1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

What are some movie/tv show references made in Pokemon Adventures?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Manga Discussion' started by BenLee really not taken, Jan 29, 2019.

1. BenLee really not taken

BenLee really not taken Well-Known Member

So I thought of this while seeing some of Yamamoto’s tweets. Where, few examples I know is that ch 21 features Safari Zone’s logo like a Jurassic Park, and also how the trio of Sinnoh is based on “Saiyuki.” Another I heard was that the brainwashed people from Vaniville Towns are based on a certain tv show called “Criminal Minds.”

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 2:43 PM
  2. shoz999

shoz999 No! That's impossible!

So one of the things I liked about the ORAS chapter is Emerald's new design. Unlike his more wacky shonen-style design, this one has a more simple Pokemon-esque look to it but there's actually more to it than meets the eye. I can't remember where I read it but according to an interview, the inspiration for Emerald's new design in ORAS came from an action-movie character that one of them saw and like Emerald, that action-movie character wears an bandolier belt around his torso. This makes a lot of sense because Kusaka and Yamamoto are big movie fans.

Speaking of being big movie fans, there's actually another chapter that is influenced by movies. The Ruby and Sapphire chapter is known by most Pokemon Adventure fans as the darkest story arc in the series and one of the main reasons why is how the reader can feel the sheer unstoppable terror of Groudon and Kyogre, the two creating earthquakes and tsunami's that ravage all over Hoenn and the manga actually show what's happening all over Hoenn, location by location, to just show how terrifying Groudon and Kyogre can be. Much of the terror here were inspired by disaster movies.

3. horrahforyou

horrahforyou Pokemon and Kamen Rider is life

In the RGB chapter.
    When Misty asks Red about his Pikachu. "Is that a Pikachu?"
    Then Red replied "ain't Mickey Mouse."

4. BenLee really not taken

In the Japanese version, do you know if they say the same thing?

5. shoz999

According to Satoshi Yamamoto, Moon is inspired by Park Nam-joo, an archer who appears in the korean horror movie, The Host. It's a pretty good movie but the CGI is pretty outdated.

6. lolipiece

lolipiece No Pokemon, only Sakka Staff Member Moderator

All he says is "correct" in the original version.

Any reference to something in spoken dialogue (especially the first edition versions) is typically something VIZ added and was never in the original version.

7. Prof. SALTY

Prof. SALTY The Scruffy Professor

I love The Host. One of my favourites.

shoz999 likes this.
  8. horrahforyou

horrahforyou Pokemon and Kamen Rider is life

And addition to that.
    Both Pikachu and Mickey were both mice and a mascot for a million dollar company.

shoz999 likes this.
  9. shoz999

That's one of my favorite monster movies and one of my favorite Korean movies. Even though the CGI is outdated, I still think the story is a masterpiece that transcends the horror genre that's plagued with too many tropes.

10. Prof. SALTY

I wouldn't say its outdated. Asian CGI has a different standard, they don't really care about realism.

11. shoz999

Actually at the time the CGI was top-notch. Now it's just as outdated as the original Spiderman. I re-watched Spiderman and that film... wow. That film did not age well.

12. Prof. SALTY

Pfft it definitely wasn't. Western reviews at the time were very negative towards the CG

13. Macromind101

Macromind101 Well-Known Member

Okay I know that this didn't come first but the hive mind mechanics of Galactic grunts is sorta reminiscent of how the clones operated post-Order 66 in Star Wars

14. BenLee really not taken

Is that reference intentional, or is it coincidental?

15. Gamzee Makara

Gamzee Makara Let people enjoy things...

More like the Cybermen or Borg IMO. Those would fit the time and space themes of Team Galactic(And Sinnoh) better.

The clone captains and commanders were made with genetically inbred loyalty to Palpatine/Sidious. Rex was only an exception because he was treated differently by Ahsoka.

16. Macromind101

Macromind101 Well-Known Member

No, Rex was different because he had his mind control chip removed prior to Order 66. And it was all clones, not just the officers.

17. Gamzee Makara

Gamzee Makara Let people enjoy things...

Still feels like the Borg or Cybermen.

Clones:Hive mind or mind control...there IS a difference, you know?

18. BenLee really not taken

I heard Moon is inspired, by her looking somewhat more Asian, has a bow and medicines, which are what the actor does in ‘The Host’
    Edit: And yes, Yamamoto and Kusaka seems to really like (old) live action movies of tv shows

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019 at 5:14 AM
  19. Redstar45

Redstar45 The Fire type master !

It is because the Pokemon is created by asian countries more specific Japan you know? And the fact is that Japanese tand to try make their characters more stand by have more hair dye with more rainbow color and different eyes color outside brown and black color......to make a character look pop to their readers and viewers alike.

20. shoz999

Honestly I think he just likes movies and he just happened upon an interesting female lead from The Host.