• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are some obscure/unique strategies you've used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bauer6644

This is "unique" for me because I've never seen anybody do it in about 400 battles;

In Triples I use a Typhlosion who is Choice Scarf'd up and I only use Heat Wave. People assume he's going to Erupt, so they often scramble to use weaker priority moves on him or less-than-effective moves to lower his health. Often, they get him into the Blaze range (1.5x) and with Drought (and Helping Hand if it's available) it can kill all three opponents usually.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Ehhehheh, I've got a list.

The first time I ever did something unique (and pretty stupid, but hey, it worked) was when I had the crazy idea to slap a Scarf on a Swampert. I know. Kinda silly. But the thing is, nobody ever expects a Swampert to be that fast (Scarfed Jolly Swampert speed ties with Hidden Power (Ice) Azelf and Starmie), so it got tons of surprise kills on things like Breloom and Celebi. Swampert generally doesn't have any business with a Scarf, so literally nobody ever expects it.

The next time, far less successful, was my infamous Calm Mind Dusknoir. Well, not really infamous, nobody's ever really heard of it. Anyways, that was a terrible idea that went nowhere.

So after that I tried Choice Specs Gyarados, which was funny, but also pretty terrible. A while after that the 5th gen rolled around and I ran out of terrible ideas. I've tried a few things since then, including using things like Alomomola and Fraxure in OU, making a Castform Baton Pass team (success!), and laddering in Ubers with a NU team. But now I'm seriously out of bad ideas. Someone needs to unban BH so I can get some more.

I've tried scarf cloyster and breloom. They are so terrible. I've realized there's a reason why nobody uses it much. It's just so bad. I'm never going to use those things again.

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
I've tried to use some, but they failed due to poor defenses, or holes I did not forsee.

Sneaky Bradley

Not such an obscure tactic but I have tended to run sub on thing that don't often have it. In NU choiced Sawk tends to run riot and forces switches everywhere so by putting in sub you can easily force a switch and get a free sub up to protect you from harm and sweep through a team. I have also done this in my favoured RU with Durant that often runs life orb with hone claws but again a free sub is easily obtained to avoid things like a status or other nasty things like leech seed.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
I've got quite a few mostly to blend with my mono-team project.
Smeargle
Focus Sash
Timid nature
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Baton Pass
- Ingrain
- Shift Gear
- Spore

Regigigas
Leftovers
Adamant nature
252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Return
- Substitute

Pretty simple, get Smeargle to boost, Ingrain, then pass to the golem. The boosts now partially negates Regigigas' stat drops from its ability. Substitute is used to stall out the foe and prevent status conditions until Slow Start wears off and EVs given are to aid with that while Adamant nature is to add to the power that is needed. Return is the obvious choice of STAB while Drain Punch is there for coverage while providing (though not reliable) much needed recovery. Since Chandelure, Froslass, and Jellicent are in higher tiers, Ice Punch is used to hit Ghost types.

Smeargle is a standard set except Magic Coat is replaced with Ingrain which adds to the much needed required recovery. That said, although Ingrain prevents from being switched out, it does cause problems when Regigigas is affected by a stat drop, staus move, and/or status condition. It's really tricky pulling this off too, as you have to rely on the foe not using Taunt, Smeargle being faster than the foe(s), the sky being free of damaging weather, the foe lacking multiple hit moves, your side being free of entry hazards, and that if the foe stays in that they are asleep for more than a turn. When it works though…
Snorlax
Chesto Berry / Leftovers
Careful nature
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
- Belly Drum
- Last Resort
- Rest
- Stockpile

5 requirements needed from the foe: no Critical Hits, no moes that force you to switch, no Ghost-types, no offence boosting moves, and no Taunt. If Snorlax can handle the hits and successfully set up Belly Drum, Last Resorts hurts a lot and the opponent can barely hurt you. A Chesto Berry or Leftovers depends on your preference but the earlier usually work better.
Aside from that, "' ' for ubers!" videos are always silly, never true but entertaining. A team of Spinda all only using Assist working off of a Smeargle with Superpower, V-create, Draco Meteor, and another attack that lowers the user's stats will be sure to put a happy grin on your face.

I hope this thread grows, I really like this discussion but I honestly doubt it will go far.

Blue Cobra

Bug Trainer
Max S.Def Scrafty with Substitute and Bulk Up. He has swept a lot of pokes, since he is so hard to get through. And his Shed Skin ability makes him an even greater beast, since it can absorb Toxic, Thunder Wave, Will-O-Wisp and such things. Truly a great Pokemon :)

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
Well, I used an Eviolite Porygon2 with Icy Wind and Magic Coat in Doubles. It works pretty darn well, but I need to get better at using Magic Coat.

tsundere (Infernape) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Close Combat
- Overheat
- Work Up
- Stone Edge

Basically I hated being forced out by Pokemon such as Landorus and Gliscor when running Overheat instead of HP Ice others so instead of SD I decided on Work Up since those two and others cant take a +1 Overheat. I mean yeah sure I could have just run Nasty Plot Ape and have HP Ice AND Overheat but this way special walls do not become a problem. This variant always does pretty well when I run it. Besides why devote to physical or special when you can have both?

