• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What anime are you watching thread 2.0 ~ Now with more upcoming weeaboo nonsense.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
I'm in the middle of Katanagatari. Its episodes are 50 minutes, though, so it's a bit harder to get through than most. I mostly like it, but MAL doesn't list it as a comedy when that's what it mostly is (so far), with a bunch of meta jokes. It is pretty funny, but the characters and plot kind of keep you off-balance, and the art is more cartoony, so it's been hard for me to get into, in conjunction with the longer runtime (usually I'll blow through episodes if I have time, but I started this one over a week ago and am on episode 5).

Kikas123

What 'bout My Star?
I'm in the middle of Katanagatari. Its episodes are 50 minutes, though, so it's a bit harder to get through than most. I mostly like it, but MAL doesn't list it as a comedy when that's what it mostly is (so far), with a bunch of meta jokes. It is pretty funny, but the characters and plot kind of keep you off-balance, and the art is more cartoony, so it's been hard for me to get into, in conjunction with the longer runtime (usually I'll blow through episodes if I have time, but I started this one over a week ago and am on episode 5).
Katanagatari is a slow burn. The growth of the characters and tyingit into the show's central themes is one of the highlights of the show for me. The central theme itself is wonderfully presented throughout the show. Katanagatari is a wonderful show and I hope you enjoy it a lot.

I finally got around to watching Samurai Flamenco. SamFlam starts out as a male model trying to fight petty crime as a fake Sentai and then becomes the wildest ride, probably the wildest I've watched. Even though episode 7 has been a meme for half a decade, I wasn't actually prepared for it. Super fun, I can't recommend it enough.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I finished watching the English dub of Sailor Stars, which also concludes the entirety of Sailor Moon in English which I started watching back in 1997-ish.

The next anime I plan to watch will possibly be Gundam Seed.

Sham

The Guardian of War
This show is pretty old (well old enough) but I recently started watching The Legend of Korra and I'm pretty impressed. I've been backsliding watching it all year but I'm on seasons two and its great. Not as good as Avatar but definitely it's own series

jaden767

Amphetamine
Started Steins;Gate because I kept seeing reaction videos on my Youtube recommendations for this series so I thought I'd give it a shot.

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
Been rewatching (Dub) Space Dandy and Shin Chan. At some point I want to watch the newer FLCL; whenever I have time to fully sit down and binge it.

Kikas123

What 'bout My Star?
Given that the third season is currently airing, I decided to start chewing through Chihiyafuru. Man I should have watched this show earlier. This show makes Karuta look like a ton of fun while introducing the rules and culture behind the game. Fuether, the characters are fantastic. They are unique with interesting, multi faceted, personalities and circumstances. The drama flows naturally out of the excellent characters and superb writing. I wholly reccomend the show to anyone who likes sports anime or shojou romance anime.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'm currently watching Black Clover and Vinland Saga. I started watching Black Clover around the middle of the current arc because I heard it was animated well, although I still prefer the manga. And Vinland Saga has been enjoyable so far, although I missed the most recent two episodes because I've been distracted by holiday movies.

RetroPokeFan

New to this site but Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's. Finally wrapped up all the dubbed episodes on New Year's Eve and I'll be starting the undubbed 5th season soon. Can't wait to see how the ending fares to that since I've been enjoying the show.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Finally got around to watching The Rising of the Shield Hero over the weekend. I've heard a lot about this show but it's even better than I expected. Naofumi is such an interesting character because he constantly gets discriminated against and he responds by engaging in some... questionable ethical decisions, but he's still a very kind person, and it opens up a very interesting dynamic between him and Raphtalia. Speaking of Raphtalia though, she's the main reason I like this show more than I thought I would, Episode 4 literally had me in tears at the end. It's official, Raphtalia is best waifu of all time.

So for those not familiar with RotSH's plot, Naofumi is the Shield Hero, one of four legendary heroes summoned to another world and the country of Melromarc to defend it against the Waves, interdimensional phenomena that summon hordes of monsters to their world to destroy everything. However, Naofumi is immediately discriminated against for being the Shield Hero, because his weapon is not useful for attacking, and so the other adventurers are unwilling to accompany him, the King refuses to support him, and his first companion (who is later revealed to be the princess) actually betrays him and falsely accuses him of a horrible crime (I won't specify due to forum rules, but you can probably guess). Despairing and bitter about how the people of Melromarc have treated him, he is convinced into buying a tanuki slave girl named Raphtalia (which is legal in Melromarc due to demihumans such as her growing strong and potentially dangerous very quickly) since slaves in Melromarc are bound by a magic slave crest and cannot betray him. Naofumi takes care of Raphtalia, feeds her, gives her proper clothing, teaches her to fight, even buys a ball for her after seeing other kids having fun with it, and by Episode 3 she's grown up (this is due to a quirk in tanukis that causes them to age by leveling up, not unlike evolution for Pokemon).

