• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What abilities would be great as new additions better if they were upgraded?

Ultimate Champion

The Great Pokémon Master
I think it's great.

Do you REALLY want RBY Mewtwo again? X_X That was Amnesia's effect in RBY, since there was only Special.

I know. That Ability was inspired exactly by the nature of Amnesia in Generation I. In the Generation V Übers metagame, I don't think it would be anywhere near as powerful as it was in Generation I though, due to the omnipresence of Choice Scarf, extremely powerful physical priority attacks such as the ExtremeSpeed of Arceus-Normal and Rayquaza (and against Mewtwo specifically, Giratina-O's Shadow Sneak), the EVs system which was around ever since Generation III (which prevents Mewtwo from being as bulky as it was in Generation I without sacrificing its Speed and Special Attack), as well as the fact that Mewtwo is no longer anywhere close to as resilient to special attacks as in the past. In fact, I highly doubt that Mewtwo with the Forbidden Memories Ability would be better than Arceus anyway.

While it is definitely true that being banned from a tier because of its clauses is not the same thing as being banned for being broken, the reason why those clauses exist is because they are necessary. They are always on by default in Ubers because even Ubers doesn't like them. If you went to the PO forums and suggested the clauses to be turned off, you'd probably get a bunch of replies saying things like "No way evasion is OP'd" and "Moody is as broken as heck". It is completely possible for a Pokémon to be broken in Ubers. Whether it should be banned or not is entirely up to the server admins because there is no law that states nothing can be banned from Ubers.

I never said that it is impossible for a Pokémon to be "broken" in Übers. I personally think Arceus comes close, while Dragonaurus would definitely qualify if it existed. But I've read countless threads in the Policy Review forum on Smogon, and the official policy seems to be that individual Pokémon cannot possibly be banned from Übers regardless of how "broken" they may be, while moves and Abilities can be an exception under clauses. If this wasn't the case, then I believe that Arceus would have been suspect tested in its own tier a long time ago.

Justified
Old: Raises attack when hit by a Dark-type move

New: Raises highest stat when hit by a Dark-type move

Explanation: Justified is a good ability on a lot of it's users, but Keldeo doesn't really benefit from it. Due to Keldeo's high Special Attack, it would raise that instead of its Attack.

^Or it raises Atk and SpA when hit by a Dark move. That would make it useful for all users without making it overly complicated. Also, Justified should make its users immune like Storm Drain/Motor Drive/Sap Sipper/Flash Fire/whatever else.

^Or it raises Atk and SpA when hit by a Dark move. That would make it useful for all users without making it overly complicated. Also, Justified should make its users immune like Storm Drain/Motor Drive/Sap Sipper/Flash Fire/whatever else.
I was thinking about that too. I thought it might be a bit overkill since then there would be more mixed sweepers with that modification, but if competitive battlers are okay with it, then that would be awesome.

Run Away

Old: ensures get away from wild pokemon battles

New: the pokemon is unaffected by the moves mean look and spider web, and abilities like shadow tag and magnet pull.

If someone lock you down into one pokemon and tries to set up stat boosts such as calm mind because of a bad match up you can still switch regardless and put a halt to the set up before its too late.

Ultimate Champion

The Great Pokémon Master
New Ability: Spiritual Pressure

When a Pokémon with this Ability is out in battle, every other Pokémon that is out on the field (including the user's allies in a Double or Triple Battle) lose a number of HP at the end of each turn, by the following formula:

((BST1 - BST2)/200)*L

Where:

BST1 = the base stat total of the Pokémon with this Ability.
BST2 = the base stat total of the Pokémon that loses health.
L = the level of the Pokémon that loses health.

Pokémon are immune to the effect of this Ability if they meet at least one of the following criteria:

- They are of the Dark type.
- They have a base stat total higher than that of the Pokémon with Spiritual Pressure.
- They also have the Spiritual Ability, unless their base stat total is 100 or more points below that of the other Pokémon with the same Ability.
- They are at least 10 levels higher than the Pokémon with the Spiritual Pressure Ability.

Also, this Ability has a secondary effect, in which the damage dealt by any attack against a Pokémon with this Ability is multiplied by the attacker's base stat total divided by the base stat total of the Pokémon with the Spiritual Pressure Ability. This secondary effect does not take place if at least one of the following criteria is met:

- The move that is used against the Pokémon with this Ability is of the Dark type.
- The attacker has a base stat total higher than that of the Pokémon with Spiritual Pressure.
- The attacker also has the Spiritual Ability, unless their base stat total is 100 or more points below that of the other Pokémon with the same Ability.
- The attacker is at least 10 levels higher than the Pokémon with the Spiritual Pressure Ability.

