

Darumaka's entry from White:

All of Mimikyu's Dex entries, especially these ones from Sun and Ultra Moon:

(Raichu's FR Dex entry is notably one of the few to mention a real-world animal.)

2. wolf jani

wolf jani The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts

If I remember correctly. different dex entries of Magikarp are very inconsistent of it's jumping ability.

3. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

The one that said Kadabra was really weird.

NovaBrunswick and wolf jani like this.
  4. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I seem to recall one of Utsudon's (Weepinbell's) entries mentioning that it spits acid on its prey and melts them down that way, which sounds rather creepy and quite cruel.

jaden767, NovaBrunswick and wolf jani like this.
  5. TokoyamiTheDark

TokoyamiTheDark The Purple Karakasa

Honedge from X and Y - it apparently host the soul of a dead human (X's PokéDex), and even worse, it will steal your life if you grab it carelessly from its hilt (Y's PokéDex). Creepy, but this is still one of my fav Gen VI Pokémons.

6. NovaBrunswick

Wasn't there an entry that said Kadabra used to be a human boy?

EDIT: Found it, it's from FireRed:

I know humans turning into Pokémon is what happens in the PMD verse, but in the normal Poké-verse... this just seems weird. o_O

wolf jani likes this.
  7. wolf jani

wolf jani The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts

And why the heck did he transform into a Kadabra instead of an Abra?

8. NeedsAName

NeedsAName Well-Known Member

Because he was Lv16

9. NovaBrunswick

And how would he evolve into Alakazam? Would his parents trade him for another child? :p

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Auraninja and NeedsAName like this.
  10. jaden767

jaden767 Red Trainer

I think one of Poliwrath's Dex entries mentions it swimming across the Pacific Ocean or something along those lines which I find weird because the Pokemon World is supposed to differ from the real world.

11. NeedsAName

A lot of dex entries mention real world things, although it's been significantly diminished in recent generations. For example, Delibird's entry in Ruby/Sapphire describes how it helped an explorer up Mount Everest.

12. NovaBrunswick

I also remember one of Arcanine's Dex entries mentioning that it is considered a legendary Pokémon in China. Some of Ponyta's Dex entries say it can jump over Ayers Rock (Uluru) in Australia in one leap. (In the Japanese versions, it's the Tokyo Tower.)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    TokoyamiTheDark and NeedsAName like this.
  13. Missingno.Fan

Missingno.Fan Well-Known Member

I think Gastly’s also mentioned an Indian elephant. There is a theory floating around that Raichu and Gastly’s Pokédex entries originally mentioned a cut elephant Pokémon. It makes perfect sense and I totally buy it.

14. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

Galar Zen Mode Darmantian is so mad it starts melting from the heat of its own rage-induced fire. It being the polar opposite personality-wise to regular Zen Mode Darmanitan is one thing, this reminds me of the other crazy Pokedex entry that Primeape can get so angry it dies

NeedsAName and NovaBrunswick like this.
  15. NovaBrunswick

There's two cute elephant Pokémon, Phanpy and Cufant. It would make more sense if it was one of those two.

A lot of the Gen 7 Dex entries have a weirdly morbid obsession with death and dying. I already mentioned Mimikyu's Dex entries and the horrible fates of the people who saw its true form, but there's also Bonsly's entry from Ultra Moon:

Sensu Style Oricorio's entry from Ultra Sun:

Komala's entry from Sun:

Bewear's entry from Moon:

Not really to do with death, but Crabrawler's entry from Moon is one of the very few that mentions Pokémon (or at least parts of them) being eaten as food:

NeedsAName likes this.
  16. Missingno.Fan

Missingno.Fan Well-Known Member

Neither of those existed ar the time. Remember the Pokédex entries from FireRed are translations of the original Japanese Red/Green.

17. NovaBrunswick

Phanpy did exist when FR/LG came out, it just wasn't available (along with all the other Johto Pokémon) until the post-game.

18. NeedsAName

He's talking about the original pokedex entries from Pokemon Red and Green, where Phanpy didn't exist.

TwilightBlade likes this.
  19. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

An Indian elephant? Funny enough, the Cufant line could fit that

Leonhart and NeedsAName like this.
  20. TwilightBlade

TwilightBlade Well-Known Member

Drowzee's entry from Silver is creepy as hell because it says that it avoids eating the dreams of adults and prefers children's dreams because they're tastier, which is disturbing to say the least. :[

jaden767, NeedsAName and Leonhart like this.