• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are some traditions in Pokémon Adventure?

BenLee really not taken

Hey everyone, Bhrjr here.
When I see people bringing up Pokémon manga, one thing they say is how it isn’t repetitive like the anime or that it is less formulaic. However, when looking at the protagonists in the manga, it is clear that they follow a specific formula, which they are always named after the new games along with a title, gets a starter Pokémon of that respective region, and possibly ends up with 6 Pokémon. So what are some other traditions, or things Pokémon Adventure is bound to repeat in every arc?
For one, I can see that Chairtarō, who is the referee in every tournaments, reappearing. (I guess he is then”Looker” of Pokespe. Also, robots based on beginning birds, such as Pidgeot bots or Fletchling bots
Edit: I actually made a chart showcasing dexholder’s tradition:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-NYQODsgd7QOX2bSqcPYjNKlVo2PKWzuJIDhQ5LEs7A

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
There's always an epic final battle full of all kinds of participants you would or wouldn't expect to come. In fact I think the one that had the fewest participants was XY's final battle and even then that was still pretty huge with a lot of trainers participating.

Macromind101

The starter types chosen by the male protagonist, female protagonist, and third protagonist (sometimes but not always the rival) cycle through grass --> fire --> water. (i.e. Red is grass, Gold is fire, Ruby is water, Dia is grass, etc.)

The Dexholders all appear to be "chosen ones" of some sort, specializing in a particular element of Pokemon like training, trading and evolving.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Whenever a new feature is established as an integral important feature of that game, we should expect a main character to represent that feature. For example, Gold represents Gen 2's breeding feature. Ruby represented Gen 3's Pokemon Contests, Diamond represented Gen 4's poffin feature, White represents Gen 5's Pokemusicals, Y represents Gen 6's Sky battles and it's possible that Sun represents Poke Pelago in the future.

BenLee really not taken

The starter types chosen by the male protagonist, female protagonist, and third protagonist (sometimes but not always the rival) cycle through grass --> fire --> water. (i.e. Red is grass, Gold is fire, Ruby is water, Dia is grass, etc.)

The Dexholders all appear to be "chosen ones" of some sort, specializing in a particular element of Pokemon like training, trading and evolving.
After seeing that, I was imagining, what if Kusaka wrote a protagonist who’s deal was that he was really incompetent. Where, he becomes self aware that he is a Pokedex holder, when he gets a starter Pokémon, gets a Pokedex, and realizes he wears a hat.

TotallyNotCrt

The starter types really care only about the male protag and the female protag and indeed cycle.

Female protagonist will always have the type disadvantage to the male.

Red: Grass, Blue(green): Water
Gold: Fire, Crystal: Grass
Ruby: Water, Sapphire: Fire
---Loop Restarts after Water---
Diamond: Grass, Platinum: Water
Black: Fire, White: Grass (Gigi/Bubu was to trick you)
Lack-Two: Water, Whi-Two: Presumably Fire.
X: Grass, Y: Water
Sun: Fire, Moon: Grass (I don't know why people thought she wouldn't get grass, it was up in the next rotation!)
(Eighth Gen Male): Water, (Eighth Gen Female): Fire

__

The Rivals don't really matter.
Basically, Males follow Grass, Fire Water
and Girls always follow Water, Grass, Fire.

BenLee really not taken

The starter types really care only about the male protag and the female protag and indeed cycle

Isn’t it because there are no “rival” characters in Pokespe anymore?
Blue (Male), had a Charmander, type superior to Red. Silver has a Water type, Emerald has a Grass type, and Pearl has a Fire type. Where, there are no rival protagonists as third version games don’t exist anymore.

horrahforyou

Pokemon and Kamen Rider is life
The starter types really care only about the male protag and the female protag and indeed cycle.

Female protagonist will always have the type disadvantage to the male.