Darkazure

Gentle Giant
Some set I run was having my mienshao with a mild nature and with
Ability:Inner Focus or Regenerator
-high jump kick
-Aura Sphere
-U-turn
-Accrobatics/Fake out
Item:Flying gem or fighting gem
You see it always pissed me off how Mienshao is the ONLY unovian Pokemon that knows Aura Sphere and no one even thinks to use it. Mienshao has decent Sp.ATK but this uses a somewhat mixed set but dosn't sacrifice all his power and speed. I have won so many matches because it comes down to me and Mienshao aganist a Pokemon with high physcial def but he can just crush them especially since he has all around god attack stats.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
The weirdest thing I've done is a crobat or Aerodactyl with a Power Herb and Sky attack.

When Chansey was UU for a while I used Choice Band Porygon Z. With adaptability it hits about as hard as Banded Heracross Close Combat. So my opponent would send in Chansey, get hit for like 60%, send in Gligar or Slowbro, and get 2HKOed with rocks. It just walked over stall teams because no one expected it, and even when they did it hit like a bomb.

CB Return vs...

252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 350-414 (49.71 - 58.8%)
4 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Chansey: 382-450 (59.5 - 70.09%)
252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 124-146 (37.12 - 43.71%)
252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 180-212 (45.68 - 53.8%)
252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 174-206 (43.06 - 50.99%)
252 HP / 224+ Def Mew: 194-230 (48.01 - 56.93%)
252 HP / 252+ Def Blastoise: 192-226 (53.03 - 62.43%)

Of course Porygon Z is faster than these Pokemon and doesn't take much damage from them. It can also slap Dark Pulse and Ice Beam on as well since those moves beat ghosts / OHKOs Gligar.

Shinjick

semi pro trainer
ok I'm not sure how many have tried this but Life orb imposter Ditto with tailwind support all you need is a pokemon who's gonna die right off the bat who has tailwind and is gonna be able to let it loose before it kills over once its dead and tailwind is up pull out ditto you'll be faster then the enemy you'll have extra damage and access to all the moves letting you sweep better if you use this tactic on the right pokemon its proven to be fairly deadly as far as my testing has gone

_Sylveon_

Indigo Champion
This gimmick workd VERY well:
Dragonite @ Leftovers
Hasty/Naive Nature, Multiscale
252 HP, 236 Speed, 20 Sp/Defense
- Dragon Tail
- Hurricane
- ExtremeSpeed
- Thunder/Thunder Wave

Yes it works. After dat paralyze, youve got a good chance to confuse. Then they almost never attack and I rack up damage woth Dragon Tail and ebrry hazards. This set works great in rain especially.

samrules4

edit: viewing the contents of this post have been proven to cause great anger and has been edited for the safety of your heath. sorry about that

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I always use an azumarill set that is completely unique

some people think azumarill is only good with a choice band, yet i beg to differ:

Azumarill @ quick claw
-Waterfall
-Aqua jet
-Ice punch
-Brick break

a lot of the time people switch expecting the choice band when I surprise them with a different attack

I'm sure this set helps me far more than a choice band set ever could

There are so many reasons why using a Quick Claw is simply wrong. For one, it's a terrible idea in the first place. A 20% chance to move first means you will lose 80% of the time, and even more if he doesn't get the Claw to activate at just the right moment. Which brings me to the second point. If, by some miracle, you DO get the Claw to activate AND actually make a difference, your opponent will be enraged, and for a very good reason, that you would use some ******** cheap tactic like this. In my honest opinion, Quick Claw should fall under hax items and anyone who uses it should be branded a demonic troll, caged in a sewer, and slowly eaten by rats.

noimnotmadbro

This gimmick workd VERY well:
Dragonite @ Leftovers
Hasty/Naive Nature, Multiscale
252 HP, 236 Speed, 20 Sp/Defense
- Dragon Tail
- Hurricane
- ExtremeSpeed
- Thunder/Thunder Wave

Yes it works. After dat paralyze, youve got a good chance to confuse. Then they almost never attack and I rack up damage woth Dragon Tail and ebrry hazards. This set works great in rain especially.

Funny, it just looks like standard parashuffler Dnite to me.

I always use an azumarill set that is completely unique

some people think azumarill is only good with a choice band, yet i beg to differ:

Azumarill @ quick claw
-Waterfall
-Aqua jet
-Ice punch
-Brick break

a lot of the time people switch expecting the choice band when I surprise them with a different attack

I'm sure this set helps me far more than a choice band set ever could

Isnt this basically the Life Orb set but without the benifit of Life Orb and Sperpower ._. And dont you think Quick Claw is a little impractical._.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Isnt this basically the Life Orb set but without the benifit of Life Orb and Sperpower ._. And dont you think Quick Claw is a little impractical._.

That's true. It's not completely unique at all, it's just a weaker, more impractical version of the Life Orb / Band set...

samrules4

I don't know what i expected....

If my pokemon are so bad then I should be losing battles left and right. HOW THE HECK AM I WINNING BATTLES IF EVERY POKEMON I POST ON THIS WEBSITE IS SO GOD DAMN WEAK?

Status
Not open for further replies.