• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are some nitpicks/complaints about the series that you don't take so seriously?

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
For me it's:

Iris' catchphrase
Dawn releasing Ambipom (just the way how it happened)
Ash never winning a league prior to SM
May not returning in XY
Ash using a Pokedex on Pokemon he's already seen
Trip losing in the first round of the Unova league
Cameron defeating Ash (I get this one but I'm mostly indifferent since I don't invest in Ash winning a league)
People necessarily not being "nice" to Ash so basically his interactions with Iris and Chloe

that's about it I guess

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
• People not being nice to Ash (though I understand if it’s about them not respecting him; he’s been through so much that you have to give it to him. Iris, though she bickered with him, had a clear level of respect for his skill.)
• SM battles. I don’t know why but people rag on SM’s battles a lot despite them employing about the same level of “asspulls” as any other series. Some battles were unsatisfying and bad, but others like the Nanu and Kukui ones were really interesting to me.
• Virgil. He was a random and kind of odd character to introduce, but I liked him and his gimmick. In a series full of throwaway rivals, I found him pretty fun.
• Dawn beating May. From what I remember, the score was pretty close in the end, so it’s not like Dawn won by a huge margin. Narratively it served as a good comeback for her and as a way to showcase how May had grown since BF.
• Basically anything anyone has to say about Iris. There are some problems with how she was handled, but I don’t take complaints about her seriously because 99% of the time they’re asinine and petty.

Ash losing Kalos and winning Alola

Some more:
Torterra’s treatment in DP
SM in general
Ash in SM
People that say that Amourshipping is one sided
Journeys rushing stuff
Kalos League being rushed
Goodra being released in the middle of the series
Serena not meeting any past companions nor getting a special
Secrets of the Jungle not being on Netflix yet

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
When people try to argue how the Alola League "isn't a real league." You may dispute how prestigious or how easy it was, but you are not the arbiter of legitimacy. I can't believe fandoms have evolved into where disliking something cannot be enough. You need to pull a John C Calhoun and nullify it. Yeah, you can refuse to acknowledge the existence of the sun, yet the plants will still photosynthesize and sunburns will still happen.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
  • How serious/laid back Ash was in XY/SM. I never minded his portrayal in XY as although I’m not someone who needs Ash to be serious but I like that he seems like a veteran who has people look up to him. On the other hand, I also like how he was a foreigner who learned to appreciate Alola’s culture at his own leisure in SM.
  • The whole “XY vs SM” debate that has persisted through pretty much all of Gen 7 is arguably the most annoying thing I’ve experienced in the fandom. It’s ok to have preferences, people. Just stop generalizing anyone who has issue with them as being toxic stans.
  • DP Brock . IMO DP was the best portrayal of Brock. I only liked him for his humor in OS & AG but DP made him feel like more than just the designated comedic relief, chef, and exposition machine. His eventual reveal of wanting to be a Pokémon Doctor felt like a natural growth seeing all of his moments of focus like with helping Ash & Dawn with caring for the Pokémon when he’s not around and Happiny‘s entire “arc”.
  • Thunder Armor. I just found it to be a unique variation of Guts for Swellow considering it was established to have high endurance. Ash has done much worse in terms of out there strategies but for some reason this is the one that gets people the most?
  • BW. I know saying it’s underrated isn’t as unpopular as it was when it was the current series but I still enjoyed it back then. Yes it was full of moments that make you wonder wtf the writers were on but I overall enjoyed it when looking at it in a vacuum.
  • Arguing over what’s filler or the legitimacy of the Alola League. If you know that it’s legitimate and the writers treat it as such, why do you argue with people who will never accept it as such? You’re wasting your time. I also just don’t understand why people are so passionate about it that it’s still a heated topic 2 years later.
  • Serena: She wasn’t that bad yall lmao

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
  • Just stop generating

Society is doomed.

• Thunder Armor. I just found it to be a unique variation of Guts for Swellow considering it was established to have high endurance. Ash has done much worse in terms of out there strategies but for some reason this is the one that gets people the most?

I still haven't watched that one but it doesn't sound that bad. Though I like the appeal of the memes lol

• BW. I know saying it’s underrated isn’t as unpopular as it was when it was the current series but I still enjoyed it back then. Yes it was full of moments that make you wonder wtf the writers were on but I overall enjoyed it when looking at it in a vacuum.

This. So much.

I had no issues with Ash's portrayal there. The only bits I really didn't like were the second Trip battle (the 5x5 one) and how they handled the loss against Cameron. But other than that, it was a great rid overall.

I even like Decorola Islands arc. In many ways, it's pratically a proto-SM.

• Serena: She wasn’t that bad yall lmao

She was great. One of my favorites.

