• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are some nitpicks/complaints about the series that you don't take so seriously?

Sham

The Guardian of War
YES. I was just thinking about that filler when BW fillers were being discussed. The fact that Litwick was literally killing all of them was crazy.

Observer

Mostly watching
YES. I was just thinking about that filler when BW fillers were being discussed. The fact that Litwick was literally killing all of them was crazy.

When Dr. Zager and the Pokedex tried to explain the data on Litwicks the would suddenly cut them off before they could reveal the whole stealing your life energy and leading you into the spirit world information.

RafaSceptile

"Scare at The Litwit Mansion" is one of my favorites, because the Pokemon were actually evil and not only did they try to kill Ash, Iris, Cilian, and Team Rocket but tried to drag them down into what was basically Pokemon Hell.

This was the closest Pokemon has ever gotten to a Steven King movie adaptation, in this case The Shinning.
Yeah, it also has some references to the movie, like when Jessie sticks her head in the door

DatsRight

I don't mind filler so long as it's not just an excuse to go back to really bland and formulaic storytelling, which in fairness sometimes happens even in arc based episodes. DP and XY reverted to disjointed and predictable COTD/TR plotlines a lot, with the evident issue that they had gotten stale by then and were an excuse to back out of telling a full story (eg. Goodra's finale shoehorning TR to be inexplicably involved with everything simply because they didn't know how to end the 'Pokemon turf war' premise in a satisfying way). Plus loads of episodes which are otherwise bland and episodic but have a Pokemon get a plot armour boost at the end, which I wouldn't say suddenly turns them into a gripping continuity point.

BW and SM could have done better in terms of arc and character development, but I think the fact they had lots of episodic stories wasn't the main issue, especially since they at least often bothered to try make the characters shine in them for once. DA in particular was a return to status quo, but was at least trying to bring back what made it fun, with loads of enjoyably silly plotlines (plus still taking advantage of the fact the formula could be broken more now). Plus it meant TR got some sort of 'last hurrah' in that series for a change, being comical but semi competent and maintaining some funny back and forths with the protagonists, instead of feeling like just an annoying third wheel to the bigger picture.

Another one I don't mind too much; capturing mythical/legendary tier Pokemon. So long as it's not done in a cheap or asspulling way, I don't mind 'special' tier Pokemon getting humanized and bonding with a trainer. Sure Meltan and Shaymin could have done better but they were harmless and their bonds were cute, and they at least played the idea of Suicune being 'caught' gingerly.

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Ash losing Kalos and winning Alola

Some more:
Torterra’s treatment in DP
SM in general
Ash in SM
People that say that Amourshipping is one sided
Journeys rushing stuff
Kalos League being rushed
Goodra being released in the middle of the series
Serena not meeting any past companions nor getting a special
Secrets of the Jungle not being on Netflix yet
I think you may have misread this thread :p

Many things, but here are some:
-Ash does not mention that he won the Alola League in Journeys : Seriously, what is important about this tournament? It does not give a place to champions league, it does not give a place to MasterClass or something like that, it is just another tournament, only with something of emotional value Because it was the first League of a region ... no need to mention it, I mean, Ash never talks about the Orange League anyway.

-The lack of "chemistry" between certain characters : I know sometimes it's important but is it really so necessary? In The Case of the Serena-Clemont relationship, the guy could not offer anything important to Serena's development, the Showcases were not his especiality. He didn't have much compatibility with her other than that they are blond, so I don't find it alarming that the two of them are not very close.

-Goh Catching three starters : I have no problem with this, Ash doesn't need starters anymore, he has too many in the lab. My only problem is that PERSONALLY WITHOUT WANTING TO START AN ARGUMENT ... eh...I-I think Goh stole Grookey. But HEY, I like Goh, so no drama pls

-Misty : She used to get a lot of criticism before Serena ... But hey, leave my rude girl alone

RafaSceptile

Many things, but here are some:
-Ash does not mention that he won the Alola League in Journeys : Seriously, what is important about this tournament? It does not give a place to champions league, it does not give a place to MasterClass or something like that, it is just another tournament, only with something of emotional value Because it was the first League of a region ... no need to mention it, I mean, Ash never talks about the Orange League anyway.

