• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What abilities should they be given?

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Infernape - Truant (plz yes yes plz plz)
Torterra - Solid Rock
Magnezone - Levitate
Probopass - LEvitate

And more I'll think of later...

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
(...) The only reason Durant's got Truant is because of Entrainment...

AND the awesomeness of the pun Tru-Ant. One of the more shining moments of Game Freak's serendipitous gaffes.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
Based on Pokedex entries...

Volcarona: Drought.

Magcargo: Something that nullify water attacks.(sapphire dex entry).

Articuno: Snow warning.

I´m too lazy to look for more right now.
I agree with all of these. There are lots of things mentioned in dex entries that don't appear in the Pokemon's move pool, stats, or abilities that should do (like Escavalier's speed). I particularly like the idea of Magcargo's. Maybe an ability that causes the opponents accuracy to fall if they hit it with a water-type move. Or one that means Water and Ice do no damage, but lower its speed (because I imagine being made of lava means you can't move so well if it starts to cool). It'd be great in Trick Room.

One thing that has annoyed me since Gen V came out, is that Stoutland has Sand Rush, but not Snow Cloak. Its dex entry specifically says that it rescues people from blizzards, in mountains, even in the sea, but nowhere is there anything about sandstorms.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
He was kidding, as he hates Infernape.

Staraptor should get Gale Wings.

Let's let Bird Jesus regain his title by giving Pidgeot Gale Wings.

Actually, let's all just face it for a second; Gale Wings is the best new ability to come around since Technician. It takes an average stat creature and turns it into THE Flying-type to have on a team. Even something with no STAB Flying but some Flying-type moves could benefit from this awesome ability. Aerial Ace and Acrobatics are Flying-type (for crying out loud). Could you imagine something activating the Flying Gem with Acrobatics and getting the priority through Gale Wings, even before STAB?! That's a lot of firepower for a type that can do damage to everything in the game, however small.

But Pidgeot has more mediocrity associated with it than any other Flying-type Pokémon out there. It really has nothing left that's niche to claim, or even all that useful that something else can't do better. But Gale Wings would give it unbelievable utility, without a 4x weakness to stuff and defenses that it could actually use! Speed, defense, and even some power would make Pidgeot go from zero to hero in a flash.

Rio!

Composer

Actually, let's all just face it for a second; Gale Wings is the best new ability to come around since Technician. It takes an average stat creature and turns it into THE Flying-type to have on a team. Even something with no STAB Flying but some Flying-type moves could benefit from this awesome ability. Aerial Ace and Acrobatics are Flying-type (for crying out loud). Could you imagine something activating the Flying Gem with Acrobatics and getting the priority through Gale Wings, even before STAB?! That's a lot of firepower for a type that can do damage to everything in the game, however small.

But Pidgeot has more mediocrity associated with it than any other Flying-type Pokémon out there. It really has nothing left that's niche to claim, or even all that useful that something else can't do better. But Gale Wings would give it unbelievable utility, without a 4x weakness to stuff and defenses that it could actually use! Speed, defense, and even some power would make Pidgeot go from zero to hero in a flash.

^SERIOUSLY. All this.
Actually until Hoenn, these Flying/Normal typed birds haven't been all that spectacular, stat-wise.

Rio!

Composer
Aerodactyl Rock Head would give it an uber Brave Bird

Or even Head Smash. I don't see why bother giving a Pokemon this ability when it doesn't get a STAB move that benefits from it. XD

I just wish Archeops would get Rock Head or something so after one use, half your health is already gone, thus kicking in Defeatist.

MachoCheeze

Uh-huh, honey
Someone said Solid Rock Torterra and hoo boy that would make me so happy! Torterra is my fav. and neither of it's abilities are that great.

But about Gale Wings Pidgeot, I still think Talonflame would outclass Bird Jesus. TF has the ever useful Fire STAB and lots of utility with Will-o-Wisp if you're going for a support set. Steel types would completely wall Pidgeot, plus his defensive stats aren't all that great. Talonflame might have lower, but he has a handful of useful resistances and Defog/Rapid Spin takes care of hazards easily. Pidgeot is just a pretty outclassed Pokemon competitively sadly even with GW.

Now something that would be a sight to see would be Aerilate Chatot or Swellow would be crazy. After a Nasty Plot Chatot could 2KO almost the entire meta game. Swellow wouldn't do as well but it'd be funny to run a Sp. Attacking Swellow.

Tonguetyd

OK, how about this one: Magmortar gets Quick Feet. Mostly because he's awesome. Mostly.

Gampi

ガンピ
The Pawniard line should have Tough Claws. They're covered in blades and have a high Attack, so it makes sense. Zoroark should have Imposter as a hidden ability, that would be a ton of fun.

Bakphoon™

Heated Fury
Wow that would make Staraptor seriously good. It would become much better in competitive battling if it had that ability.

Agreed.

Agreed, with Gale Wings and high attack, its definitely gonna be a hero :D

Mew The Gato

Staraptor is already an incredibly dangerous Pokemon. Its Reckless boosted Brave Bird and Double Edge destroy even things that resist it.

It is already so frightening that Gale Wings would make it ridiculous. Unlike Talonflame, it is not limited by mediocre Attack. Brave Bird given priority by Gale Wings is the last thing we need. Average Speed is pretty much the only thing preventing Staraptor from smashing through a lot of things, besides low defenses. It shall not miss the offense drop from losing Reckless.

Bakphoon™

Heated Fury
Staraptor is already an incredibly dangerous Pokemon. Its Reckless boosted Brave Bird and Double Edge destroy even things that resist it.

It is already so frightening that Gale Wings would make it ridiculous. Unlike Talonflame, it is not limited by mediocre Attack. Brave Bird given priority by Gale Wings is the last thing we need. Average Speed is pretty much the only thing preventing Staraptor from smashing through a lot of things, besides low defenses. It shall not miss the offense drop from losing Reckless.

^
TOTALLY Agreed.
Brave Bird, Sky Attack will surely wreck every Pokémon.

Rio!

Composer
Someone said Solid Rock Torterra and hoo boy that would make me so happy! Torterra is my fav. and neither of it's abilities are that great.

This would make me happy too, srsly.

Now something that would be a sight to see would be Aerilate Chatot or Swellow would be crazy. After a Nasty Plot Chatot could 2KO almost the entire meta game. Swellow wouldn't do as well but it'd be funny to run a Sp. Attacking Swellow.

CHATOT. YES.
It's already annoying you can't even use it's own signature Chatter (not to mention it potentially being the strongest Flying STAB move it even has) and doesn't have an alternative for online play. Ugh.

Rakansen

ラルフ
I feel like Parental Bond Mantine would be very interesting. Of course, it would be renamed but I think it would be a cool concept, with the Remoraid clinging to Mantine.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
I feel like Parental Bond Mantine would be very interesting. Of course, it would be renamed but I think it would be a cool concept, with the Remoraid clinging to Mantine.
That's actually an awesome idea. Imagine Mega Mantine, with a more cannon-like Remoraid arsenal along its wings and boosted Sp. Attack (and Speed would be nice). Or perhaps it could incorporate Mantykes so that the name "Parental Bond" would make more sense. Either way, sounds pretty epic to me, and Mantine deserves more time in the sun.

I also second that Chatot with Gale Wings would be epic. Being finally able to make use of that nice Sp. Attack would be amazing.