1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

What are all TCG references made in Pokemon Adventures?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Manga Discussion' started by ShinyPokemon inc., Nov 29, 2018.

1. ShinyPokemon inc.

ShinyPokemon inc. The Lighting King

Exactly as the title says. I know of some refernces such as Sird and the Kadabra Imposter Oak but I'm interested in knowing any other references.

2. lolipiece

lolipiece No Pokemon, only Sakka Staff Member Moderator

Just off the top of my head.

Super Rising Thunder, the move Gold's Pichu used to defeat the Mask of Ice is a reference to the Rocket's Raikou card, which had an attack named "Rising Thunder".

Two of the machines Carr uses in chapters 277 and 278 are based on the Pow! Hand Extension and Swoop! Teleporter cards, respectively.

In chapter 107, we actually see someone play the TCG at the Goldenrod Game Corner.

The ancient star language that Misty's Starmie wrote to send the message about the Elite Four getting the Badges and when it translated Suicune's words is based on the Ancient Mew card from the second Pokemon movie.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  3. shoz999

shoz999 No! That's impossible!

During Blue the female protagonist's first appearance, Blue scams Red by giving him a lot of fake items. A couple of them resemble TCG item cards, one of which Blue mentions is a Plus Power item.

4. lolipiece

Plus Power is the Japanese name of X-Attack. That was just a mistranslation.

5. BenLee really not taken

BenLee really not taken Well-Known Member

Does anyone know more characters from TCG who (or their appearance) is referenced in Pokémon special?
    I can only think of Sird and Roseanne.

shoz999 likes this.
  6. shoz999

... Sees Roseanne originally appeared in the TCG... drinks coffee... SPITS OUT COFFEE! WHAAAAAAT!?!?!?

7. lolipiece

Roseanne isn't from the TCG, just her design. She was an unnamed assistant in DP that got a name in the TCG, which they used in Platinum.

8. shoz999

Still quite a shocker though.

9. Redstar45

Redstar45 The Fire type master !

Not really that shocking as kusaka is typically tried do called in all Pokemon references there is in his own manga.

10. BenLee really not taken

Can I ask what are the names of those item cards?

11. shoz999

The card is simply called Plus Power.

12. BenLee really not taken

No, wait, I meant specificallly the fake items that Green sold to Red, which he then equipped on Pika.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/RXfGyQh

13. shoz999

I think all those are just made-up items. Although I do feel like I've seen that headband somewhere before...

14. BenLee really not taken

Wow, I was searching the whole internet for clues...

15. shoz999

Those images come from Pokemon Adventure RGB story arc, a Gen 1 story. Just look at Gen 1 support cards.

16. Redstar45

Redstar45 The Fire type master !

That just rpg nod as Japan seem to love those game

17. BenLee really not taken

Oh yeah, and I believe most of the PC storage holders have their appearance influenced from their trainer card, for example Cassius.