• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are some questionable choices that the writers (or staff) have made in your opinion?

DatsRight

Really I feel like they should have had that instance where Tsareena's inexperience is put on display much earlier in the show and let Mallow actually train her.

It felt like her turning Persie into roadkill was meant to be a fake out that she was a total badass with zero training. Yeah they at least admitted she wasn't realistically on level with Ash's Pokemon in the end, but it doesn't change they wasted most of her screentime on that fake out with jobber beatings rather than letting her do any real battling or you know....ANYTHING else.

I feel like at the very least Mallow and Tsareena could have been non-battle rivals for Ash who took part in more stuff after the pancake race. Might have also given Shaymin something to do as well.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I think you misunderstood me. I'm saying that tsareena wasn't portrayed as strong.
Oh well that’s a difference of opinion. I think intention was that she got stronger after she evolved especially after that Alolan Persian episode where she saved Lillie, Ash and co

Especially when this was right after her evolution episode. Persian didn’t even touch her wild or not

DatsRight

Oh well that’s a difference of opinion. I think intention was that she got stronger after she evolved especially after that Alolan Persian episode where she saved Lillie, Ash and co
The issue there is that Mallow hadn't REMOTELY trained Tsareena in any of her forms, so it wouldn't have felt earned.

Her getting jobbed in the league is a let down, but her being plot armoured into a powerhouse that can swat away opponents like nothing would have been just as bogus, especially since a lot more evolutions than usual were earned or story driven in SM.

Again, it could have worked if they had much more quickly established that Tsareena was good at dishing hits but not experienced at all with TAKING them, thus given her some time to get proper experience, but they didn't at all seem interested in having Tsareena battle unless it was TR or someone else low level that can't even scratch her.

Sham

The Guardian of War
The issue there is that Mallow hadn't REMOTELY trained Tsareena in any of her forms, so it wouldn't have felt earned.

Her getting jobbed in the league is a let down, but her being plot armoured into a powerhouse that can swat away opponents like nothing would have been just as bogus.
Well that was my point. If they were hyping Mallow’s Tsareena to be this Pokémon who’s gotten stronger after just evolving then they should of delivered with giving her more experience.

Personally I wouldn’t of even used Lana as a trainer to display how much “weaker” Mallow is because of a lack of training but yea. The plot armor isn’t just with her with Primarina magically learning Icy Wind right before this battle.

DatsRight

Well that was my point. If they were hyping Mallow’s Tsareena to be this Pokémon who’s gotten stronger after just evolving then they should of delivered with giving her more experience.

Personally I wouldn’t of even used Lana as a trainer to display how much “weaker” Mallow is because of a lack of training but yea. The plot armor isn’t just with her with Primarina magically learning Icy Wind right before this battle.
Again it seems to be a common problem with the girls in modern series. They don't let them battle or train at all, so just put them in situations it's pretty much IMPOSSIBLE for them to lose or even get hurt in any capacity.

XY onwards, they get KOed once their whole run, like sort of this token gesture to show they haven't been plot armoured to be even stronger than Ash like Tsareena risked looking pre-league.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Again it seems to be a common problem with the girls in modern series. They don't let them battle or train at all, so just put them in situations it's pretty much IMPOSSIBLE for them to lose or even get hurt in any capacity.

XY onwards, they get KOed once their whole run, like sort of this token gesture to show they haven't been plot armoured to be even stronger than Ash like Tsareena risked looking pre-league.
I’m assuming you’re predominantly talking about Serena’s track record specifically the Braxien and Pikachu battle? What are your thoughts on Bea and Iris?

Gingertail24

Especially when this was right after her evolution episode. Persian didn’t even touch her wild or not

My problem with that is that Alolan Persian was never displayed as a strong pokemon in the first place. Litten took care of it, and he barely knew how to use fire fang or ember. That thing was just as much as a jobber as TR

Pretty sure the battle with Lana was the staff acknowledging that ,no tsareena really isn't that strong

DatsRight

In hindsight Mallow not battling sticks out even further with Shaymin. Shaymin had healing moves, an ideal balance for Tsareena being a glass cannon. If she trained at all, Mallow's team would be PERFECT for double battles.

I’m assuming you’re predominantly talking about Serena’s track record specifically the Braxien and Pikachu battle? What are your thoughts on Bea and Iris?
Well that stick out but really it's just the trend overall. Serena does especially stick out however since she was in a very action oriented series, and they had to still try and make her part of the action, which meant a lot of intense scenes like the Flare arc where even Ash is struggling and his Pokemon are getting toasted, but Serena is just getting by with the odd Flamethrower spam and not even got a single scuff on her's.

There's often excuses behind it like getting lamer opponents, it feels like the writers KNOW they can't logically make them a pro out of nowhere, but they want to give the illusion of them being one, likely because the other option is them being damsels in distress or Johto era Brock and Misty.

Concerning Bea and Iris, I haven't seen all of Bea's appearances to quite judge, but Iris was the last proper female battler, and while she did have some not so brilliantly handled moments like Axew being plot armoured powerhouse moves (in fairness so did Ash), she was still forced to train and battle properly SOME times. They even subverted a plot armour moment by noting her out of control Dragonite wasn't really an earned win. Iris was an experienced battler in the first place anyway, she had a big winning streak even.

Really I feel like most of the minor females that appear for an arc or two are done okay, maybe because they only need one or two token battles of actual substance in the first place, but also because they usually have established experience. They don't make the mistake of establishing them as a rookie who'd never battled once and then wanting them to clean house in the action moments.