A third effect that this Ability has is that the Pokémon with this Ability is immune to the effects of any stat lowering status moves (excluding Memento), non-damaging Status ailment inducing moves, moves like Taunt and Torment, and so on (basically, all the moves that Magic Bounce and Magic Coat reflect. This also means that the presence of a Pokémon with the Spiritual Pressure Ability on the field can also prevent an opponent's Pokémon from setting up entry hazards) used by any Pokémon whose base stat total is 100 or more points lower than that of the Pokémon with this Ability.

ashsinnoh

New Ability: Spiritual Pressure

When a Pokémon with this Ability is out in battle, every other Pokémon that is out on the field (including the user's allies in a Double or Triple Battle) lose a number of HP at the end of each turn, by the following formula:

((BST1 - BST2)/200)*L

Where:

BST1 = the base stat total of the Pokémon with this Ability.
BST2 = the base stat total of the Pokémon that loses health.
L = the level of the Pokémon that loses health.

Pokémon are immune to the effect of this Ability if they meet at least one of the following criteria:

- They are of the Dark type.
- They have a base stat total higher than that of the Pokémon with Spiritual Pressure.
- They also have the Spiritual Ability, unless their base stat total is 100 or more points below that of the other Pokémon with the same Ability.
- They are at least 10 levels higher than the Pokémon with the Spiritual Pressure Ability.

Also, this Ability has a secondary effect, in which the damage dealt by any attack against a Pokémon with this Ability is multiplied by the attacker's base stat total divided by the base stat total of the Pokémon with the Spiritual Pressure Ability. This secondary effect does not take place if at least one of the following criteria is met:

- The move that is used against the Pokémon with this Ability is of the Dark type.
- The attacker has a base stat total higher than that of the Pokémon with Spiritual Pressure.
- The attacker also has the Spiritual Ability, unless their base stat total is 100 or more points below that of the other Pokémon with the same Ability.
- The attacker is at least 10 levels higher than the Pokémon with the Spiritual Pressure Ability.

A third effect that this Ability has is that the Pokémon with this Ability is immune to the effects of any stat lowering status moves (excluding Memento), non-damaging Status ailment inducing moves, moves like Taunt and Torment, and so on (basically, all the moves that Magic Bounce and Magic Coat reflect. This also means that the presence of a Pokémon with the Spiritual Pressure Ability on the field can also prevent an opponent's Pokémon from setting up entry hazards) used by any Pokémon whose base stat total is 100 or more points lower than that of the Pokémon with this Ability.

Why no Bankai then? Jk, (lol Bleach puns), sounds interesting, but I think that passive damage could be dealt instead of using calcs like that. I mean something as sands and hail passive damage.

Ultimate Champion

The Great Pokémon Master
Heh, Bleach actually was the source of inspiration for that Ability, along with Hierro (another Ability I created earlier in this thread).

Also, are you proposing that Spiritual Pressure should deal the same amount of damage each turn as Sandstorm and Hail? Because that wouldn't suit this Ability in my opinion, as the point of this Ability is for stronger Pokémon (those with a high base stat total) to passively damage weaker Pokémon (those with a lower base stat total) with their spirit energy, with this damage being greater depending on the difference in power between the two Pokémon (just like how characters with extremely huge spirit energy in Bleach like Kenpachi, Yamamoto and Aizen can bring their foes down to their knees with that energy alone if there is a vast enough difference in power, while the effect of this energy is less noticeable the closer the two characters' power levels are together).

Run Away

Old: ensures get away from wild pokemon battles

New: the pokemon is unaffected by the moves mean look and spider web, and abilities like shadow tag and magnet pull.

If someone lock you down into one pokemon and tries to set up stat boosts such as calm mind because of a bad match up you can still switch regardless and put a halt to the set up before its too late.

Well that is more useful than its previous version, it still is relatively useless, as everything with Run Away has a better ability to use. In addition, nothing that is prone to being trapped has access to Run Away as an ability anyway.

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
Illuminate. My poor watchog has it and it's ability is only good for attracting more wild pokemon, something I tend to avoid. I wish it at least had an in-battle effect. Something like it has better evasion. It'd kinda be like an ability version of flash. So maybe flashing when it enters the battle similar to intimidate and drizzle going off when the pokemon enters the battle.

