• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What annoys you about the show?

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
My biggest issues:
- Johto's huge filler-fest
- Ash reverting back to a noob in BW
- Ambipom's rushed departure, clearly done solely to make way for the underwhelming Cyndaquil
- The Elesa Gym battle
- Ash's Indigo League loss
- Journeys as a whole
- Ash's Torterra never winning any battles after evolving
- Over-reliance on Kanto and Pokemon GO pandering
- Alola League having no entry requirement
- Female companions "not allowed" to battle in Gyms

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
>3 filler episodes are representative of the whole season
What logic do you operate on?
Are u dumb? First of all they arent fillers because they literally feature captures or goals being revealed/character debuts. Also the user talked about how when SM tries to act serious but fails so I gave her examples and asked her how she thought those episode failed in that?
Also Id like to add the 2 guzzlord episodes to my initial list

Morax

King of heroes
Are u dumb? First of all they arent fillers because they literally feature captures or goals being revealed/character debuts. Also the user talked about how when SM tries to act serious but fails so I gave her examples and asked her how she thought those episode failed in that?
Also Id like to add the 2 guzzlord episodes to my initial list
I'll give you the litten episode. The other two had no impact on the bigger picture, sounds filler to me. Expanding on this point : they were isolated stories that served no purpose other than petty reasons for "capture". Stoutland's death doesn't play a part in litten's development, Mallow's mom is a literal CotD who didn't exist until the day before, minior was utterly inconsequential. SM is full of these one-off episodes that don't have nothing to do with the endgame, they don't build-up towards anything. Not to mention the character themselves don't change at all, besides lillie.

Those 3 episodes are the only diamonds on the riverbed. There are plenty of other moments where SM failed the "serious" business. The league, aether and necrozma the most prominent examples.

Last edited:

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Why do we have such an AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING artstyle in the movies (especially in the recent ones), while the characters in the show its-self since SM look so cartoonish and ew? :/

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Why do we have such an AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING artstyle in the movies (especially in the recent ones), while the characters in the show its-self since SM look so cartoonish and ew? :/
It's no secret that made-for-theater movies have higher budgets than the shows with multiple episodes they're based on.

Sonnas

Because they're in a movie and usually they put more effort in those since you know it's an animated movie.

RafaSceptile

Its not what i meant. The series had nice artstyle from os to xy. After that it became cartoonish and ew
Because the artstyle as well as other aspects of anime in general like humor, etc. are a cultural thing that are changed eventually to adapt to different periods of time and for different audiences.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
• The very wild ups and downs in terms of writing quality. Sometimes the show is good, sometimes it’s absolutely terrible.
• The direction post-XY. I enjoyed SM and Journeys is watchable but for all my gripes about XY, oh how I miss a consistent story with consistent direction and quality.
• Them doing away with CG backgrounds. It really did make battles feel more dynamic and modern while giving the series a sense of sleekness.
• This sudden inability to write female characters properly. They’re either lacking in everything (Mallow) or lacking in one or two things while excelling most everywhere else (Serena, Lillie).
• Introducing interesting character traits and doing nothing with them. This is most prominent in Go; he had great setup that was just...forgotten? Like I don’t know how JN015 contributes anything to his character if all the stuff that could make him more interesting is never paid any mind.
• The lack of effort put into the companion’s rivals. The last time they made a companion’s rival be an actual character of their own was Zoe. Some rivals like Burgundy and Miette are fun personality-wise but there’s just not much to them in terms of character writing.
• The Power of Us artstyle never seeing the light of day after the movie. Of course OLM can’t be pumping out episodes with movie-tier animation but the general style and character design of that movie was brilliant. I want it back in some way.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I'll give you the litten episode. The other two had no impact on the bigger picture, sounds filler to me. Expanding on this point : they were isolated stories that served no purpose other than petty reasons for "capture". Stoutland's death doesn't play a part in litten's development, Mallow's mom is a literal CotD who didn't exist until the day before, minior was utterly inconsequential. SM is full of these one-off episodes that don't have nothing to do with the endgame, they don't build-up towards anything. Not to mention the character themselves don't change at all, besides lillie.

Those 3 episodes are the only diamonds on the riverbed. There are plenty of other moments where SM failed the "serious" business. The league, aether and necrozma the most prominent examples.
*Sigh*
The mallow episode literally has mallows backstory, her getting shaymin which stayed for the rest of the series, ash's torracat learning fire fang, Lillie and Gladion learning their father is alive. How the hell is that a filler???????
For the Sophocles episode we have Molaynes debut, Sophocles dream revealed, important character moment for both poipole and Sophocles (esp since this moment is highlighted in poipole's flashbacks). Also there are the guzzlord two parter episodes that nail the serious tone perfectly. These were the only 5 episodes which tried to go for a very serious tone and message in their storytelling and was in response to a user who were talking about such episodes. Also during the necrozma arc and Alola league it had its comedic moments, it had its serious moments, like SM is. You don't like that style, doesn't mean it's bad.
Because some of them feel like they’re trying to be emotional but it feels unearned or trying too hard to be feelsy.
Also I’m a male.
Hmm I never felt they tried too hard, felt pretty normal to me with how they approached the themes and it would be emotional based on the themes they were going for.
Also I'm really sorry if I used female pronouns for you, idk why I did that
Which Sophocles episode are you referring to?
The minior dying one
The Minior episode. Overall a good episode, but the worst of the three episodes he mentioned.
I mean I like them all equally, it is really underrated imo
Oh that one. I barely remember that one only know that it's the one where Poipole gets kinda sad when one of the Minior perishes.
I think that's kinda diminishing the episode, it was about Sophocles as well as poipole at the same time and how they dealt with letting go of a close one and seeing them go away, only it hit harder in this sense because the minior actually die

Also I don't get the complaints that rayquaza then swooped down? Its literally in accordance with the lore of both mons and made for a beautiful ending after the sad overtones of the episode. It's an amazing part of the episode for me