Red: Grass, Blue(green): Water
Gold: Fire, Crystal: Grass
Ruby: Water, Sapphire: Fire
Diamond: Grass, Platinum: Water
Black: Fire, White: Grass (Gigi/Bubu was to trick you)
Lack-Two: Water, Whi-Two: Presumably Fire.
X: Grass, Y: Water
Sun: Fire, Moon: Grass (I don't know why people thought she wouldn't get grass, it was up in the next rotation!)
(Eighth Gen Male): Water, (Eighth Gen Female): Fire

__

If we are going to have the the LGPE chapters .
Probably The Male will receive Pikachu. Then the female receives Eevee.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
As per no 3rd game= no rival, no starter, Hau got Popplio and prior to Emerald release Wally had Treecko. Only missing one is a Fennekin trainer. I still hope Hugh gets Snivy. And there's still the mystery od White 2 but I guess she will end with N's (previously White's) Tepig.

BenLee really not taken

Another thing I see, is that Special likes to keep everything previous the same way, for example Pokeballs and Pikachu. For Super Ball and Ultra Balls, they have the S and H symbol, even in the recent arcs when the games do not have such. Also, Pikachu isn’t slim, where the manga kept the same body shape of Pikachu.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Another thing I see, is that Special likes to keep everything previous the same way, for example Pokeballs and Pikachu. For Super Ball and Ultra Balls, they have the S and H symbol, even in the recent arcs when the games do not have such. Also, Pikachu isn’t slim, where the manga kept the same body shape of Pikachu.
Actually in frlg pikachu look lot like their game and anime counterparts

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
No, in chapter 270, Yamamoto drew Pika with the generic Pikachu design from the games. He reverted to his chubby Mato design in chapter 279 when fighting Deoxys.

Since then, Yamamoto keeps flip-flopping between the game design and the Mato design whenever we see a Pikachu in the background. I believe he more consistently uses the Mato design.

Another thing I see, is that Special likes to keep everything previous the same way, for example Pokeballs and Pikachu. For Super Ball and Ultra Balls, they have the S and H symbol, even in the recent arcs when the games do not have such.

What? Where? I just checked random pages and they had no such thing.

BenLee really not taken

No, in chapter 270, Yamamoto drew Pika with the generic Pikachu design from the games. He reverted to his chubby Mato design in chapter 279 when fighting Deoxys.

Since then, Yamamoto keeps flip-flopping between the game design and the Mato design whenever we see a Pikachu in the background. I believe he more consistently uses the Mato design.

What? Where? I just checked random pages and they had no such thing.
On chapter 453, Lance looks at his Dragonite in Hyper Ball, and it had a H in the middle. However, I did find in chapter 444, when Bruno showed Lance’s Dragonite in Super Ball, it didn’t have a S in the middle. It must have been flip-flop as you said.

e9310103838

According to tradition about the naming of the main characters, first version name as male protagonist, second version name as a male rival who can be named in game (and when the game does not have a corresponding role, replace it with female protagonist), and third vrsion name as female protagonist.

However in B2W2, although Hugh can be named in game, this is very certain that there will be no more versions. So they reserved this version name White 2 for the female protagonist and consistent with Black and White.

The eighth generation is about to be launched. If a nameable male rival is introduced, then they will be really broken the naming tradition, use the second version name as female protagonist when we are not sure if there are more versions.

By the way, there are rumors recently that the name of the new game may be called King and Queen... well. :rolleyes:

BenLee really not taken

According to tradition about the naming of the main characters, first version name as male protagonist, second version name as a male rival who can be named in game (and when the game does not have a corresponding role, replace it with female protagonist), and third vrsion name as female protagonist.

However in B2W2, although Hugh can be named in game, this is very certain that there will be no more versions. So they reserved this version name White 2 for the female protagonist and consistent with Black and White.

The eighth generation is about to be launched. If a nameable male rival is introduced, then they will be really broken the naming tradition, use the second version name as female protagonist when we are not sure if there are more versions.

By the way, there are rumors recently that the name of the new game may be called King and Queen... well. :rolleyes:
Well, obviously. Gamefreak hasn’t made a single third version like Crystal or Platinum since Gen 4, and probably won’t ever again