• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are some questionable choices that the writers (or staff) have made in your opinion?

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
-Ash's Charizard jobbing to a mere Dusclops after sweeping half of Gary's team at the Silver Conference and outlasting a god damn Articuno.

-May jobbing to Dawn

-Ash vs Trip first battle although I understand why,to start the Boonies vs Unova Rivalry but realistically Pikachu still should've been able to beat that Snivy despite the inability to use Electric type moves.This is worse than Pikachu losing to Paul's Elekid.

-Ash's Pikachu losing to Cress's Panpour

-Ash jobbing to Iris at the Club Battle Tournament

-The writers bringing Ash's Charizard back in late BW just to be a damn travel companion instead of bringing it back for it's true purpose. Charizard vs Reshiram

-Allowing any average joe off the street to enter into the Alola League

-Not giving Ash enough on screen training to justify the power of his pokemon in Journeys.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
-Allowing any average joe off the street to enter into the Alola League

This. So accurate. Any child who just makes sandwiches or get served by maids all day could enter with barely battle experience and any qualifications and admission process

And also, not bringing an amazing rival like Paul to the anime again

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
What was wrong with that one? Been a while since I've seen it.
I hated the entire writing of it. The first 3 Mega Evolution specials are some of the best content in the anime, so having it's conclusion being the piss poor episode we got was so so so disappointing
They offscreened the Alain's charizard vs 10 megas plotline which was actually interesting, made Malva too easy, was used only as a setup for XYZ, the Zygarde stuff was awful, and it completely ruined Alain's and his relationship with Mairin's writing potential

DayQuil95

I hated the entire writing of it. The first 3 Mega Evolution specials are some of the best content in the anime, so having it's conclusion being the piss poor episode we got was so so so disappointing
They offscreened the Alain's charizard vs 10 megas plotline which was actually interesting, made Malva too easy, was used only as a setup for XYZ, the Zygarde stuff was awful, and it completely ruined Alain's and his relationship with Mairin's writing potential
Fair enough. It did feel like the weakest of the 4, but then again, it's kinda difficult to top the Hoenn one lol.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Brock and Misty not coming back for the Manalo Conference at the end of Sun and Moon. They should have showed up with Oak and Delia to cheer on Ash.

Shauna not showing up for XY105 (Party Dancecapades). And the execution of the scene where Ash agrees to be Miette’s date.

Not allowing Ash to catch a legendary Pokémon while Go can when he’s bonded with so many, D F is that?!
Meltan: Am I a joke to you?

I know…Meltan is a Mythical, not a Legendary. But what’s the difference between those besides how they’re acquired in the games?

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Brock and Misty not coming back for the Manalo Conference at the end of Sun and Moon. They should have showed up with Oak and Delia to cheer on Ash.
yeah why didn't they do that? They already had SM designs

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Fair enough. It did feel like the weakest of the 4, but then again, it's kinda difficult to top the Hoenn one lol.
I honestly didnt need it to top the Hoenn one, I was happy with a more grounded episode just focusing on Alain and his relationship with Charizard and Mairin, like was done in ep1, and was so hyped for him facing off against 10 mega evolution trainers but yeah.....

DayQuil95

Another weird choice from the staff for me is both Melmetal and Naganadel, not their catching status of course, since I liked both Pokemon, but rather their evolution and release respectively. I mean, it's just a little too convenient to have Melmetal evolve right before the Gladion match, and not only have Naganadel return but rather be released for a reason that was so ridiculous but I don't see many people talking about it.
Melmetal I can understand since apparently, they had to rush some stuff as the league was coming to a conclusion and they needed it to show up quickly, but Naganadel? What was the point of that? We have seen this same show of "Pokemon reunites with family and leaves" quite a few times now, and in this case, it simply felt really unnecessary, as they already gave Ash a legendary/mythical, so why not just keep it the Ultra Beast as well? If their logic was it being too OP, then that's just stupid, because not only did Ash keep Melmetal, a literal legendary, after the league and Kukui fight, but they had Naganadel literally return in an incredibly lazy way just to fight Kukui and then leave again.

DatsRight

Another weird choice from the staff for me is both Melmetal and Naganadel, not their catching status of course, since I liked both Pokemon, but rather their evolution and release respectively. I mean, it's just a little too convenient to have Melmetal evolve right before the Gladion match, and not only have Naganadel return but rather be released for a reason that was so ridiculous but I don't see many people talking about it.
Melmetal I can understand since apparently, they had to rush some stuff as the league was coming to a conclusion and they needed it to show up quickly, but Naganadel? What was the point of that? We have seen this same show of "Pokemon reunites with family and leaves" quite a few times now, and in this case, it simply felt really unnecessary, as they already gave Ash a legendary/mythical, so why not just keep it the Ultra Beast as well? If their logic was it being too OP, then that's just stupid, because not only did Ash keep Melmetal, a literal legendary, after the league and Kukui fight, but they had Naganadel literally return in an incredibly lazy way just to fight Kukui and then leave again.
I didn't mind Melmetal's evolution as much since it was at least plot revolved, with Meltan deciding to merge with its bretheren after seeing Rowlet fight. At least it didn't evolve by 'power of really really wanting it' mid battle which would have felt like total plot armour. Otherwise I kinda liked the legendary vs mythical premise of the Gladion fight, I don't think the anime ever tried a two way rare mons battle before.

