• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What actually makes a pokemon region likeable?

PDL

disenchanted
We've seen alot of polls, topics and general discussion about them, and it's often hotly contested which game region is the best one. But what really make a region enjoyable in the first place?

For me, what makes a region most enjoyable would be the ecology of the pokémon. To put it in layman's terms, what kind of pokémon are local to the region and available for capture.

First of, with a completely new region comes completely new pokémon. It's often very intruging to find a pokémon that is found in that region and nowhere. It's interesting to see what sort of role they fill in that particular region as well: For example, in Kanto there are Jigglypuff and Clefairy, however in Hoenn, Jigglypuff are present while Clefairy are nowhere to be found. Instead, there are Skitty, which take over the role of Clefairy (A cute pink thing that learns an attack that causes random effects, and evolves by moon stone.).

It's also interesting for me to see which old faces are in the region as well. Granted, there are a few that are obligatory. Pikachu and Psyduck are seen as mascot characters, thus they've appeared in every region thus far, and are likely to appear in the next, and Geodude, Zubat and Tentacool are always going to plague us (rocks, bats and jellyfish are found nearly all over the world, so it's not hard to imagine.). However, it's even more interesting to see pokémon that haven't really been given a chance to be properly represented, such as Ponyta or Aipom (Who actually used these guys before DP?). It's also cool to see pokémon who've you've never been seen in the same region all appearing quite close to eachother. (Misdreavus, Clefairy and Roselia together at last!)

Now, what would make me really happy would be to see a region that has Mawile, Misdreavus, Roselia, Clefairy, Ralts, Mareep and Houndour all available for capture before the E4. (Sinnoh doesn't really count since you have to beat the E4 to get the pokéradar and gamepak inserts)

So to repeat the question in the topic once more, what do you think makes a region likeable? I would prefer it if you thought it out rather then making a single line and leaving it at that.

EMike

Windchime Guy
The atmosphere. A world that feels naturally put together, human, real in it's own ways. As mentioned, where the Pokemon that are native to the region seem to be there for a reason, as if it's a place where they would grow and naturally evolve at, rather than just feeling pasted together.

Of course, that means the world has to be graphically interesting, with plenty of variety and memorable areas. A region has to stick out in my mind. This has nothing to do with the color quality, as I still think Johto looks far better than Hoenn or Sinnoh and GSC is obviously a GBC game :p

I would say everything about it. I kind of prefer Hoenn over Sinnoh because Hoenn to me seemingly had more original stuff in all their cities, unlike Sinnoh where some of the cities serve no purpose. The Hoenn cities looked more designed then the Sinnoh cities, except for Sunyshore. The amount of pokemon too, since pre-National Dex in Sinnoh, you could hardly find anymore, whereas in Hoenn there was more variety.

RYKUU

Water Trainer
i believe its the atmosphere the region has, i guess that makes it good or bad.

espeon_155

Pokemon Prof.
I'd say, the trainers....the gyms and the pokemon.....that's really what it's all about....