• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Were we meant to assume the evil Malamar were connected to Team Flare?

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
After all, their goals were similar: to modify the whole world to suit their own needs.

Also, Xerosic had a Malamar. And lastly, as far as the fact that they never appeared again, that could be explained away by saying they went so far in the future we haven't gotten to it yet.

---

Or am I overthinking it and the writers just forgot about them?

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
The writers may have planned to bring them back at some point but ended up nixing them due to time constraints. Or they'll randomly come back with the Ultra Beasts as their army in the Sun/Moon anime.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
I personally still believe to this day that they were going to make a last appearance right before the XY&Z arc began, but it got scrapped. Probably because their goals along with Team Flare's were basically the same. Or they were planned to be connected to TF but plans changed. Who knows? Still sad they didn't get a proper sendoff.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Not really. I think they wanted to do something unique and have Pokemon actually be evil on their own accord. And not evil as in comedic evil like the Togepi, but genuine villains

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I don't think we were meant to assume anything. It's just a plot that was unfortunately dropped.

Haunter ゴースト

Almost definitely. The hints that they were working toward a greater goal which was neverealisd, and the coincidence of Xerosic owning one seems too convenient for me.

They probably scrapped it for time constraits, although I guess there were plenty of fillers they could have scrapped in replacement...

I have a feeling it was just scrapped, but it does allow for them to have something to reference if they ever need to advertise a Kalos remake.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I have a feeling it was just scrapped, but it does allow for them to have something to reference if they ever need to advertise a Kalos remake.

That'll be in what, ten years?

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Also, Xerosic had a Malamar. And lastly, as far as the fact that they never appeared again, that could be explained away by saying they went so far in the future we haven't gotten to it yet.

I remember hoping that Xerosic's Malamar was the mastermind behind the Madame X thing, so it was frustrating when his Malamar was shown being normal ha ha. I think the writing staff messed up by not tying the evil Malamars into Team Flare's plot.

SinnohEevee

The writers probably dropped the evil Malamar folder under a pile of folders of fillers.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I figure that the writers were setting up TF when they 1st introduced Malamar, but that they changed their minds for whatever reason and had the Malamar be a separate evil entity.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I figure that the writers were setting up TF when they 1st introduced Malamar, but that they changed their minds for whatever reason and had the Malamar be a separate evil entity.

If they changed their minds, it might've been due to them planning on giving Team Flare screentime in XYZ, which was a long time after the evil Malamar first showed up. I still think that tying the evil Malamar with Xerosic would've worked well tho.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I still think that tying the evil Malamar with Xerosic would've worked well tho.

They could've done that, plus introduce Emma/Essentia and given her the evil Malamar at the end after redeeming it as a way of bringing the whole thing full circle.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
They could've done that, plus introduce Emma/Essentia and given her the evil Malamar at the end after redeeming it as a way of bringing the whole thing full circle.

I dunno if I'd want to see the evil Malamars be redeemed however. Truth is I liked how they were genuinely sinister, so watching the leader Malamar join a good person like Emma or any other character would've bothered me a little honestly. ^^;

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
You make it sound as if Xerosic was he only trainer in the whole region who owned a Malamar.

Well I'm sure that many other trainers in the Kalos region owned a Malamar, but in the games it was synonymous with Xerosic, so I can understand why some viewers expected Xerosic's Malamar to play a bigger role in the anime, especially if it had been the evil one.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I think the evil Malamar came from an alternate future where Team Flare successfully set off the weapon and destroyed most of Kalos and the Malamar are some of the few survivors. They then discovered a way to go back in time and decided to wipe out all humans to prevent their future from coming true. I think this would explain why they hated humans and Pokemon who get along with them so much.