• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What abilities would be great as new additions better if they were upgraded?

PokeMaster366

What abilities would be great as new additions or better if they were upgraded?

One day, I was just sitting around with a bored expression thinking about how much better after the upgrades it got (A natural Focus Sash as opposed to protection against Horn Drill), so I had the idea: What sort of new abilities or upgraded abilities could we have to make some pokemon more interesting or usable? This is basically a thread where you use your creative juices to come up some creative ideas for new abilities or old ability upgrades like the one listed above. If you're posting a new ability, just post the name of it and what it does. If it's an upgrade/update of a previous ability, put it in the same format as the example below.

Keen Eye:

Old: Opponent cannot lower the user's accuracy.

New: User is unaffected by boosts in the target's Evasion stat (regardless of whether it's boosted by a move like Minimize or an ability like Snow Cloak)

In this example, I listed what the ability does now and below it, I typed in what I would have wanted the ability to do if changes are someday made to it. There's only a few rules that I want people to follow though.

1. The ability effect must have some sort of relevance to its name.
2. There is to be no talk about new abilities that would break the metagame (So no talking about an updated Wonder Guard that would also protect against residual damage like Magic Guard).
3. We're simply talking about abilities, NOT which pokemon they would be great or broken on. And
4. HAVE FUN WITH YOUR IMAGINATION! :)

That is all, now start creating.

Ultimate Champion

The Great Pokémon Master
Turboblaze

Old: Moves can be used regardless of Abilities.

New: Moves can be used regardless of Abilities, and the user's Fire-type moves do not get weakened in the rain.

Teravolt

Old: Moves can be used regardless of Abilities.

New: Moves can be used regardless of Abilities, and the user's Electric-type moves can also hit Ground-type Pokémon for neutral damage.

Luthor

Old illuminate:Raises the likelihood of meeting wild Pokémon.
New illuminate:decrease opponents accuracy by 30% when attacks are used against this pokemon.

Old Justified: Raises Attack when hit by a Dark-type move.
New Justfied:Raises Attack when hit by a Dark-type move and grants an immunity to damage from dark type attacks.

what do you guys think? any good?

irock245

She wants it
Old illuminate:Raises the likelihood of meeting wild Pokémon.
New illuminate:decrease opponents accuracy by 30% when attacks are used against this pokemon.

Old Justified: Raises Attack when hit by a Dark-type move.
New Justfied:Raises Attack when hit by a Dark-type move and grants an immunity to damage from dark type attacks.

what do you guys think? any good?

I think it would illuminate would be a bit broken. Garchomp is more manageable in sand than some think, but sand veil (having a +20% evasion rate, making all attacks hit 80% of their origionla accuracy) made it truly broken. Now this could potentially do the same thing, but with more of a boost without weather.

I'd love the justified boost though.

Ultimate Champion

The Great Pokémon Master
Multiscale

Old: Halves the power of any attacks the user receives when it has full health.

New: Halves the power of any attacks the user receives when it has full health, and also makes the user immune to damage from Hail, Sandstorm, entry hazard, Rough Skin, Iron Barbs and Rocky Helmet while at full health.

Multiscale

Old: Halves the power of any attacks the user receives when it has full health.

New: Halves the power of any attacks the user receives when it has full health, and also makes the user immune to damage from Hail, Sandstorm, entry hazard, Rough Skin, Iron Barbs and Rocky Helmet while at full health.

id like it but it would be far too broken

Intimidate

old effect: lowers attack when the user switches in

new effect: whenever an opposing pokemon switches in the opponents attack is lowered

Ultimate Champion

The Great Pokémon Master
Inner Focus

Old: Pokémon with this Ability cannot flinch.

New: Pokémon with this Ability cannot flinch, and can also unleash a Focus Punch even if it gets attacked while tightening its focus.

Soperman

The One and Only
Light Metal
Old: This Pokémon's weight is halved.
New: This Pokémon's weight is halved AND it resists Ground type attacks.
Note: RESISTS, not IMMUNE TO.

Defeatist
Old: If it's HP drops below 50%, Attack is decreased
New: If its HP drops below 33%, Attack is decreased.

Stall
Old: The Pokémon always attacks last.
New: Pokemon's Defense and Special Defense increase by 50% if the opponent goes first.

Ultimate Champion

The Great Pokémon Master
Air Lock

Old: Weathers have no effect while a Pokémon with this Ability is in play.

New: When a Pokémon with this Ability is sent out, any existing weather on the field completely disappears.

Air Lock

Old: Weathers have no effect while a Pokémon with this Ability is in play.

New: When a Pokémon with this Ability is sent out, any existing weather on the field completely disappears.

A definite yes.

Water Veil
Old: Prevents the Pokemon from getting burned.
New: Prevents the Pokemon from getting burned or being put to sleep.

Ultimate Champion

The Great Pokémon Master
Defiant

Old: Raises the user's Attack by two stages every time one of its stats gets lowered, but does not get triggered by self-induced stat drops from moves such as Superpower.

New: Raises the user's Attack by two stages every time one of its stats gets lowered. Gets triggered even by self-induced stat drops from moves such as Superpower.

Zachmac

Defiant

Old: Raises the user's Attack by two stages every time one of its stats gets lowered, but does not get triggered by self-induced stat drops from moves such as Superpower.

New: Raises the user's Attack by two stages every time one of its stats gets lowered. Gets triggered even by self-induced stat drops from moves such as Superpower.
Then Primape could actually get some use. Just imagine choice scarf close combat with that. Much scarier then moxie scarfers.

Ultimate Champion

The Great Pokémon Master
That is very true. I was mainly thinking about Braviary in Dream World tiers though, as I think it would be awesome if it could get an Attack boost every time it uses Superpower, as I like this Pokémon a lot.

Cloud Nine
Old: All effects of weather are negated while the Pokémon is on the field.
New: All weather is removed when this Pokémon is sent out.

I know Pokemon Trainer R said the same thing but the only Pokémon with Air Lock is in Ubers. We have weather inducers so why not weather removers? Golduck would be more useful.

Guts
Old: Attack is raised by 50% when the Pokémon has a status ailment. Ignores the Attack lowering effect of Burn.
New: Same as old but +100%

Will this be overpowered? Because I always thought Guts boosted attack by 100% until I looked it up on Serebii.net

PokeMaster366

Heavy Metal

Old: User's weight is doubled
New: User's physical attack is boosted by 33%, but speed is halved.

This thread seems to be getting pretty popular, but try to think of some brand new abilities that could spice the meta up.