Now in Episode 4, the king, princess, and other heroes find out that Naofumi has a slave and are naturally disgusted by this, so they force Naofumi to fight in a duel against the Spear Hero and if Naofumi loses, they will take Raphtalia from him and free her. He manages to hold his own, but the princess cheats and casts a spell on him that causes him to lose. He tries to convince the King that she cheated, but he refuses to listen. Raphtalia's slave crest is forcibly removed, and she appears to walk away from Naofumi and abandon them, causing him once again to fall into despair at having everything taken away from him. But then, it's immediately shown that Naofumi was hallucinating, the other heroes and some of the court mages picked up on the foul play soon after. And Raphtalia, whose slave crest was really removed, continues to remain by Naofumi's side and admonishes the Spear Hero because she never asked or wanted to be freed, she actually enjoys being Naofumi's slave because he cares for her in a way that no one else in Melromarc has and has given her a purpose in life by having her accompany him to fight the Waves. Then she proceeds to go to Naofumi, embrace him, and pledges to remain by his side, not believing any of the things that have been said about him (then in Episode 5, she specifically asks for her slave crest to be put back on).

And the kicker in all of this is that all of this has little to do with their relationship as master and slave. In the aftermath of all of this, the other heroes are discussing the fallout of all of this and wondering if it's really okay to allow Naofumi to still keep her as his slave, to which one of them asks "Does that look like a normal master and slave?". And no, it really doesn't. All of the characteristics that make slavery so criminal and morally objectionable are absent in Naofumi and Raphtalia's relationship. He's not forcing her to do anything. He's not trying to wield power over her. He's not trying to take advantage of her. He's simply asking her to help him in his quest, and both of them act as equals and accept, comfort, and support each other.

I have to say, this episode, and that last scene in particular, speaks to me on a personal level. I mean, I'm not being accused of horrible crimes or anything as bad as what Naofumi goes through in this series, but still, I feel a sense that the world wants me to fail. But what changed things for Naofumi was that he was able to find someone who again, can accept, comfort, and support him. Unfortunately I don't have a person like this in my life and in fact this was something I didn't even know I wanted until I saw this episode. It's almost as if when I was watching that scene, as she was comforting Naofumi she turned to me and said "You see? This is how you overcome a world that's out to get you. You need to find someone like me who can love and accept you for who you are, someone who will remain at your side and tell you everything's going to be okay. No one can go at it alone in this world." I was literally in tears watching this episode because it feels like it hit so close to home.

I'm not usually one for discussions on anime waifus, but after this episode I can firmly say that Raphtalia is best waifu of all time. I find obsessing with fictional women to be pointless and out of touch with reality since they can't really love you back, but this feels different in a way because of just how personal this whole scene is. And while I can't actually physically interact with her as much as I would like to, I can at least try to find someone like her who actually can do all of the things for me that she has for Naofumi. After watching this show, it's become abundantly clear to me- I need a Raphtalia in my life.

Any takers?

EDIT: Oh wow, apparently the show's already been confirmed for two more seasons? Damn. I've rarely seen a show last beyond its 2nd season, and most of the ones I do know are the really big shows (DBZ, Naruto, One Piece, SAO, AoT, MHA). That says a lot.

Last edited:

BlueFlameCharizard

The Original Shiny Pokemon
If it counts, I'm looking forward to the next season of Castlevania on Netflix... Outside of that though I haven't watched much outside of snippets and clips from shows... There are a few shows I do want to watch though, namely Demon Slayer and My Hero Academia though...

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! IT LOOKS SO GOOOOOD!

@Aduro
@Blaze Master X
@Darthlord7
@wolf jani
@TheWanderingMist
@Ubermuk
@Leonhart

I AM DEFINITELY GOING TO WATCH THIS!

On another note, looking at the comments. I'm surprised how restrained the ToG fans are about spoilers so newcomers can also experience hatred for this one character. Saw one fan joked saying, "Finally! A worthy opponent for Griffith!" I hope the anime adaptation not only turns out great when it launches but that it's successful. In my opinion, I think Tower of God is easily better than One Piece or Naruto.

Also, I feel like I've seen this artstyle somewhere. I wonder who the director is?

Last edited:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I've been watching clips of the Duel Masters dub on YouTube & it's basically the same as I remember as a kid: it's generally bad & cringy but when they do a good joke it's absolutely hilarious. Plus, after watching it again I now see it as a kid-friendly version of an abridged series or the "Ghost Stories" dub

Last edited:

SatoSereFan224888

Pretty sure this one hasn’t been brought up but I’m watching Medabots on YouTube. I think it’s underrated. Doesn’t get much love these days.

SatoSereFan224888

Probably not because that series is waaay too old by now and it's only alive through its video game origin, which rarely ever leaves Japan.

And because the last season decided to write off beloved characters and replace them with edgy ones.
Man, Ikki was such a jerk in the early episodes.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Pretty sure this one hasn’t been brought up but I’m watching Medabots on YouTube. I think it’s underrated. Doesn’t get much love these days.
I've actually been thinking about Medabots lately, more specifically Mr. Referee since he was hands down one of the best characters in the show.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I keep adding shows when I haven't finished older ones lel. Anime Watching Challenges do that to me.

.hack//Sign - 4/26
Ace of Diamond - 48/75
Assassination Classroom 2nd Season - 1/25
Astro Boy (2003) - 10/50
Black Jack - 7/61
Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage - 6/12
Claymore - 4/26
Comic Party - 9/13
D.N.Angel - 2/26
Darling in the FranXX - 7/24
Days - 1/24
Di Gi Charat Nyo - 4/104