• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Well-planned Pokemon battles from Pokemon adaptations.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
As the title says. Brilliantly-planned Pokemon Battles in Pokemon Adaptations. That means if you saw a battle from say the anime or the Adventures manga that you thought was well-thought out by the writers, list it and go into great detail why!

I'll start first. Red and Green's final battle from Pokemon Adventures. So I'm calling the rival Green here. As a Pokemon Adventures fan and a competitive Pokemon fan, this is still to this day an amazingly written battle. So essentially this final battle of the Pokemon League tourney is not actually a 6v6 Pokemon battle as one Pokemon fan corrected me some time ago. You can use all six of your Pokemon but the goal is to knock just one Pokemon to win. That is it. You might be thinking that's a stupid rule but in how the battle plays out, it's actually pretty ingenious. This huge limitation forces the trainers to switch-out Pokemon more often whenever their Pokemon are on the brink of being knocked-out. In fact this rule forcing a lot of switch-outs reminds me of the flow of competitive Pokemon battles where switch-outs is an very important and common tactic to consider and you can actually lose right from the start if you don't take into consideration of switch-outs. With this we not only got a faster Pokemon battle like 3v3 competitive Pokemon but also one where the trainers are more cautious of what to choose like actual competitive Pokemon.

However it's more than just the mechanics of this style of battle. We see how much these trainers have grown over time as friends rather than as jerk rivals. Green is not a trainer who uses Pokemon like tools anymore. He sees them as his friends and cares for their well-being, thanking Machamp who is on the verge of being KO'd. For Red's side, his creativity for battling to go beyond the expected norms of battle has grown here as well. We see Red thinking like a chess-master, planning out the finishing blow to win him the Pokemon League. Essentially he uses Poliwrath's rain dance and Pikachu's Thunder to create a thunderstorm. After that, Venusaur uses his own vine whips as conductors, grabs a hold of Charizard with one vine and have the other vine reach out to the thunderstorm and they all get shocked together by the thunderstorm. For those who understand the Gen 1 competitive meta where a Venusaur would have almost no chance of beating a Charizard, this is actually pretty ingenious for Gen 1 without resulting in any BS. What's also brilliant about this scene is that it really shows how much type-advantages matter, grass-types take less damage from electricity while flying-types takes some serious blows.

However there was something that got me thinking. A Pokemon fan who I won't name thought the scene was dumb. He didn't quite understand how electricity works so effectively well with these Pokemon-typings in this situation and suggested a steel-type although steel-type didn't existed back than. Most of his criticisms seem to be misunderstandings but he did said something that did got me thinking. Why not use Red's Gyarados? And I actually now know why Red's Gyarados, although has a lot of typing advantages, is not actually a good idea if you understand how the flow of competitive battling works and how this works with Red and Green's characters. That is switch-outs. At the time when he told me this, I'd forgotten that this Pokemon League had the single KO equals automatic loss rule. This forces trainers to switch out a lot of Pokemon. Whether or not the writer of Pokemon Adventures planned that, Green could easily switch-out Charizard with a different Pokemon, such as his Golduck or better yet his Porygon or Alakazam which I believe knows electric-type attacks. Green isn't Red, he rarely takes unnecessary risks. He will switch-out if Gyarados appears and if an Pokemon that knows an electric-type move manages to survive Gyarados's thrashing and hyper beaming, he will KO Gyarados's flying and water-type unless Red switches-out. So if you think about it, understanding how predictable Gyarados would be against a smart trainer like Green actually makes more sense for Red to essentially trick Green into his electrifying trap. Green wouldn't be able to predict such a tactic from Red's Venusaur against his Charizard and therefore wouldn't switch-out. If your a competitive player during Gen 1 and you see the opposing player sending out a Venusaur against your Charizard, you would find this odd but you wouldn't pass up this chance to win, this is Green's mindset, he won't switch-out because he thinks Red is just being reckless. It's a bit odd but it's an opportunity where Green can't pass up on this chance, not realizing this is a trap. So after thinking about the Gyarados question, I just realize how this makes Red vs. Green even more outstanding that ever before even if the writer of Pokemon Adventures never really considered that.

Last edited: