• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Hi, I like making text walls. Mind if I spare some?

REMINDER: there might be spoilers.

Dogasu has translated the Animedia interview Ash's, Goh's, Leon's and Raihan's VAs as well as the series director Daiki Tomiyasu

An interesting bit is that Tomiyasu finally sheds some light on the nature of Ash's Pokémon Master goal. Just like that!

Animedia: Satoshi's added another dream, hasn't he? "I'm gonna battle Dande again!"

Daiki Tomiyasu: I had always thought that, personally, the whole "Pokémon Master" thing was really quite vague and so one day I went up to the show's supervisor, Mr. Kunihiko Yuyama, and asked him "So what does Satoshi's "I wanna be a Pokémon Master!" dream mean, exactly?" His response? "It's just the silly dream of a child. It's something for him to idolize." I don't know yet if Satoshi's "have a battle with Dande" thing is going to end up going down as some kind of pie in the sky or not. But I think maybe seeing someone appear in front of you put in so much effort, and then having that be what gets you to get up and give it everything you've got toward your dream is a huge step toward achieving something great. Gou's "I want to capture Mew" dream is similar in that the adults who make this show set up this big, ambiguous goal for him and then spend each episode working to fill in the gaps.

You can read the rest on Dogasu's site. It's good stuff.

What is really good in that is that the reveal isn't Tomiyasu's own words but rather something he had found out from Yuyama.

That's important since Yuyama is one of the highest-ranking figures in the show as a whole and has been around since the beggining.

Tomiyasu's finding confirm the vision of Ash's goal still match what Takeshi Shudo had planned for Ash.

Yeah, I know I like mentioning the man a lot, but look at it from this angle: I really like behind the scenes info. And I really like the pokémon anime. And I really like Ash's character. And Shudo's had a part on all that. So of course I like to remember his ramblings!

It's interesting how whenever we get to hear a staff talking about show, we get stuff that points to major key points about Ash's and TRio's persona as characters are still following Shudo's vision.

Which will make me go on some random ramblings!

- Hidaka had said in the interview for PokéBeach way back the DP era they only want to bring Ash's dad back if they feel they need to mature. That fits Shudo's vision of Ash's dad being a loser who never accomplished anything and haven't come back because of shame (not sure if I recall that last bit as I should)

- Shudo had also said about how the anime's main point would be Ash's and Pikachu's friendship and bond. The 20th anime was all about that and during the show's 20th anniversary we got a whole episode about Ash and Pikachu spending quality time just the two of them

And now Journeys is blowing it by making an episode where Pikachu gets jealous of... Freaking Riolu. The more time passes the more I hate this thing

- Shudo had stated Ash's goal was meant to be vague so the show can keep going. He's implied in the novel adaptation of early episodes and his blog entries the notion was something Ash came up with so he'd make his name known and wouldn't be a loser like his dad. Yuyama's explanations to Tomiyasu confirm that.

The last bit was a big speculation on my part but...

Lavacut content had brought some translations of the blog - read it, it's good stuff - and we find that somewhere around the time of movie 2-3, Shudo's asked about how long they planned to have the show going and then was told like 10 years. If I'm guessing the timetable correctly, that brings us up to DP era.

Now, think about. How DP at times felt like it could be a closing chapter to Ash's journey. How BW felt a reboot to some and seemed to lack direction overall.

Reason: they thought they wouldn't be able to keep going more than they were already, tried to go out in a bang with DP but since the show was still making money, they had to continue.

And they had to keep Ash.

With Game Freak wanting BW to be sort of a fresh start, right to the point of routes' numbering being reset and we moving away from PokéJapan to PokéUS, the need was created to make the show feel like all-new. Thus they were forced that Ash's Unova journey HAD to feel like relaunch (a reboot that's not quite a reboot. DC Comics came up the idea and they have no idea how to explain that)

That's why BW could feel like a mess and lacking a direction - even if I like it for what it was. It's all because of a mix of circunstances:

Thinking they'd be done after DP was over. Having to make BW feel like a fresh start. All while dealing with the chaotic deadlines they have. Tetsuo Yajima - the director for XY series as well as movies 21 and the upcoming 23 - has said they only found out they had to warp up their show 1 year in advance.

That's actually kind of crazy for them to deal with thus why BW probably could feel like a rushed job.

Now, back to Shudo and his statements:

Some might ask why and how could Shudo appear to have such influence in the show. I mean, for all we know in an anime it's normally the director who has any say over the direction, not a head writer/series construction writer. So why does it feel it's more Shudo's show than the director?

Think about kind of anime Pokémon is.

No matter how much it eventually deviated and become its own thing, it was a still an adaption. Of a video-game. In the 90's.

The way I see - and that's my theory - the director normally treated it as just a short lived stint they had to do for money and just charged Shudo with the world-building bit only course-correcting stuff so it could still be a kids' show. That's why it feels like Shudo had control.

Also, as noted in the Lavacut's translations, back in the day they thought the show would be over after the Porygon incident and that's why Shudo had such liberty with the Mewtwo movie to the point that he owns that specific version of Mewtwo. Yes, that's true and it's been confirmed by an anime staff PokéBeach interviewed during Detective Pikachu's premiere.

Shudo even revealed on his blog that after Mewtwo's movie made them money, he was given more control/criative liberty to make the Lugia movie.

I feel - here's an opinion piece again - that despite the success they thought their luck would eventually run out and the show would warp-up. I think only somewhere during Johto - probably after Shudo got the reply "we are going for at least 10 years" they figured the show might be a long-running after all and that's why it end up being so formula-heavy and repetitive during that period so Shudo started losing influence with spiralled into everything we see today.

Of course, that's my interpretation of all the pieces of information we've been given by Shudo and other staff members mixed with my own guesswork

Now for the long awaited TL;DR version!

Pokémon Master is vague because it's vain child dream. Ash won't fullfill it even in the scenario of him being World Champ because he won't be satisfied.

It must be a big stress working on this show. God bless the people who work with and give us episodes we can complain about.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
In short, they don't even know what a Pokémon Master is to date and they haven't decided on it yet. Also, Ash is gonna battle Leon and lose to him most likely. Makes sense so we can have a new series or reboot it all once for all lol.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
I think you're kinda overblowing all this. The reason they don't want to define Pokemon Master as something specific is because they have no idea what Gamefreak is ultimately going to do with the franchise and whether or not any specific definition they give is one that won't just bite them in the ass later. I'm fairly sure there was a gen 5-era interview with Masuda where he said all Pokemon games would always involve beating a series of gyms and then a league, so it's not like Gamefreak insists on staying true to whatever claims they may have made long in the past.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
More than 20 years and they still don't know where they're going neither what they want to do with the franchise? That's a just a cheap cop-out for me. They really never tried that hard in that department. That is what I personally think.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I think that a lot of us knew that the Pokemon Master goal was more or less left ambiguous from the start on purpose, so the idea that it could just be a silly childhood dream is fitting. I don't like the implication that Satoshi winning the Alola League has made him mellow out, however. Winning Leagues was always just part of his overall goal of course, but I don't consider Satoshi as being that much different in this series than he was in SM before he won the Alola League.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
More than 20 years and they still don't know where they're going neither what they want to do with the franchise? That's a just a cheap cop-out for me. They really never tried that hard in that department. That is what I personally think.

10 years ago, Masuda said all Pokemon games would be based around the player beating a series of gyms, and that this was a core feature of the series that would never change. I think he might have even said "8 gyms".
6 years after he said that, Sun and Moon were released, games that did not involve the player beating a series of gyms.

So yeah, 20 years into the franchise and they suddenly decided that Pokemon games weren't all going to be about gym battles after all, despite specifically claiming so earlier. It's hardly a cheap cop-out.
And depending on what you feel about Let's Go being "mainline titles", those are potentially games that, 22 years into the franchise, decided that "battling and getting" wild Pokemon wasn't actually a core component of the franchise after all. Who knows what else they'll decide about the direction of the franchise in the future?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Tomiyasu: He had a real no-nonsense air about him at first, didn't he? (laughs) I don't know if he just didn't care much for other people or if he was just too full of himself. But I think him getting to make friends with Satoshi in Episode 2 was a really big deal for him. Maybe he was in love with the idea of having friends of his own, or perhaps he had always wanted them since the beginning, who knows? But whatever it was, he has fun when he's with Satoshi and so that's getting reflected in the faces he makes. Accordingly, I think his face has loosened up and he's become more gentle.

I did notice that Gou has been looking less uptight recently compared to the first couple of episodes, but I had assumed that it was just a natural byproduct of the animation changing slightly over time as the animators get used to drawing new characters. So the fact that Gou might be loosening up because he's more familiar with Satoshi now is interesting.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
No offense to the man but I think Shudo's comments are overblown around here. He was only involved in the anime up until the end of the original series and alot of things that he's said aren't even important any more because so much has changed since 2002. So using this interview to try and defend Shudo's legacy is a real stretch...

Evstike

Take me back to peak pokemon
This interview has a lot more than the usual "Look forward to this", but there's a lot here that I believe shouldn't be taken at face value.
Daiki Tomiyasu: I had always thought that, personally, the whole "Pokémon Master" thing was really quite vague and so one day I went up to the show's supervisor, Mr. Kunihiko Yuyama, and asked him "So what does Satoshi's "I wanna be a Pokémon Master!" dream mean, exactly?" His response? "It's just the silly dream of a child. It's something for him to idolize."
This part was always obvious to me regardless of whatever Shudo's comments were back when he was around. A Pokemon Master was just an ambiguous dream to have an excuse for Satoshi to keep working towards something. I never expected his dream to actually have a meaning.
I did notice that Gou has been looking less uptight recently compared to the first couple of episodes, but I had assumed that it was just a natural byproduct of the animation changing slightly over time as the animators get used to drawing new characters.
I've noticed his personality loosening up and he's been doing less uptight expressions, but I'm with you on the animators getting used to drawing him. I've noticed that the episodes that Goh looks different than usual also have issues with Satoshi's design. Iwane's episodes in particular gave Goh sharp eyebrows but also made Satoshi's design look off.