EmberFireTrainer

An anomaly
I really enjoy watching any of the filler episodes. Even the so called insignificant pointless ones. I think it's because you never know what they're going to be about. It could be about Ash and friends helping a character of the day and their Pokémon, a TR filler episode, or even the more lighthearted, more humorous ones like the upcoming Pikachu gets arrested episode ha ha.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Society is doomed.

I still haven't watched that one but it doesn't sound that bad. Though I like the appeal of the memes lol

This. So much.

I had no issues with Ash's portrayal there. The only bits I really didn't like were the second Trip battle (the 5x5 one) and how they handled the loss against Cameron. But other than that, it was a great rid overall.

I even like Decorola Islands arc. In many ways, it's pratically a proto-SM.

She was great. One of my favorites.
Thanks for pointing out that silly typo lol. Great taste as always :cool:

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
Win-rates and power levels.

I think people too much weight in the results of battles. I don’t really care if a pokemon wins a lot or not, as long as they’re interesting. Like i’d take ash’s torkoal or noivern over snorlax.

Same with the trainers, their placing or wins don’t matter much to me. But how they got there does.

RafaSceptile

OS: OI being a "filler" arc when it was an important step for Ash transition between Kanto and Johto
AG: May contests were not that bad as some people said they were
DP: Paul never being punished for his actions
BW: Almost every complain about Iris's personality
XY: The apparently lack of ORAS promotion and continuity
SM: Almost every complain about how the anime adapted Lillie and Lusamine's story during the Aether Foundation arc, or Guzma in the Alola League
JN: "Goh is a psychopath, bully, hypocrite, etc.". The only one that I agree is Goh being in Gary Stu territory.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Ooh boy let's go
1) The TR viridian battle. I don't consider it a legit win but it was still fun and people seem to overhate on it
2) OI being a "filler" arc or the orange league not counting
3) Misty's character being too violent
4) Ash losing against Harrison (the only ash loss ever I found justified and good written)
5) Paul not being punished more (although I get what people mean by that)
6) No BF for sinnoh (would have been repetitive)
7) BW fillers (they are freaking amazing)
8) Ash Vs Giovanni in BW
9) Decolore Islands
10) Ash jumping off Prism Tower
11) Clemont not doing anything after gym battle
12) Bonnie not being a good character by some for some reason
13) Ash Vs Valerie
14) SM in general lol, in specific
- Lusamine not being her game version
- Lillie's storyline
- Matori Matrix
- Ultra guardians
- Alola not being a "real" league
- Alola having no entry requirements (the silliest thing tbh, it didn't matter)
-Mallow not being a good companion coz she didn't get more episodes
- The mallow mother or litten episode being over dramatised or as some called it, bait lmao
- Rowlet as a Mon
- Ula ula arc having Ash as OOC
- soak strategy making no sense
15) Lucario "screenhogging" screentime by getting development enough for it to evolve
16) Goh not caring for his mons
17) Journeys episodes being "copy pasted"
18) Journeys fillers not being fun
19) Any criticism of the magikarp slowking EP :p
20) Chloe or the alolan poke girls slander

How people treat the concept of filler too. It's integral to the series judgement, inherent part of Pokémon and fun alot of times

I don't understand why people use Greninja leaving as criticism against XY. It made the departure have more weight than just being left to rot at the lab, and tied in with the Flare arc's plot. It's not like Ash even visits the lab enough to see it if it was there.

I just didn't like how the release was written. Felt lame and a dumb explanation of the vibe thing and that ash greninja can sense them

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Oh yeah I guess it's now or never but I don't care about Paul not receiving punishment for his actions. Yeah realistically it would of been correct I suppose but like what would of been the outcome? They arrest him? Ban him from a trainer? Him being reprimanded would of been logical but it's not a hill to die on.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
7) BW fillers (they are freaking amazing)
I agree, BW fillers were so much fun and one of them is even one of my favorite episodes in the series period (Beauties Battling for Pride and Prestige). There were other good ones like the Purrloin episode and the episode where Ash and Iris reconcile in DA; honestly a lot of the Decolore fillers were really enjoyable.

Observer

Mostly watching
I agree, BW fillers were so much fun and one of them is even one of my favorite episodes in the series period (Beauties Battling for Pride and Prestige). There were other good ones like the Purrloin episode and the episode where Ash and Iris reconcile in DA; honestly a lot of the Decolore fillers were really enjoyable.

"Scare at The Litwit Mansion" is one of my favorites, because the Pokemon were actually evil and not only did they try to kill Ash, Iris, Cilian, and Team Rocket but tried to drag them down into what was basically Pokemon Hell.

This was the closest Pokemon has ever gotten to a Steven King movie adaptation, in this case The Shinning.