• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Weirdest anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
What are some of the strangest/weirdest anime you've ever seen with the most wild ideas for a plot?

For me, nothing is stranger than Akikan. Nothing will top that one as a premise for me... turning juice/soda cans into women. Only in anime would something like that work, I guess and people won't wonder why it's a thing.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Wasn’t there an anime about magical chocolate? I only remember seeing teasers in Taiwan on CN over there in 2008 and it was something about young women and some candy shop and there was an emphasis on the chocolates on display that had magical sparkles. I don’t think they were witches as they dressed as typical young women in their 20s do in anime’s set in current times and they weren’t fairies either.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Wasn’t there an anime about magical chocolate? I only remember seeing teasers in Taiwan on CN over there in 2008 and it was something about young women and some candy shop and there was an emphasis on the chocolates on display that had magical sparkles. I don’t think they were witches as they dressed as typical young women in their 20s do in anime’s set in current times and they weren’t fairies either.
I've heard of an anime called The Magic of Chocolate (Chocolat no Mahou) that came out in between 2011 and 2013 that matches that description? Is that the one you're talking about?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I've heard of an anime called The Magic of Chocolate (Chocolat no Mahou) that came out in between 2011 and 2013 that matches that description? Is that the one you're talking about?
No. This was definitely in 2008 when I saw the ad. I remember it because it was my first trip to Taiwan and my grandpa’s youngest brother was still alive and we stayed at his apartment for half of the trip. He also had an old style tv that was like an older desk top computer monitor. My great uncle died around 2011 or 2012 and it wasn’t the trip my dad and I made in 2014 because we stayed in a hotel during that trip and his friends that still live in Taiwan took us out during the day and I didn’t watch anything animated that trip on tv because my dad thinks all types of animation is meant for little kids only and he’d keep saying stuff about how I should not be watching that type of stuff and that no man watches cartoons. I also remember it definitely was 2008 because the bumpers in between shows were the weird real world with the CN characters doing stuff like trying to cross a busy street in a city. They had Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends and Dexter and the original Powerpuff Girls. This was also when Powerpuff Girls Z was still relatively new.

Morax

King of heroes
What are some of the strangest/weirdest anime you've ever seen with the most wild ideas for a plot?

For me, nothing is stranger than Akikan. Nothing will top that one as a premise for me... turning juice/soda cans into women. Only in anime would something like that work, I guess and people won't wonder why it's a thing.
Kobayashi-san, like why is a dragon turning into a maid and lusting after a human?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Now that I think about it, PPG Z made some really weird choices. First there is the fact that Snake was turned into a teenaged girl named Ivy, one Amoeba Boy became a female called Violet yet were still called the Amoeba Boys, HIM became this weird clown jester, Princess was a normal schoolgirl who suddenly transformed into a super villain whenever her cat screamed (wtf?), Sedusa is some make up seller that turns evil if she puts on some lipstick (again wtf?), and most disturbing of all is that Fuzzy Lumpkins became a full blown perv who wants to grab Miss Bellum any way he can and graphically fantasizes about it. There’s one episode where he thinks about it the entire episode and tries to seduce her by taking her out on a date and his attempts to get her to let him touch her fail miserably and it’s even worse that the PPG Z gave him advice about how to get the woman to fall in love with him. And this was meant for children as the airing was around 8 PM and not later when kids would be in bed.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
Now that I think about it, PPG Z made some really weird choices. First there is the fact that Snake was turned into a teenaged girl named Ivy, one Amoeba Boy became a female called Violet yet were still called the Amoeba Boys, HIM became this weird clown jester, Princess was a normal schoolgirl who suddenly transformed into a super villain whenever her cat screamed (wtf?), Sedusa is some make up seller that turns evil if she puts on some lipstick (again wtf?), and most disturbing of all is that Fuzzy Lumpkins became a full blown perv who wants to grab Miss Bellum any way he can and graphically fantasizes about it. There’s one episode where he thinks about it the entire episode and tries to seduce her by taking her out on a date and his attempts to get her to let him touch her fail miserably and it’s even worse that the PPG Z gave him advice about how to get the woman to fall in love with him. And this was meant for children as the airing was around 8 PM and not later when kids would be in bed.
what monstrosity was this
i have fond memories of the original PPG when i was 5
this is atrocious

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
what monstrosity was this
i have fond memories of the original PPG when i was 5
this is atrocious
This is the episode summary I found about that episode. Apparently things were changed outside of Japan and Taiwan but trust me, Fuzzy clearly was trying to grab Miss Bellum’s chest multiple times and the scenes showing this had a first person point of view from Fuzzy’s perspective. And the woman at the end of the episode was some priestess and clearly shown to block Fuzzy’s attempt to grab her by having her hand directly placed in front of her chest before calling him a huge pervert that needed to be punished for his sins.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
I'm... kind of glad the united states skipped this one, then. I didn't like this anime when I watched it, anyway.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I'm... kind of glad the united states skipped this one, then. I didn't like this anime when I watched it, anyway.
I’m sure there were even more bizarre episodes but the main reason I know this had to have been made for children is the first 10-12 minute episode of the half hour block was about Buttercup teaching some boy about eight years old how to be better at soccer and the episode focused on that boy. And then to have a total shift in terms of what would be expected in a kids show to have Fuzzy lusting after Miss Bellum was a total shock as it literally came out of nowhere. I could understand if it were in an anime made for an older audience such as Inuyasha or even YuYu Hakusho but in a program aimed for kids is just wrong. Even that magical chocolate anime I can’t seem to find any info about was clearly meant for a slightly older audience as that air time was 9 PM when most kids went to bed. PPG Z was on at 7 or 8 PM.

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil
I will never forget my wide range of bemusement and wth did I just watch after watching the first episode of FLCL.
I should honestly finish it but it's been over 10 years.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Pokemon sm
So weird ( and sad) to have a girl with alife dream to make a bubble

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Ranma 1/2 is also pretty weird especially with the gender switching happening with the temperature of water.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo is most likely the most WTF silliest widget series I've seen, but there's a loooooot of weird anime from the '80s and '90s OVA boon, hentai included (hoo boy does things get weird whenever U-jin or Hisashi Eguchi is involved), and that might've been due to the cocaine.

Status
Not open for further replies.