Justified
Old: Raises attack when hit by a Dark-type move

New: Raises highest stat when hit by a Dark-type move

Explanation: Justified is a good ability on a lot of it's users, but Keldeo doesn't really benefit from it. Due to Keldeo's high Special Attack, it would raise that instead of its Attack.
Maybe make atk raise if atk is higher than the ability holder's sp atk and sp atk raise if that's higher than its atk. That way the defences and speed won't have a chance to get increased.

Ilan

Illuminate. My poor watchog has it and it's ability is only good for attracting more wild pokemon, something I tend to avoid. I wish it at least had an in-battle effect. Something like it has better evasion. It'd kinda be like an ability version of flash. So maybe flashing when it enters the battle similar to intimidate and drizzle going off when the pokemon enters the battle.

Maybe make atk raise if atk is higher than the ability holder's sp atk and sp atk raise if that's higher than its atk. That way the defences and speed won't have a chance to get increased.
Why you even use watchog? anyway it is competitive section no in*-game section

and Trainer R your abilities are too OP..

New ability: Sleep Walker
Effect: when this pokemon is asleep it chooses a random attack to use each sleep turn
rulling: in the turn he wakes up it uses the move the trainer chooses like normal

it is an ability for sleep talk seems logical.

New Ability: Extreame absorber
effect: every absorbing move (giga drain,drain punch,leech seed) absorbs 1.5x more than normal.
ruling: don't affect dream eater.

now something stupid:
New Ability: Gomu Gomu no Mi (one piece)
effect: user is not affected by electric normal and fighting attacks, all STAB attacks have 2x boost instead of 1.5x.

Ability: Armament Will Power (Busoshoku Haki)
Effect: user can hit Every type with every move if a pokemon were to be immune to a move then the move will be neutral instead,When the user enter the battle his defenses raise 1 stage.

Well that is more useful than its previous version, it still is relatively useless, as everything with Run Away has a better ability to use. In addition, nothing that is prone to being trapped has access to Run Away as an ability anyway.

That's true I just thought of that because I caught a shiny raticate while calibrating in platinum and I sweatdropped when I saw it had run away instead of guts. I just made this out of grief. T.T

Why you even use watchog? anyway it is competitive section no in*-game section

and Trainer R your abilities are too OP..

New ability: Sleep Walker
Effect: when this pokemon is asleep it chooses a random attack to use each sleep turn
rulling: in the turn he wakes up it uses the move the trainer chooses like normal

it is an ability for sleep talk seems logical.

New Ability: Extreame absorber
effect: every absorbing move (giga drain,drain punch,leech seed) absorbs 1.5x more than normal.
ruling: don't affect dream eater.

These both sound like they'd be fair abilities, although I'm wondering what sort of Pokemon would get your proposed 'Sleep Walker' ability.

now something stupid:
effect: user is not affected by electric normal and fighting attacks, all STAB attacks have 2x boost instead of 1.5x.

This sounds somewhat overpowered, especially with the immunities to all three types. How about instead of that they take resisted damage, even if one of their types would normally be weak to Electric or Fighting?

Effect: user can hit Every type with every move if a pokemon were to be immune to a move then the move will be neutral instead,When the user enter the battle his defenses raise 1 stage.

Basically a Aiming Mark-like ability that affects your opponent instead of you? Could be fun, although the +1 defenses don't seem to have much in common with it. Maybe separate those into two different abilities?

Zachmac

New ability.

Upload: Raised defense or special defense apon entering battle, depending on the enemy's strongest attacking stat.

New ability.

Upload: Raised defense or special defense apon entering battle, depending on the enemy's strongest attacking stat.

Honestly, I'm surprised GF hasn't come out with something like this. I'm assuming that it's like download in regards to how the stats are boosted?

Soperman

The One and Only
Porygon2 is always a defensive eviolite user. I think it'd love this ability more then download anyday.
Seriously, it's like Intimidate, but for either stat and it stays that way.
Also, Anticipation should be upgraded.
Anticipation
Old: Warns when the foe knows 1-hit KO or super-effective moves
New: Same as before but gives 20% Evasion boost against SE moves OR decreases power of SE moves by 25%

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
Seriously, it's like Intimidate, but for either stat and it stays that way.
Also, Anticipation should be upgraded.
Anticipation
Old: Warns when the foe knows 1-hit KO or super-effective moves
New: Same as before but gives 20% Evasion boost against SE moves OR decreases power of SE moves by 25%

No, its really not like intimidate at all.

I like that idea though. As Zachmac stated it would be great on Pory2.

Vandslaux

The first one defeats the point of Adaptability in a Magic Guard>Overcoat-esque situation.
Second one, if any spinner got this..