Naganadel did kinda demonstrate how much time they had wasted though, Poipole got to battle in ONE episode prior to its return and was now fully evolved and with a proper moveset. I feel if we'd seen Ash training Poipole some of that boost beforehand and the Guzzlord invasion had been a two parter to make it feel less like a forced plot device, it would have been excusable, but I see your point with that one.

Really while I don't mind the mass legendary/mythical captures in SM, or even how undersold they were (actually made their bonds among the group feel more organic), it was bizarre how little they let them do in the long run. Meltan was severely late so had to be rushed through, Poipole spent its whole arc as comic relief before a convinient brief return fully bulked, Shaymin barely got to do anything, and even Silvally, though handled okay in terms of lore and as a rival opponent, seldom got to do any Ultra Beast chasing it was built for.

DayQuil95

I didn't mind Melmetal's evolution as much since it was at least plot revolved, with Meltan deciding to merge with its bretheren after seeing Rowlet fight. At least it didn't evolve by 'power of really really wanting it' mid battle which would have felt like total plot armour. Otherwise I kinda liked the legendary vs mythical premise of the Gladion fight, I don't think the anime ever tried a two way rare mons battle before.

Naganadel did kinda demonstrate how much time they had wasted though, Poipole got to battle in ONE episode prior to its return and was now fully evolved and with a proper moveset. I feel if we'd seen Ash training Poipole some of that boost beforehand and the Guzzlord invasion had been a two parter to make it feel less like a forced plot device, it would have been excusable, but I see your point with that one.

Really while I don't mind the mass legendary/mythical captures in SM, or even how undersold they were (actually made their bonds among the group feel more organic), it was bizarre how little they let them do in the long run. Meltan was severely late so had to be rushed through, Poipole spent its whole arc as comic relief before a convinient brief return fully bulked, Shaymin barely got to do anything, and even Silvally, though handled okay in terms of lore and as a rival opponent, seldom got to do any Ultra Beast chasing it was built for.
Pretty much, it just feels like they don't plan some stuff properly as far as balancing the development of some of the team members go, and it simply would feel really cool to have Ash leave Alola with not only a mythical under his belt but also an Ultra Beast of Naganadel's caliber. But yeah, I see your points and agree with them here.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
1. Ash releasing Goodra twice
2. The orange sm boy not doing a makeover
3. Serena not doing regular contests in Hoenn
4. Max not appearing
5. Having 7-8 years old children (the blue fish girl and the orange boy) in sm own Pokemon, when in previous series it was established this age is too young for that
6. Jessie not catching a Pokemon in the current series
7. Dawn not being top coordinator

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
the big issue was that Poipole did nothing in its own arc, so he kinda felt pointless in the end

Ash releasing Goodra is one of the worst mistakes he ever made, along with over exhausting Pikachu during the Kalos League finals

Gingertail24

Lol I genuinely forgot silvally was meant to defeat ultra beast. That thing battled like one ultra beast? And then it lost to it....

Pokemonfan5

OS: the way Ash lose indigo league, lack of Gary presence throughout OS, what's the purpose of Misty's existence other than filling girl spot in the show

AG/BF: why Max was added, wh Ash didn't get recurring rival, the goodbye scene at the end of BF, how May lose in Kanto grand festival and why Ash need to lose against Gary again to learn same thing he already learned from Drake

DP: why Ash's partner pokemon treated as trash as torkoal until final season, why Ash need to be destroyed so many times that he even lose to wild pokemon despite having type advantage, why Tobias existed who just come out of nowhere and throw away all the champion league build up which Ash was supposed to take on after winning Sinnoh league, Dawn losing to Zoey in grand festival means no conclusion of their rivalry

BW: so many questionable things, why Ash trainer skills got reset, writing of entire Unova league except Ash vs Stephan, Ash vs Elesa, why Iris and Cilan goodbye was like Ash saying goodbye to COTD characters

XY: forcing rivalry between Ash and Alain just to make Ash lose league again, all the anger Alain shown at the end of mega evolution special literally gone just to force the rivalry, why Serena acting like her entire life is over in her showcase debut episode just because Fennekin slipped which probably no one saw, why Ash get depressed so easily in early season for small things or need to learn things he already learned in past

SM: why Matori matrix even showed up in Necrozma arc if they not going to add anything, why show connection between Nanu and Giovanni if they not going to explain their history, what's the point of giving Ash steel z, Ash arguing with Rotom

JN: why ceries park is in Kanto instead of galar which could've get Galar much needed focus, why JN series is so episodic, why Legendaries are treated so weak most of the time, why Ash pokemons rarely shown but getting so much powerful without explanation

Last edited: