• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are some game mechanics exclusive to Generation 1 that you miss?

raichu27

The item glitch comes to mind. Moves like Pay Day, Bubblebeam, and Mimic being TMs, too.

I don't miss how focus energy lowered your chance of critical hits except in Pokemon Stadium 1. Ghost having no effect on Psychics or Bug being strong against Poison also come to mind.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
If a Pokemon was trapped in wrap or a similar move, you could recall it & try a different Pokemon. I miss that.

jaden767

Amphetamine
The limited backpack. I liked how what you carried in your backpack actually mattered. You couldn't just hoard everything.
Yeah that made sense at the time. Don't get me wrong it's way more convenient to be able to carry more stuff in the newer games but it's less realistic than it was in Gen 1.

nigmedley

Being able to play it on gameboy-color and then choose a color scheme, since the game was by default in black-and-white colors for gameboy-original. There was a variety of different color schemes that were rather much more appealing than one might have foreseen.

Random Man2

HYPER BEAM!
I miss Psychic-type Pokémon being immune to Ghost-type attacks, as I believe that would solve many problems in National Dex AG and more recent iterations of Ubers and Anything Goes.

iraqmaster

The limited backpack. I liked how what you carried in your backpack actually mattered. You couldn't just hoard everything.
I guess I can see that, but it was kinda annoying how there was no difference between the different items, and everything was just shoved in there.

Also, on this note, I do not miss the Pokemon PC system in Generation 1. I believe the limit was 20 Pokemon per box out of 8 or so, and there was no way of telling how many were in them with you physically counting them yourself at a Pokemon Center. God forbid if you went all the way to a legendary pokemon, and you tried to catch it but could not because the Box was full.