• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What anime series are you currently watching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
^ wtf bbq ;_;

Eve no Jikan (ONA) - Had this in my watch-bin for quite a while now because I heard it was really good, although I had a problem getting the subtitles to work, so I watched it without em’. First glance? Superb animation. Got a gist of some of the things that were said, and it seemed like a very interesting story.

After I finally got the subtitles to work? The story was just as I expected, but more. What we have here is big potential for a captivating, compelling narrative. The only thing that would weigh the story down is, without reading a REAL impressionable review, you’d think that this story would jump into a cliché human/robot story. Guess what?

It’s not.

The difference between how the androids “function” inside and outside of the café brings up a question that is likely to be explored in the next installments. Is it possible for an artificially-created android to act independently without their master’s command? In a general viewpoint, are they really all that different from humans? Everything is portrayed quite realistically, from what I can tell, in this episode. As we see in the ONA, some of their owners treat them like crap because they *assume* the androids are mindless drones. A great contrast to how we see Akiko and friends act in the café: they have real, humanly feelings.

The direction, the animation, the underlying tone and message of the story - all leading to a perfectly good setup for something potentially big.

My interests have been sparked. Can’t wait for the other five episodes.

[/copyandpastefrommyanimublog]

*cannot find a way to rewrite what he wrote above*

Last edited:

starrywater777

Ok, so i changed from school rumble to Shugo Chara! becuase I had a hard time finding episodes. Shugo Chara is supposed to be about an elementary girl who is cool and spicy at school but she wants to show her real self. The next day, she recieves three eggs. I'm only episode 1, so I don't really know much yet =/

HK

Radiance of Shadows
@Satoshi: Glad that you got around to the series. More people need to see it. And Pale Cocoon.

I take it you're proud of yourself?

Yessssss.

Seriously, I go into my nearby anime DVD store and saw a DVD series that looked like something you would like. I picked it up and mumbled to myself, "I wonder if Hellkorn's watched this...maybe I should ask him."

Then I laughed to myself. It was kinda funny.

Well, I have my anime list in my signature for a reason.

And damn it if Texhnolyze isn't addictive. My anime DVD store doesn't have the third volume (but they did, so they must've sold it) and they can't order it. I might have to resort to RightStuf...

Yes, you must! Post-haste, in fact!

Silly HellKorn. LOL

Silly as a ruptured lung!

those clasping fingers of yours

[img139]http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3333/gendosiconicposesb0.jpg[/img139]

latios reborn

To save me bumping the One piece thread I'll ask here would anyone know if and when the funimation dub of one piece would be hitting Aus or region 4 instead of just the US?

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior

Rumbling Hearts
Just brought the boxset, and it arrived today.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
Well, I watched the second volume of Haibane Renmei tonight. It was a sad part. I sympathized a lot with Rakka, since the things that were bothering her are the same kind of things that have been bothering me for a long while. It's not the same kind of pain because of her reasons, but... it's definitely a relevent anime for me at this time.

[SPOIL]I liked the creation myth Nemu and Rakka made up. It was charming. But I don't think I got all of its subtleties. One thing that did stand out to me was that the Haibane had to escape from God's head. It reminded me a bit of how they're imprisoned inside the wall. I thought what Kuu said about the glass finally being filled was interesting. The kanji for her name does mean sky, like she said at the beginning, but it can also mean empty. It's like she was an incomplete person, and she couldn't have her day of flight until she overcame that. If this anime is about life and death, I think it's saying that the point of life is spiritual growth. Which I strongly agree with. Kuu achieved that purpose in Glie, so it was time for her to move on.

The connection between the day of flight and death was very obvious. The part where the other Haibane left her halo at the ruins had the feeling of a funeral. The way the others reacted was also like the mourning of a death. I wonder if the halo has some connection to the physical body... every Haibane receives one when she comes to Glie, and Rakka had trouble getting used to hers, sort of like an infant has to learn to walk and stuff. And that was what the other Haibane found when Kuu left, and what they used in her "funeral." That may be stretching it, or an over-simplification, but it was something I thought. Oh! I thought it was interesting that the place where the day of flight happened is the Western Woods. The sun sets in the west, and the setting sun is often used as a metaphor for death and for the end of things. I don't know... I was just wondering why it was there and not at the gates, and that's what came to me.

The black on Rakka's wings seems to be symptomatic of not being able to move on emotionally. Reki had the same problem. With her, it seems like it might have been something that happened to her before she came to Glie that she can't let go of. It's like she couldn't accept the end of her old life, or something. She can't have her day of flight because she hasn't been able to let go. I was thinking that the wall might partly be a metaphor for the Haibanes' own emotional barriers. In any case, I felt bad for her when she talked about everyone leaving her behind...[/SPOIL]

I ordered volume 3 last night, since someone was selling a good copy for a cheap price. I hope I get it soon...

