• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Wela Volcano: The Golem, the Graveler and the Hikers! (1038)

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
So I haven't watched a single SM episode since the end of the Necrozma arc since they all looked like unappealing bullshit fillers. However, I was just curious and decided to watch this episode for fun, and oh boy do I wish I hadn't done that. I knew from the preview thread itself that this episode was going to be a filler (despite getting chewed by some delusional user who stated how wrong I was, and that there was even a good chance that Charjabug was going to evolve), but even then, this episode was exceedingly worse than what I thought it could've been.

Seriously Lusamine you're a terrible commander in chief. Stop calling the Ultra Guardians for such trivial issues. Also, geez Kiawe, control your temper. Stop becoming a fiery volcano for every petty matter (and yet he doesn't even get mad when he saw Team Rocket with Z Rings).

That Metang vs Golem battle (if it can even be called a battle) defied any logic (we know logic is non-existant in the Pokémon world, but this was ridiculous even for this world's standards).

Overall, this episode gets a 1.5/10. This is a pretty good contender for worst episode of SM, along with SM006, SM058 and SM066.
TBH, said ridiculousness saved the episode's last 5 minutes from being as boring as the rest of the episode and was somewhat fun, though yeah, this episode was disappointing. Anyways, I understand sm6 and 66, but why 58?

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Yikes am I the only person who even remotely liked the episode

Your not, I liked the Metang vs Golem fight, I liked Golem going nuts with the Geodude dakka and I liked how they skipped the UG suit up. (That gotten old after a while.)

But otherwise, this episode was a dud. (This is coming from someone who likes the SM series.)

The Eevee segment however was the best part about yesterday. After two of them in a row where that little guy nearly died... it is nice that suffering didn't come for him again. (Only way to top nearly getting mauled by a Houndour or drowning at sea is if Eevee ran into a trainer with a Ditto and a lot of time on his hands.)

Leonhart

Imagineer
I will admit to having had low expectations for the episode even before we saw the previews, but even I was a bit disappointed that Maamane didn't at least catch a Golone.

Last edited:

Apslup

Feelin' Fine.
My God this episode was so boring. While the Hikers were pretty entertaining to watch, it was pretty cool to see the the miners trying to get the stones to sell on the black-market (I always like it when Pokemon dives more into darker territories) and the animation was pretty good, the rest of it was boring as hell. Around 7 minutes in, I started skipping through the episode and was still understanding what was going on. The girls did basically nothing and the overall premise of the episode was boring.

Just another boring filler episode.

Also I still don't understand what's going on with that damn Eevee! What is the point of that little segment with Eevee at the end? It's just Eevee being cute and doing nothing really important.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Also I still don't understand what's going on with that damn Eevee! What is the point of that little segment with Eevee at the end? It's just Eevee being cute and doing nothing really important.

After two episodes of bad things happening to him, it was either give the little guy a break OR he gets rescued by a weirdo with a Ditto that had less that noble intentions for him.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
It's all buildup for him meeting Ash

Also, I'm laughing at everyone who calls what happened between Metang and Golem a "fight"

Uselessly pushing back and forth isn't a fight
Neither is swapping iron sand around in repeated animation for far longer than necessary

There was a lot of terrible animation in this episode and more than a few repeated segments (watch the cheering segments during the battle, and also pay attention to the animation near the start of the episode when Ash, Kiawe, and Sophocles find the geodude and graveler all clumped together - it isn't properly looped)

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Seriously Lusamine you're a terrible commander in chief. Stop calling the Ultra Guardians for such trivial issues.

The Ultra Guardians' job is stop Ultra Beasts. The Graveler and company were interfering with the tech Lusamine uses to find Ultra Beasts. Aka if they didn't do something, it could've led to something bad if unchecked.

So what's the issue?

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
The Ultra Guardians' job is stop Ultra Beasts. The Graveler and company were interfering with the tech Lusamine uses to find Ultra Beasts. Aka if they didn't do something, it could've led to something bad if unchecked.