Everything about loosening up after winning the Alola league seems more like a headcanon to me rather than the actual reasoning. I personally believe that Satoshi seems less tense than usual due to his role no longer being the underdog trying to prove himself and instead a mentor to Goh. Goh's the one with issues and frustration and Satoshi's the friendly one. I assume Ash's current personality is meant to contrast with Goh.

I don't think a lot of this is meant to be taken literally as per every interview, so I don't see why anyone should worry about any of this.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
No offense to the man but I think Shudo's comments are overblown around here. He was only involved in the anime up until the end of the original series and alot of things that he's said aren't even important any more because so much has changed since 2002. So using this interview to try and defend Shudo's legacy is a real stretch...

I respect Takeshi Shudo, but I do agree that his opinions [primarily those that he expressed in his blog] tend to be somewhat exaggerated. If most of his personal ideas from his blog and novelizations had actually been implemented into the anime directly and remained consistent throughout the years, then things might've been different, but I don't think that Daiki Tomiyasu's comments are meant to support Takeshi Shudo's vision of the anime.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
No one is saying they directly support the vision but they do line up fairly well in my opinion.

Also, I wasn't implying Tomiyasu's coments confirming or supporting but rather the answer he's gotten from Yuyama who we know has worked with Shudo.

You shouldn't overestimate for sure, but underestimate is a mistake as well.

Of course, some of the things he had stabilished back in the day were deemed invalid. Things such as his explanation for how the gym leaders and badges were created certainly will be ignored whenever GF decides to reveal new region number n as the creator of the gyms and stuff.

But things concerning Ash's and TR's base character? I wouldn't rule out.

As far as I know people in the anime industry has some sense of "artistry" and Japan does have a culture of respecting your seniors so it's not far from a stretch to think new staff minds the original intent behind the characters. In many ways, we can say he's the creator of Ash, Jessie, James and Meowth even if they are based on characters from RGB

Also, we don't know if the anime has an equivalent to american industry's "series bible". Many of things Shudo says appears, at least to me, things that have been discussed and decided back in the day. I recall reading he had no qualms to complain about the things he wanted to do but couldn't. So, I assume his views on Ash and Team Rocket are things they considered.

As I said above, his comments on Ash's father line well with what Hidaka's said when PokéBeach asked them about it. I'd say how he portrayed Ash's and Delia's dynamics on the novelization lines quite well with all scenes of them we've seen over the years as well.

Worthy pointing out that according to Lavacut's translations, Shudo's got a lot of liberty and control to do the Mewtwo movie after the Porygon incident because the higher ranks thought he show would be doomed. After Mewtwo's movie made them money, he got even more control for Lugia's.

The revelation he was a part in the decision to change the cast for AG is interesting because by that point one would assume he wasn't involved in the show anymore. For me it shows that even if he was distant his opinions were considered.

And who's to say the stuff Shudo's set for Ash and TR aren't things Yuyama himself believes and adheres to? Given his position, that's not out of the realm of possibility. Some of this are probably things both had agreed with back in the day so if new director number 9 asks about Ash's true motives for wanting to be a master, he might just mention the daddy issues Shudo's talked about because those were things they decided together, as a team. Judging for the few entries we had translated and paraphrased, it seems clear to me he always made distinction between what he think and what was decided by the people who made the show.

TL;DL, I feel like since he was the one who was tasked to create the first anime's structure, I think there's some degree of consideration about what he stabilished for Ash and TR as characters. Only the more out there explanations for things like how Pokéballs came to be or why gyms were created would probably be overtuned since they are game elements. But our Pallet boy and the 3 stooges? Pure Shudo.

Applecorp

At least the interview confirms that all gym leaders will appear in the anime, so I hope the few people who claim they won't show all of the gym leaders because Galar barely appears will read this.

Unless their plans change. Besides he said that he thinks they'll show up not that he's promising that they definitely will. Nothing's set in stone in the Pokemon anime so I won't hold my breath that Tomiyasu's comments are the words of god.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Applecorp said:
Unless their plans change. Besides he said that he thinks they'll show up not that he's promising that they definitely will. Nothing's set in stone in the Pokemon anime so I won't hold my breath that Tomiyasu's comments are the words of god.

I think that it makes sense for all the Galar Gym Leaders to debut since they're new characters that a lot of viewers want to see. I'd much rather see Satoshi battle them in future World Championship ranked battles than watch him battle anime-exclusive characters.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
So the main take away is that all the Gym Leaders will be shown and Ash is just doing this for nothing?

Seriously though, it was an interesting read. I'm usually not one to look behind the scenes unless it's brought up in discussions here but this was great nonetheless even if it's not much in retrospect