RagTag

Shroomin'
I just finished watching the final episode of Death Note, I feel like starting on another anime but I have no Idea what to watch any recommendations?

I just finished watching the final episode of Death Note, I feel like starting on another anime but I have no Idea what to watch any recommendations?

Watch Niea 7. It one of the really funny yet meaningful anime out there. It's a good watch.

Picked up a couple new shows over the summer...

1. Ouran High School Host Club. Like the other animé with a main character by the name of Haruhi(;)), I was surprised that it lived up to the fanbase hype. Quite funny and cute...with an awesome ending theme. Very much looking forward to the dub.

2. Tengan. Toppa. Gurren. LAGANN. Holy crap, look at all that hotbloodedness! And I'm watching the dub...even when knowing what would happen this week didn't make it any less heartbreaking.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
[SPOIL]I liked the creation myth Nemu and Rakka made up. It was charming. But I don't think I got all of its subtleties. One thing that did stand out to me was that the Haibane had to escape from God's head.[/spoil]

[spoil]It's actually a common archetype in creation myths -- part of the divine breaking away and becoming something less pure.[/spoil]

[spoil]It reminded me a bit of how they're imprisoned inside the wall. I thought what Kuu said about the glass finally being filled was interesting. The kanji for her name does mean sky, like she said at the beginning, but it can also mean empty. It's like she was an incomplete person, and she couldn't have her day of flight until she overcame that.[/spoil]

Oooh, good catch.

Would you be able to tell me the other meanings for the other Haibane's names? One of them is a key hint to a very, very important plot element (you'll find out in the last volume), and another is also revealed, but the other are never actually clarified.

If this anime is about life and death, I think it's saying that the point of life is spiritual growth. Which I strongly agree with. Kuu achieved that purpose in Glie, so it was time for her to move on.

[spoil]Oh! I thought it was interesting that the place where the day of flight happened is the Western Woods. The sun sets in the west, and the setting sun is often used as a metaphor for death and for the end of things. I don't know... I was just wondering why it was there and not at the gates, and that's what came to me.[/spoil]

I'd recommend reading this page for some of the bits of symbolism scattered throughout the series.

Edit:

What are you in the mood for? I have plenty to recommend.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
[SPOIL]It's actually a common archetype in creation myths -- part of the divine breaking away and becoming something less pure.[/SPOIL]

[SPOIL]Yes, but I was specifically thinking about the part about them escaping. It seems like typically, God just leaves the less pure as it is. At least, that's what I thought... Most of the Creation myths I know involve humans being made from the earth, which sort of goes back to that Earth Mother archetype.[/SPOIL]

Oooh, good catch.

Would you be able to tell me the other meanings for the other Haibane's names? One of them is a key hint to a very, very important plot element (you'll find out in the last volume), and another is also revealed, but the other are never actually clarified.

Thanks! Well, let's see... they said what their names meant in the first episode. Kana was "Fish swimming in a river," Nemu was "sleeping," and Hikari was "light." I know all the kanji in those names, and they don't seem to have any underlying meanings. Well, they do, but it's nothing you have to think about. Reki said that her name meant "stones," and Rakka is supposed to mean "falling." But I'd have to look up the kanji for those to see if there could be anything else going on there. Of course... with some of the simpler names, there may be play with what kanji it's written with. The same syllables can mean different things, and there is something to it sometimes.[SPOIL]You know, I was thinking, maybe it's not that Kuu was empty, but that she hadn't had enough life experiences to have completed her spiritual growth. Glie almost seems like a kind of Purgatory for the Haibane to work out things before they have their day of flight. If that's the case, and if they had died in their other lives... it seems to me that Reki must have died a violent death, and she can't get over it... But that's just a guess.[/SPOIL]

I'd recommend reading this page for some of the bits of symbolism scattered throughout the series.

Oh, thanks! I'll definitely look at that when I finish the series. I don't want to spoil anything right now, though.

RagTag

Shroomin'
Last edited:

Conquistador

Vive la Revolution!
I'm not really much of an Anime person, but recently I discovered Death Note yesterday. All I can say is that it is frikken awesome.

I absolutely love it. I'm up to episode 10 so far and I hope to have watched the whole series by the end of this week.

Too scared of spoilers to venture into the official thread though haha xD.

Ayindree

Deviously deviant
I happen to be watching Yu-Gi-Oh: The Shadow Games, AKA Season 0. x3

It's for the third time though, but I'm still watching it~

I just love it to bits. <3

I've even named my Umbreon after Yami.

