• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are some questionable choices that the writers (or staff) have made in your opinion?

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
TR's gatcha machine in Pokemon Journeys. Just, why?

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
TR's gatcha machine in Pokemon Journeys. Just, why?
I hated it. It was one of the worst things to ever happen to Team Rocket. I loved how that despite being the “bad guys”, they also cared about their Pokémon. Most of those gacha Pokémon have zero personality and are forgotten after one episode, meaning no more emotional connection. I hope that if Team Rocket stays in the S/V anime, that they get to catch their own Gen 9 Pokémon to bond with.

DatsRight

It's saying something that the one Pokemon they DID catch is an unlikeable brat that beats them up for food and has almost zero bonding moments with them. They're really not generous with any sentimentality for TRio this series. :p

I kinda like the idea of the Gacha upgrading their schemes and giving them some new ammunition and gags every time they fight the twerps, but they don't really make enough creative use of it to make up for the substance they took away.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I hated it. It was one of the worst things to ever happen to Team Rocket. I loved how that despite being the “bad guys”, they also cared about their Pokémon. Most of those gacha Pokémon have zero personality and are forgotten after one episode, meaning no more emotional connection. I hope that if Team Rocket stays in the S/V anime, that they get to catch their own Gen 9 Pokémon to bond with.
I don’t know, I personally don’t mind it. Like @DatsRight said, there’s more room to create new gags and there is Morpeko as a regular to bounce off of (but like he said, they haven’t been using much creative use for Morpeko.) I like that the Pokémon they use when the TRio are fighting against the twerps are somewhat able to hold their ground and not an automatic OHKO. And I like how they established the Gacha Machine in the earlier episodes when Matori appeared.

And i don’t find the newer Pokémon they’ve bonded with after DP to be memorable, amusing, or of use outside of Bewear and Mimikyu (and I guess Hidoide in some moments.)

DatsRight

I don’t know, I personally don’t mind it. Like @DatsRight said, there’s more room to create new gags and there is Morpeko as a regular to bounce off of (but like he said, they haven’t been using much creative use for Morpeko.) I like that the Pokémon they use when the TRio are fighting against the twerps are somewhat able to hold their ground and not an automatic OHKO. And I like how they established the Gacha Machine in the earlier episodes when Matori appeared.

And i don’t find the newer Pokémon they’ve bonded with after DP to be memorable, amusing, or of use outside of Bewear and Mimikyu (and I guess Hidoide in some moments.)
I like some of the post-DP Pokemon but the problem is kinda telling through their use.

Take XY for example, I liked Inkay and Gourgeist, but after a short run of being a threat, they just slowly feel into the same rut EVERY DAMN EPISODE, same two Pokemon, same two attacks, same 'Dodge', same return fire from the twerps, Blasting off-a-diddly-derp. It was practically a cut and paste each and every time. Not to mention they got no new Pokemon against three trainers, one being Ash at his peak with Greninja. Even AG and DP shown they weren't automatically screwed if just more than two of the twerps' Pokemon were brought out.

They rarely even try using Meowth and Wobbuffet at this point (and they don't let the guys remotely upgrade anyway so it's the same thing SHOW-wide for them).

The Gacha has potential, since while it trades off consistent Pokemon to get attached to, it means new battles and setups so Team Rocket aren't left stagnant as the twerps get more and more powerful. Ash is champion now, they need SOME extra assurance they're not doomed from the get go. Even the times they fail miserably can be more amusing. The faceoff with the Slaking line was a great gag. Again though, there's this recurrent lethargy with the Gacha, sometimes it's even just the quick spam battle that we usually get their usual Pokemon.

I generally feel that Team Rocket's shtick stays funny if there are SOME change ups, if their schemes escalate but they still keep being left one step behind the twerps, rather than just repeating the same one over and over and gradually being left 300+ steps behind. It's why giving them the Z Moves was a good move as well, even if AGAIN they didn't make enough use of it. It's part why their earliest schemes were entertaining as well, since they'd keep retrying ones but with some sort of tweak, like the electric proof gadgets.

I feel like the nearest to a possible compromise is to give them consistent Pokemon to get attached to, but let them actually level grind or even apply gadgets and schemes on them. Maybe they have a Pokemon who's gimmick applies new tactics each time, like meeting another Ditto. Or maybe they just raid a TM factory and mix and match attacks.

Last edited:

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Tr barely seen:/
Not growing the hair of the blue sm girl and fixing it abit
Koharu not using other hairstyles

Tr barely seen:/
Not growing the hair of the blue sm girl and fixing it abit
Koharu not using other hairstyles
I agree, the writers could be doing a lot more with her hair.

It’s a shame since she has so much potential. For a while it was set up as a running joke like Dawn was ( whom had many hairstyles) but no we haven’t even seen her with her hair down in 38 episodes.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I agree, the writers could be doing a lot more with her hair.

It’s a shame since she has so much potential. For a while it was set up as a running joke like Dawn was ( whom had many hairstyles) but no we haven’t even seen her with her hair down in 38 episodes.
I fully agree with you.
I liked her hair when its down and idk why she uses this scorpion tail hairstyle :/
Its a shame cuz her hair color is unique and fits with her eye color

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Putting ash and the others in today's episode. It's not as bad as Steven universe, but the fact that they feel the need to shove him in this episode was weird especially when he just sat there and basically did nothing. Along with Chloe and goh
I feel Ash, Goh and Chloe’s presence in the episode was to make it a sole reminder to the audience to know what series the episode was part of. Remove that trio, and you wouldn’t know it was a JN episode.

Kamised

Togepi probably should have gone to Ash (he fell on it first), instead of Misty. I get the feeling the writers would have done something with it if Ash had it since he's the main character and battler, so all his captures have to do something eventually.

With Misty she held it for 200 episodes and 90% of the time you would forget it existed because it just sat in her arms. So she was just sidelined with a baby in her arms. Looks like sexist writing in retrospect, the one female character on the main cast had to just be treated like a mother while Ash did everything.

Bendicion

Water Master
May beating Zoey's Glameow before the halfway point of Sinnoh is impressive in absolutely no way. Dawn faced stronger versions of that Pokemon. The Zoey vs May battle benefits Zoey much more than it does May.

KukuiFanatic501

The deus ex machina z crystal from the aether arc.

Like why doesn’t all special z crystals come out of nowhere?
To be fair it’s not so much a DEM in the sense that it’s existence in the first place doesn’t make sense, as it comes from Ash and Pikachu being perfectly synced and at their full power. Considering Pikachu is logically Ashs’s closest partner, him having a special Z move with his longest partner Pokémon makes at least some lick of sense.

Kamised

May beating Zoey's Glameow before the halfway point of Sinnoh is impressive in absolutely no way. Dawn faced stronger versions of that Pokemon. The Zoey vs May battle benefits Zoey much more than it does May.
Even if Zoey did get stronger later on, May was able to beat her at that point of the series. The Sinnoh GF made it clear Zoey and Nando were far above Dawn's level at the time at least.

Kamised

Speaking of Nando, the writers never having an interest in having Nando compete against Dawn in a single contest made absolutely no sense to me.
Yeah, I have no idea how Nando who was introduced in literally the 4th DP episode...then proceeded to never battle Dawn in a Contest for the next 190+ eps of DP and 4 years.

It's why I don't really consider Nando to be one of Dawn's rivals, he was actually Zoey's rival. His whole character was kind of mishandled considering what he could have been. A lot of Dawn's rivals besides Zoey got very few appearances (Ursula doesn't even debut until 3 years into DP, and only appears 3 times). I don't know why they didn't appear more given DP's sheer length of 4 years.