• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are some huge points in the anime that you think completely destroys power scailing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sham

The Guardian of War
And I’m talking about big. For me it’s realizing that Lance was on Leon’s level during the first episodes of the series then gets beaten by Diantha who then gets destroyed by Leon.

Greninja destroying Lucario
Ash-Greninja loosing to Alain in the Kalos League
Pikachu loosing to Panpour
Pikachu loosing to Grapploct (twice)
Mega Lucario beating Togekiss and Garchomp
Lucario beating GMAX Duraludon
Alain’s MCX being one shot by Leonzard
Pikachu beating Cinderace and Leonzard
Dracovish beating Dragonite
Dragonite beating Haxorus
Charizard loosing to Dusclops
Goodra loosing to Bisharp
Buizel loosing to Empoleon

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Honestly, Ash’s entire JN team surviving the PWC with the exception of Peakachu.

Axew doing critical damage on Cynthia’s Garchomp

Kotetsu’s Lucario beating down Pikachu

(Not sure if this really counts but) the sheer audacity of Alan making BOTH Wulfric and his Pokémon flying against the wall without breaking a sweat. When I first saw that scene, I thought it was funny for how ridiculous it looked.

I still can’t believe Pikachu knocked down Onix with an Electric Type move

Brock’s Happiny has a mysterious power scale just as the TRio’s Bewear

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
The Flint episode will never make any sense.

And of course champion Iris losing to a newly caught Dracovish, and inexperienced Dragonite was (imo) some of Journeys at its worst.

Last edited:

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Buizel loosing to Empoleon

shouldn't this be the other way around? If Buizel had beaten Emopoleon I mean?

I know the only reason people didn't want the L was because Ash had just beaten Volkner, thus felt it would be a momentum killer, but none of Buizel's moves could do much to Kenny's Penguin, So I think the right call was made here for Buizel to lose.

Sham

The Guardian of War
It’s the way I made another hit thread.

Also I forgot to mention. The PWC power scailing was all over the place how the heck did Alain one shot Rillaboom with Flame Charge but Diantha’s team got destroyed by Rillaboom who tanked an entire Fire Blast?

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Pretty sure that was a flare blitz,though no idea why SM and JN made the move look more like Flame Wheel

Sham

The Guardian of War
Pretty sure that was a flare blitz,though no idea why SM and JN made the move look more like Flame Wheel
Whatever it was, it pretty much off as extremely grievous especially when Fire Blast is considered the strongest move.

SM started making weird displays of moves when they made Dazzling Gleam a physical move tbh

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Also I forgot to mention. The PWC power scailing was all over the place how the heck did Alain one shot Rillaboom with Flame Charge but Diantha’s team got destroyed by Rillaboom who tanked an entire Fire Blast?

maybe because the latter one came from Goodra, the pseudo the anime doesn't seem to want to treat right no matter who uses it.

really hope Iris didn't get one after all.

Hu Tao

Serebii Lurker for at least half a decade
Could mention Masters 8 Rillaboom jank + Newly Revived Dracovish vs. Iris + All of Best Wishes, been mentioned already here tho. There's not much other ridiculous examples other than JN and BW but theres some that sorta count imo.

Cynthia and Flint being way too overpowered in DP. Sometimes, Pikachu gets a close match against what I assume is an E4's ace (Agatha's Gengar) at the start of the Battle Frontier arc - still a loss, but Pikachu got some hits in and lost to Hypnosis + Dream Eater cheese. Sinnoh on the other hand really makes Cynthia look OP by destroying other Elite 4 members and sweeping Paul in her debut. Flint could 1v3 Ash while he was using both Pika and Infernape, who people agreed were easily minimum top 5 strongest Ash mons prior to JN ruining power scaling, and even he was not as strong as Cynthia. All other E4 members in DP were portrayed fine imo. They shouldn't be much stronger than the stronger Gym Leaders imo, and Ash is allowed to beat those guys so yea. Definitely made it jarring when Ash beat Cynthia recently.

On that topic, Cynthia's Gastrodon casually blocked a x4 super effective Solar Beam from an E4 level Pokemon (Aaron's Beautifly). The same Gastrodon would go on to get 2HKO'ed by Pikachu in the Ash vs. Cynthia battle 20+ years later. Oof.

SM does not have many power scaling issues imo. Here are a few parts tho that are ehh:
-Rowlet vs. Decidueye was laughable. Pre-Evolution beats Evolved form for 200th time except this one just wasn't that good. Hau was poorly handled overall in SM
-Lycanroc was able to 1v3 Nanu and it felt a bit like an asspull imo. Tapu Bulu did give a Berry but still weird when compared to Nanu managing to beat Lycanroc in their first battle in a 1v1. Guess training with Tapu Bulu makes you OP for a battle and then makes you lose to the rival's Lycanroc on the next island anyways.
-Pikachu got destroyed by Hapu's Golurk (to be fair that thing was immune to 3 of Pika's moves, so it's acceptable. Their size difference too)
-Opposite side of the spectrum, Pikachu beats ground type Mudsdale with the good old Sprinkler technique plot device (Also tanks SE Ground-type Z-Move!)
Edit:
-Faba easily defeats Gladion and steals the Silvally Poke Ball back in his villain arc. Then he is stripped of his talent and jobs to Mega Aggron and Meltan.
-Also Kukui's Braviary OHKO'ed by Mega Aggron despite also beating up the OP Lycanroc who 2 episodes prior won a league.

But yeah, these aren't "big" examples for sure. JN and maybe BW (for mostly Pikachu) seem to be the biggest offenders. DP just set the bar that Ash needed to reach way too high so his JN team reaches those heights in an unrealistic and rushed manner.

Last edited:

ZarudeSandstorm

Almost entire Journeys. Iris' Pokemon like Haxorus, Dragonite are champion level. Ash's new Pokemon being on Champion level. Even some legendaries of same species like birds becoming OP level while Charizard beat Articuno in Battle Frontier. Retconning Ash Greninja. Most of Masters tournament like Rillaboom beat 3-4 Diantha's Pokemon and then gets beaten by Dracovish. Alain's Mega Charizard beaten by Base Charizard. Alains Chesnaught beating that same Rillaboom. Friendship power in last battle. Ash's Dragonite beating Iris's Champion ace but losing to Spiritomb etc etc.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Krabby destroying round 1 in the Indigo League
Muk destroying bellsprout (well atleast that made more sense considering its body characteristic was used)
What's funny is that JN mons were still atleast somewhat trained, these mons along with Tauros in the OL turn up for the first time and dominate lmao

Battle frontiers being implied to be E4 level

Flint episode in DP

Everything about BW related to Ash, whether it be snivy (which I'd say is less egregious than the others one since it atleast had a reason), Panpour, Elesa and Cameron

Sawyers insane strength in short amount of time, Lysandre being too OP

Bewear (best case of destroying powerscaling :p), Poipole evolving offscreen

Iris battle, the entirety of it. Leon vs Diantha, Leon was too OP in that, barely seeing the JN team appear and train, Zapdos and Suicune's treatment.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Lol @ the Flint episode comments using a character from a different region to gauge his strength.

Anyway, agree with pretty much all of Journeys
Leon grinded for a Careful nature Rillaboom with max special defense EVs
He had an Assault Vest under all that fur too.

Sham

The Guardian of War
The Iris battle will never sit right in my spirit because they practically used her as fodder to start a nasty trend of Ash defeating Champion in weird a** way

It’s not really who but about what. That caused a chain reaction to the point that they believed Ash should never lose by defeating a Champion and here we are now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.