Yeah, I'm a dork.~ xP

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
I happen to be watching Yu-Gi-Oh: The Shadow Games, AKA Season 0. x3

It's for the third time though, but I'm still watching it~

I just love it to bits. <3
"Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 0" doesn't exi-... Oh, screw it.

The first Yu-Gi-Oh! series is crap. Bad animation, messed up character designs, a shitload of useless manga-to-anime changes (that make NO SENSE), yadda yadda. The only redeeming quality was the music and voice actors. I honestly don't see what kind of appeal it has to make people like it better than the later series animated by NAS (which, to be honest, were also crap). lol it was ultra violent n depressingly bad.

Go read the manga.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
So I looked on that website you gave me, Hellkorn (I couldn't resist; fortunately, I didn't spoil anything for myself). They said some interesting things.
[SPOIL]I thought it was interesting that they mentioned the halo's round shape symbolizing eternity, and the fact that it comes from the wall reminds me of how our bodies are made of the earth and return to the earth. So my idea about the halos being connected to the physical body might actually be right. Oh, and what they said about cacoons was also interesting. They didn't mention that they can represent change, too, though. Oh, well, I don't know how much that would fit with the series. I missed a little about the crows... it is true that they're often seen as messengers of death, and that they can move between worlds. But I wasn't so sure if that was true in Japan, too. I know they're often seen as messengers of the gods there, but it seems to be a more positive connection than here. Ah, I also looked up the first character in Rakka's name, and it can mean "to regress" as well as to fall. That makes sense.[/SPOIL]

So. I got the third volume in the mail today. It was such a good one!
[SPOIL]I felt really bad for Rakka in the first couple of episodes. She was so chipper in the first episodes, but she gets so depressed... watching that reminded me of when I felt so depressed... Her depression was expressed very well, through facial expressions and vocalization. But what struck me the most was the way she moved. It was like she had no energy. That's so realistic, and came across very strong. It made me feel tired.

Loved the part where she fell in the well. That site also said something about wells representing birth and stuff... I hadn't heard that before, but it makes sense. Especially if you think about it in terms of rebirth. They also seem to represent wisdom and purification, which also makes a lot of sense, since Rakka has some revelations there, and she's no longer sin-bound when she comes out. It seems to be hinting strongly that Rakka committed suicide in her former life. So I think it probably is a sort of take on Purgatory. Not really as a punishment, just to help people who aren't ready to move on deal with things.

The wall, and the Western Woods, too, seem to also represent the boundary between life and death, but that's pretty obvious. It really interested me that there was a river inside the wall, because rivers appear so often in mythology about the underworld. Rome had the Styx, Japan has Yomi... Rivers also act as a boundary between the two worlds sometimes. What the Communicator said about sin was interesting. It's funny, I used to think about that same thing. I wonder what answer Rakka will come up with.

It seems like Haibane can actually die. That seems weird. If they're already dead from another life... then what happens? Do they just cease to exist, or what? It bothered me a little.

The part about Reki was interesting, too. I really like her character. She's complex and pretty realistic. I especially enjoyed the part where she talked to the Communicator. He seemed to act as a sort of subconscious for her in that scene. But I wonder what happens to Haibane who can't move on...[/SPOIL]

Anyway. I didn't pick up as much symbolism and stuff this time, I don't think maybe. I was too wrapped up in it on an emotional level. But I'm going to watch it again soon. I can't wait to see the conclusion.

Last edited:

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
Wow. You guys just inspired me to rewatch Haibane Renmei a fifth time. Well, Hakajin's borderline essay did. [img139]http://serebiiforums.com/images/icons/icon12.gif[/img139]

The pacing of some of the first episodes were a bit slow (that's what I thought the first time around, anyway), but I managed to get passed that and found that I was watching something really great.

... First, though, I need to find them DVDs of mine. Damn, I'm such a pack rat.

[img139]http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3333/gendosiconicposesb0.jpg[/img139]
loooooooooool

Last edited:

Ayindree

Deviously deviant
"Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 0" doesn't exi-... Oh, screw it.

The first Yu-Gi-Oh! series is crap. Bad animation, messed up character designs, a shitload of useless manga-to-anime changes (that make NO SENSE), yadda yadda. The only redeeming quality was the music and voice actors. I honestly don't see what kind of appeal it has to make people like it better than the later series animated by NAS (which, to be honest, were also crap). lol it was ultra violent n depressingly bad.

Go read the manga.

I do read the manga, I own a fair few volumes. >w>

I still like the Shadow Games season though, and all the rest of the seasons.

Just not GX. P:

Status
Not open for further replies.