It's the same reason Acerola suddenly being able to match Kiawe in the league wasn't spurious because while Acerola never battled onscreen before, her actual experience was pretty much just a big question mark anyway. She could have been a pro for all we know.

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
The XY gags are some of the questionable decisions they’ve made so far. Like why does Bonnie want to marry off his brother (which is an absolute abysmal replacement from Brock’s funny ear pulls)? Why does Ash keep saying “Science is amazing?!”? Who in their right mind thought it was a great idea to have a second Pikachu like rodent? And the funniest gag of them all isn’t even a gag. Serena standing there just to blush & look pretty and having her career of choice being a combination of simple activities she’s done in a few episodes, and everyone’s just ok watching it.

And the constant bait in the previews were really annoying.

Contests in AG were fixed unless Drew was there to beat May. It had many issues that was soon perfected in DP
Why do you have such a hate boner for May? I do agree that Contests were improved in DP (and definitely a lot more dazzling) and May lost to other Coordinators than just Drew. He was just her main rival. Just wanted to add that I really enjoyed the attempts at her losing.

Last edited:
The XY gags are some of the questionable decisions they’ve made so far. Like why does Bonnie want to marry off his brother (which is an absolute abysmal replacement from Brock’s funny ear pulls)? Why does Ash keep saying “Science is amazing?!”? Who in their right mind thought it was a great idea to have a second Pikachu like rodent? And the funniest gag of them all isn’t even a gag. Serena standing there just to blush & look pretty and having her career of choice being a combination of simple activities she’s done in a few episodes, and everyone’s just ok watching it.

And the constant bait in the previews were really annoying.

Why do you have such a hate boner for May? I do agree that Contests were improved in DP (and definitely a lot more dazzling) and May lost to other Coordinators than just Drew. He was just her main rival. Just wanted to add that I really enjoyed the attempts at her losing.
HOW DARE YOU DISS THE FUTURE IS NOW THANKS TO SCIENCE! SCIENCE IS SO AMAZING!

DatsRight

The fact Bonnie attempted to sabotage the first instance Clemont seemed to genuinely get a girlfriend, and then went RIGHT back to doing the same shtick with someone else would suggest it's a normal sibling thing where she's just subconciously driven to humiliate her brother. :p

My main problem with XY isn't that it had the running gags or catchphrases, but more they were almost THE ENTIRE SUBSTANCE interaction wise. I feel like SM handled Ash's dopiness around technology in a more fun way with spontaneous interactions and behaviour. If XY had done stuff like that AND had the catchphrase, I think it would have been fine.

This is kind of why I prefer the first season of XY since it did have more times different gags or banter happened or cases they made fun of the running gags (eg. the episode where Team Rocket disguise as everyone and mock their catchphrases, which they insist sound nothing like them).

Bendicion

Water Master
Bonnie's and Clemont's annoying running gags. I find Bonnie extremely annoying in the anime. Her voice, her character, and the way she acts. I actually prefer Iris over her and would much rather listen to Iris' catchphrase of calling Ash "Such a kid" than listen to Bonnie's annoying childish squeaky dialogue. Also Clemonts inventions constantly failing. Its like every time he pulls out a new invention, you already know the end result.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
I'll restrict myself to one major mistake per saga. If I don't, I'm sure this'll turn into a vitriol-filled rant directed towards a couple of specific

OS: GS Ball. I don't know why having Celebi in the movie meant they couldn't also do the plot in the anime itself.
AG: Thunder Armor. Just...why?
DP: Not ending Ash's journey.
BW: Ash's mental regression. It completely destroyed Ash, and is the single worst mistake this anime has made.
XY: 'Kalos League Victory!'
SM: A sudden, major shift in Ash's personality for a THIRD time?
JN: This stupid thing
ywnHPmX.png

I had to restrict myself to one writing gaffe per saga, otherwise I'd probably spend hours ranting about a couple sagas in particular.

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
She's basically a bitter Misty fan so she's bizarrely spreading hate for May in every thread. People have called her out on it multiple times. I think everyone notices what she's doing. (If you look through her post history over half her posts are about May over and over). She's even copy/pasting the same old posts over and over again without changing anything which is a common troll tactic.

I think she's just forever mad that Misty was axed at the beginning of the animes history and the writers barely focus on Misty's goal, pokemon or battles and it frustrates her that Takeshi Shudo didn't care about the character.
I noticed a lot of her posts involved some sort of jab towards May. I disagree that Shudo didn’t care for Misty. It was either her or the TRio. He did have some old traditional views concerning women (especially with the whole Misty ain’t conventionally attractive comment.) Either way, Shudo has passed since and moved onto other projects and fortunately, Misty has been given much more love and treatment that she deserved after his run.

Aransans

I noticed a lot of her posts involved some sort of jab towards May. I disagree that Shudo didn’t care for Misty. It was either her or the TRio. He did have some old traditional views concerning women (especially with the whole Misty ain’t conventionally attractive comment.) Either way, Shudo has passed since and moved onto other projects and fortunately, Misty has been given much more love and treatment that she deserved after his run.
Agreed. Which is why I don't understand why you see Misty fans still fuming. They should be glad that after Johto ended that Misty got better development in her cameos and specials than when she was a main character. On the cast after awhile Misty was just treated like Brock 2.0 where she didn't do much more than repeat his exposition dialogue for all of Johto