• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are some other video game titles that are chronologically confusing?

Antiyonder

Overlord
Yeah, the thread is based off The Angry Video Game Nerd's video.

Note- Just to be clear, I don't lose any sleep over video game franchises not having a consistent titling system. This is merely for discussion, and fun even :D .

Mine:
1. The name Dragon Quest in the US was already used on another game, so the US translated games were called Dragon Warrior in which we had:

- Dragon Warrior (1989)
- Dragon Warrior 2 (1990)
- Dragon Warrior 3 (1991)
- Dragon Warrior 4 (1992)
- Dragon Warrior 7 (2001)
- Dragon Quest 8 (2005)
- Dragon Quest 9 (2010)

So, not only did the title change around the 8th installment, we have two sequels that are missing? Heck, I heard somewhere that Dragon Quest 6 was originally going to be translated to the SNES as Dragon Warrior 5. That wouldn't disrupt the flow of the series at all. :rolleyes:

Now let's look at the handheld remakes to see how well they did:

- Dragon Warrior 1&2 (2000)
- Dragon Warrior 3 (2001)
- Dragon Quest 4 (2008)
- Dragon Quest 5 (2009)
- Dragon Quest 6 (2011)

While we don't have any missing sequels, it would certainly be nice if they could just stick to one title (yeah right).

2. To cash in on the success of Rockman, Nintendo of Japan decided to do have some games made for the Game Boy. The series would be titled Rockman World and went on for five games. The US titling goes like this:

- Mega Man In Dr. Wily's Revenge (1991)
- Mega Man 2 (1992)
- Mega Man 3 (1992)
- Mega Man 4 (1993)
- Mega Man 5 (1994)

First one is okay since it is distinguishable from the NES title, but here's a description difference between the JP and the US version:

Japanese Player on Rockman World 3: You face four robot masters from Rockman 3 and 4 for the most part.

American Player on Mega Man 3 for the Game Boy: You face four robot masters from Mega Man 3 from the NES and Mega Man 4 from the NES for the most part.

See how simple the description would have been if they went with Mega Man World?

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Final Fantasy is the first that jumps to my mind. For North America we got:

Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II (which was IV in Japan)
Final Fantasy III (which was VI in Japan)
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII, IX, X... etc

Since II, III, and V were initially skipped for North America it seemed a little strange that VII came after III.

Halo 3: ODST taking place DURING the events of Halo 2 was pretty odd I guess. There's also Metal Gear Solid 3 taking place before all the other Metal Gear games.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
Single games? Sonic '06

Francises?
Sonic
Mario
Pokemon 2nd and 4th Gen-Fifth Gen.

Chris

Old Coot
Dragon Quest is worse in Europe. Their first DQ game was VIII. They're removed the numbers as they released them.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
Oh yeah, that really ticks me off when they don't even bother coming up with a new name and just use the old one. Like Alone In The Dark and Wolfenstein or DmC.

I was thinking like the story, or the way the story for the series worked. Obviously, I was wrong.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
I was thinking like the story, or the way the story for the series worked. Obviously, I was wrong.

Whoa there buddy, when did I say you were wrong? I was making a comment about how Sonic '06 had a dumb name and how other games do something similar, that's it.

TehLulzMastur

Well, the Pokemon games, but it doesn't matter when the games take place for them. And no, don't say that Generation II and IV take place at the same time, because Jasmine can't be at two places at once.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
Whoa there buddy, when did I say you were wrong? I was making a comment about how Sonic '06 had a dumb name and how other games do something similar, that's it.

Nowhere, but I'm really used to Fhq and the like crushing my opinions here.

dragonite8

Comeback Kip
idk what that big word meens, but i think most of the FF games are (big word) confusing

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Nowhere, but I'm really used to Fhq and the like crushing my opinions here.

Maybe come back when you're NOT eight?

True to form fhq, true to form.

idk what that big word meens, but i think most of the FF games are (big word) confusing

Chronologically is this discussion basically means the order of when each game in the series happens or what year each game came out. Think of it as a timeline and where each game would fit on it.

Dattebayo

Banned
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Donkey Kong 3

Where the heck is Donkey Kong 2? (guess where I got this complaint from)

Inchtall

Back in Black....2
Kingdom Hearts.... The first, then a remake, then the second, a remake, then an in depth story on what happened between one and two, then the third, then a remake. ENOUGH WITH THE FREAKEN' REMAKES!

legendarypokemonmaster

The Legend of Zelda.

darkcharizard58

A B-rate 'reviewer' whose criticisms you take as fact, even though more often than not, no one gives a flying **** about anything they have to say?

From the two statements from you ive seen on this thread you come across as a huge douche that cant seem to remove the stick that has been lodged in his ***

Dattebayo

Banned
A B-rate 'reviewer' whose criticisms you take as fact, even though more often than not, no one gives a flying **** about anything they have to say?

Oh no, I only enjoy his lack of research and make a complete fool of himself. I'm surprised you're one of the few users who's ever heard of him.

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. People can't make up their minds if PMD Sky is PMD3, or if the Japan only WiiWare games are PMD3. Or if the potential PMD Gen V game would be PMD3.