• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are aspects you dislike about your favorite characters?

DatsRight

Ash: I like this guy but he is unfortunately pretty dumb, and his lack of knowledge or fact of being incredibly dense can be highly irritating at times. Even for most obvious things like TR setting up trap through his friends could see through with no problem(special mention to Misty who was more skilled in that than any other companion).

Everyone seemed more apt against Team Rocket early on because the writers put way more effort and charm into their face-offs, even in some points of AG, Ash was savvy to some of their traps, seeing a TR pit coming a mile away (and even a backup one after) and scanning Meowth with a Pokedex when becoming suspicious of a disguise. It's only later on where, like I said earlier, the face-offs became completely automated, with the twerps falling for the dumbest of schemes to chain off the plot and TR always being curb stomped in some form with practically no developed effort or character input from the twerps whatsoever. Only a few odd characters like Clemont or Pikachu have had good cerebral face-offs with antagonists like the villain teams in modern episodes, and even then only in rare individual moments, otherwise it's just 'hero smash bad guy'. If Misty came back she would likely be exactly the same as Ash is right now.

Last edited:

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
Brock
- All his farewells were pretty weak. Most of them were understandable since he would usually come back but last one should have been less abrupt and more impactful
- His interactions with Dawn were weak and he became a bit of background character in a lot of DP

Serena
- Could have used at least one more Pokemon, maybe a water/ice/electric type to give her performances more variation
- Showcases are kinda meh and could have been executed better

Ash
- He and Pikachu are pretty boring on their own. They need to be interacting with other big characters/pokemon (excluding TR) to be interesting/engaging
- He's overstayed his welcome as the protagonist of the anime big time
- His dumbness gets on my nerves sometimes

Dawn
- Her cameo in BW was probably the weakest of all
- Her rivals were much less memorable than May's and she should've beaten Zoey

Redd

Brock: Guy got little development

Gary: Ditched his cheerleaders and car
Um, what? So first you complain about Brock getting little character development, and then complain about Gary getting development.

Besides, the convertible and cheerleaders were always a terrible idea on the writers' part. It misses the point of Blue/Gary. He thinks of himself as being extremely superior to Red/Ash and others, but this view is supposed to be his alone, as a result of his arrogance, not a common view shared by people around him. So he should never have had his own cheerleader squad. He should have wandered Kanto on his own and by foot, like in the games and other adaptations.

Johto Gary was a huge improvement over Kanto Gary.

Last edited:

DatsRight

While Lillie's overall personality is rounded enough, her actual limelight pre-Lumasine has been rather one note, revolving mostly around her phobia and not using this early point to focus on limelighting her role as a rookie trainer or on other aspects of her character such as her meekness. We haven't really seen her do much with Snowy either besides perpetually cradle her like a Togepi 2.0 (still only knows Powder Snow). I could be wrong and that's coming into fray later, but it feels like with the main plot now incoming, they've wasted the obligated time for all of that.

Well a year has passed and some of this has kind of been resolved, but new issues have started to prevail. Her games arc was predictably cut up and paced horribly in the anime's AF arc, with some elements like Faba's continued presence relying too much on plot enforced stupidity. And while she has boosted up a little throughout this year and is still pretty endearing, taking the role of the smart girl more frequently and keeping some awkward foibles like her 'try hard' personality, she still feels underplayed, lacking the heavier motivation of her games counterpart.

I'm also disappointed she still only has one Pokemon, and while Snowy is pivotal at least, she still feels rather underplayed. They also seem to be in an awkward stance with Lillie as a trainer, only letting her do sporadic things individually. They seem like they want to boost her as a battler at times as well, but like with the rest of the XY/SM girls they seem to object letting the cute widdle girls get beat up too much, so she's stuck with the same very sporadic one sided beatings (come on, where's that Battle Royal she wanted to do?). I do hope her getting a Z Crystal has more relevance than it did Lana, who still seldom does anything with hers.

Sometimes Lillie feels like a performer trapped in a small box. There's a cute character there that at least has the basics to work properly, but they won't let her agency boost up in any way right now. Let her get another Pokemon, let her do a proper battle, let her make SOME sort of change up.

Otherwise she's sweet enough as a character standalone (I like she takes part in the slapstick and wacky antics and general fallible moments, which the other girls seem to be more limited with nowadays) but considering her games counterpart, has a lot to answer for.

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Ash:
Let's release my most powerful Pokemon!

Mallow:
No development cause Lillie hogs it all -.-

Rotom:
Barely does anything anymore

Kiawe:
Rarely gets action

Brock:
Left :(

Cilan:
Goal not even had effort put into it by the writers, it had potential and sounded cool...

Serena:
No Mudkips

DatsRight

Mallow:
No development cause Lillie hogs it all -.-

Lillie hasn't hogged the spotlight in ages. Mallow's had plenty of chances but doesn't do anything with them.

Kiawe:
Rarely gets action

I admit I wanna see more battles out of him, plus another capture. Unlike Mallow he's only had THREE limelight episodes, even if he's a great supporting character a lot of the time.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Misty/kasumi : should get more character development in the Kanto arcs and no togepi had pygon episodes happened different and less her actions about Brock and Ash more about her family past .

Ash/Satoshi : should be wear the gen 1 red outfit in kanto and disband rocket-Gang and get his all gym badges fair and square like his own game counterparts did and no Richie characters and he should get his Charzard obey him by time kanto league arc started and become a new kanto region champion after he beat lance .

Gary/shigur should be walk around the kanto like his rival Ash and battle him lot more then what anime did and should become a new gym leader of the viridian city during the battle frontier arc .

Jessie And James should be more mystery and less humor idiot and is actually act like three beasts from Pokemon special manga frlg arc .

Last edited:

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
Misty: Should have battled more, how are you going to be a water pokemon master if you rarely train your Pokemon? I kind of wish she would shoot for being an elite four member since I’m not really sure what a water Pokemon master is, and plus it would be really cool to see Misty cameo one day as an elite four member. Also, I find it odd that she got more development after she left the main cast versus when she was on it.

Dawn: Not being able to beat Zoey. I mean I loved Dawn’s growth during her run, it was nice to see her humble herself, beat her mini depression, and rise above again but I really really wanted her to beat Zoey.

May: The way she breezed through her contest, admittedly I’m comparing her contest arc to Dawn’s and I feel like Dawn’s was just done better.

raichu27

Ash:

Not winning a single league.
Not coming back for his Pidgeot
His lack of skill in BW and losing to Cameron.
Releasing Lapras, Goodra, and Greninja.

Dawn:

Not beating Zoey once.

Brock:

How he keeps approaching girls the wrong way.

Jessie and James:

Still not coming back for their Arbok and Weezing.
Lack of development in the later episodes.

That's all I can think of, atm.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Yeah i love her (Lillie) in the Pokemon games but i am not huge fan of that overpopulated of her character in the Pokemon stuff !

D

Deleted member 384931

Serena: Seeing her not angry. Misty,Dawn,May,Iris were all angry at one point, but she didnt really.
Her showcases were a bit boring.
Ash: being sooooooooo dense