-The lack of "chemistry" between certain characters : I know sometimes it's important but is it really so necessary? In The Case of the Serena-Clemont relationship, the guy could not offer anything important to Serena's development, the Showcases were not his especiality. He didn't have much compatibility with her other than that they are blond, so I don't find it alarming that the two of them are not very close.

-Goh Catching three starters : I have no problem with this, Ash doesn't need starters anymore, he has too many in the lab. My only problem is that PERSONALLY WITHOUT WANTING TO START AN ARGUMENT ... eh...I-I think Goh stole Grookey. But HEY, I like Goh, so no drama pls

-Misty : She used to get a lot of criticism before Serena ... But hey, leave my rude girl alone
I agree that your first and third comments, but I think the chemistry between characters is something important because it helps to feel the characters like actual humans and not only as if like they exist exclusively for the plot.

Blastmaster

I also didn't even realize the Buizel/Aipom trade got hate until I used this forum. And even then I don't even think I've ever seen anyone post an actual reason they hate it so much lol. Like I'd get it if you think Ambipom's release ruins the impact, but that... doesn't ever seem to be the case, I've legitimately never seen anyone give any reason at all. The closest I can figure is that they didn't want Aipom to leave Ash, but Aipom was foreshadowed to love Contests since AG so idk why anyone acts like it wasn't coming.

Don't really mind Goh that much or at least I don't really mind the supposed complaints of how he has been catching a lot of Pokemon that should supposedly be Ash's since those complaints really just feel hollow. He has significant character problems, but those don't seem to be what is causing people to get annoyed unfortunately.

Last edited:

Sham

The Guardian of War
Oh Dawn beating May. It actually made sense. Dawn was known to focus more on the theatrics of Contests while May focused on the battling part. Considering Dawn beat May before the time ran out it simply meant her moves were judged better than May than actually KO'ing her Pokemon. Additionally Glaceon was the last edition to May's team but Piplup was Dawn's ace.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I also didn't even realize the Buizel/Aipom trade got hate until I used this forum. And even then I don't even think I've ever seen anyone post an actual reason they hate it so much lol. Like I'd get it if you think Ambipom's release ruins the impact, but that... doesn't ever seem to be the case, I've legitimately never seen anyone give any reason at all. The closest I can figure is that they didn't want Aipom to leave Ash, but Aipom was foreshadowed to love Contests since AG so idk why anyone acts like it wasn't coming.
I think the consensus was [during the DP saga at least] that Satoshi cared too much about his Pokemon, so it might've seemed out of character for him to trade Eipam away. I remember the Butterfree trade situation being cited as evidence that Satoshi had already learned his lesson about trading.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I think the consensus was [during the DP saga at least] that Satoshi cared too much about his Pokemon, so it might've seemed out of character for him to trade Eipam away. I remember the Butterfree trade situation being cited as evidence that Satoshi had already learned his lesson about trading.
Wouldn't the ultimate display of him caring for Aipom is letting her go do what she really loves? I think forcing her to participate in Gym battles knowing she doesn't have any interest anymore is way worse.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Wouldn't the ultimate display of him caring for Aipom is letting her go do what she really loves? I think forcing her to participate in Gym battles knowing she doesn't have any interest anymore is way worse.
It could be interpreted that way, but I should clarify that I was simply playing Devil's advocate and explaining what I remember being the de facto argument that was used against the trade during DP: I wasn't stating my own opinion about the situation.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
But this was about the Pokemon's wants though, not the trainer's like in Butterfree case. Him being selfish like that would be OOC
The trade is a nice thing imo and unique, i like it
Ambipom's release on the other hand....

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
These days? Almost all of them; I find that 90% of the fandom’s beefs with the show (especially currently) are either negligible or just plain false and that I enjoy it a lot more when I don’t pay attention to their “critiques.”

If I had to choose a specific example—and one that I’m pretty sure no one has mentioned until now, given how obscure it is compared to other stuff—it’d be Ash fighting Roxie instead of Drayden in Best Wishes and how it was a 6v3. Yeah, it was slightly disappointing that Ash never got to battle Drayden, and the fact that Roxie was so strong was obviously to promote BW2...but honestly, I just can’t care. It was one of the most adrenaline-pumping, most unique, and most downright entertaining battles in the anime’s history, and that’s quite enough to satisfy me. Sometimes, I just think people need to kick back and have some fun.