So what's the issue?
That's a job for the island Jennies

You don't call in a team of power rangers to tell someone to stay off the grass

Why didn't the geodude, graveler, and golem stop the miners themselves? They showed off how powerful golem was and the miners fled then, so why not earlier?

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
The Hiker Davids will be the dream crushers of the Alola League. After Ash killed that Magmar in Ash and Jared, it's time for him to take his revenge on Ash for being the dumby he was in those times!
And let the Ash fans riot harder than the Kalos league outcome, for them claiming that at least Alain is cooler than those hikers and that he had a backstory.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I'm not sure how to feel about this episode. It was nice to see the boys working together again, but at the same time, I wish the girls hadn't been shoved aside. Would it have been so hard to have all six students working together, or at least show a few more minutes of what the girls were doing besides running into Hikers?

I'm not sure why the Ultra Guardians were needed for this mission. Aside from the magnetic field interfering with the Ultra Aura sensors, this really had nothing to do with the Ultra Guardians or the Aether Foundation. Lusamine, Professor Burnet, or Wicke could have easily investigated this matter themselves, without getting the Ultra Guardians involved. Ash and his friends could have been visiting Wela Volcano for another reason, and Kiawe could have noticed the Alolan Geodude and Graveler being above ground as an unusual sight simply because he is familiar with Wela Volcano. The only difference would be that Metagross wouldn't have been involved, and we wouldn't have had that "battle" between it and Alolan Golem.

Speaking of which... After all that, I thought Alolan Golem would decide to join Sophocles (who, as far as it knew, was Metagross's Trainer; it has no way of knowing Metagross is just Sophocles's Ride Pokémon), but instead, it decided to join the Hikers for...no apparent reason I could think of, other than perhaps liking their spirit.

WTF was going on with Metang apparently 'attracting' and attaching the magnetic body parts of Alolan Golem to itself??? Doesn't really make any sense via Pokelogic.
As Rotom explained, Alolan Golem's "eyebrows" are made of iron sand. The only explanation I can think of is that since Metagross's body is made of metal, it attracted the iron sand to it because it's magnetic. It actually made sense to me.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
As Rotom explained, Alolan Golem's "eyebrows" are made of iron sand. The only explanation I can think of is that since Metagross's body is made of metal, it attracted the iron sand to it because it's magnetic. It actually made sense to me.

By that logic, if a Metang/Metagross battles a Steelix, the Steelix should be constantly attracted towards Metang/Metagross's body, since Steelix's body is made of steel which is also attracted by magnet? Yeah, that just sounds laughable.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Interesting to have a UG episode without a UB...

Who the hell are these three blonde guys?

I think anybody should be able to mine the Spark Stones. Kiawe's outrage is a bit silly

Where were the girls this whole episode?

The scene with the iron filings shifting back and forth was pretty funny

Nothing really happened in the Eevee short

Vipsoccermaster

The three hikers are hilarious. How they photo-bombed Sophocles's picture taking. Shame the girls were away for most of the episode. Metang and Alolan Golem pushing each other back and forth... How the facial hair from Alolan Golem keep swapping between the two were funny.

Oh hey, Eevee is doing Mantine Surfing!

I found this episode rather boring compared to other SM filler episodes, and I'm not even sure why. For me, the best part was the "Where's Eevee going?" segment. Eevee and Mantine were so precious bonding, and I loved seeing Mantine Surfing in the anime. Mantine flipping with Eevee on it was great.

Leonhart

Imagineer
OnceUponATime said:
I found this episode rather boring compared to other SM filler episodes, and I'm not even sure why. .

I can't speak for everyone, but the writing in this episode seemed less organic than usual. Even the moments that were meant to induce laughs just didn't work because it felt less spontaneous than usual. It doesn't help that the characters of the day were also rather uninspired.