• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are the chances of the anime getting completely revamped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonhart

Imagineer
If that scenario actually played out I would bet everything their son would be an Ash clone. Same personality, same looks and would probably have a Pikachu as well. Might as well keep Ash around.

It doesn't have to be a son though, he could have a daughter who has a different personality.

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer
I assume their unwillingness to do so is why we have stuff like Pokemon Origins and the Mega Evolution specials

Origins and the Mega Evolution Specials is exactly the feel that the main anime should have.

Give us that and everything would much better imo. They can even keep Ash and whoever he travels with.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Origins and the Mega Evolution Specials is exactly the feel that the main anime should have.

Give us that and everything would much better imo. They can even keep Ash and whoever he travels with.

The Origin was too fast paced, as were the Mega Evolution Acts. Even if the main show was like them in terms of writing, it would need fillers to pad things out. So not much would change from how things are now.

Crystal

The Pokemon Observer
The Origin was too fast paced, as were the Mega Evolution Acts. Even if the main show was like them in terms of writing, it would need fillers to pad things out. So not much would change from how things are now.

No, the show don't need fillers to pad things out, it just need to include all the important events in between, elongate those events that had severely shorten to just one short cameo scene back into their "normal length".

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
A chance of 1% after every pokemon series.

Short and simple answer.

I don't think anything would change either especially if Ash stayed in the theoretical revamped series. Okay maybe the writing could improve if there was a new writing team, but that's probably the best case scenario.

Navin

MALDREAD
I'd like to see better planning honestly. Establish the characters, their motivations and goals, the rivals, any villains, etc. early on in the series. Have them progress throughout the series, and resolve plotlines when necessary. Make sure to have continuity to previous regions. Leave sufficient amount of episodes for the female main goal, the villain climax, and especially the league. I felt DP did this the best out of any series, but even that wasn't perfect.

thiagomestres

I'd like to see better planning honestly. Establish the characters, their motivations and goals, the rivals, any villains, etc. early on in the series. Have them progress throughout the series, and resolve plotlines when necessary. Make sure to have continuity to previous regions. Leave sufficient amount of episodes for the female main goal, the villain climax, and especially the league. I felt DP did this the best out of any series, but even that wasn't perfect.

Yes, we all want a better series, but... ew, no, DP's anime series was definetly one of the worst and i don't think they should think of DP as the best one from the series. The art style was terrible, the heads were too big, the clouds looked like something a 5 years old kid drew and the battles had too many stoic backgrounds. Not to mention that awful generic dialogue... "hey are you okay?" "yes, i'm" "okay that's great" and stuff like that. One of the only good things about that series was Paul, but even him couldn't save Ash's DP plot, thanks to DP Ash being extremely OoC and boring as heck, even though he was somewhat of a decent trainer, who's still overestimated whatsover, bc he still lost some ridiculous battles, like his Pikachu and Dawn's Piplup losing to a freaking Magikarp for gods sake. Brock barely got any development, only receiving 1 important episode by the end of the series. Dawn's goal received a lot of screentime, but her rivals were bland and boring as heck... please, don't ever remind me of Kenny. May definetly had way better rivals. Honestly, the only reason why DP remains popular here is because this forum loves fanservice, and DP surely had a lot of that with Dawn's mini skirt, Cynthia's hotness, old pokemon coming back and etc... Aside from the obvious fact that it was airing while the DS was a fever, a fact that definetly helped the series to regain a bit of it's popularity after the third generation. Oh yeah and it had less fillers, but the fillers it had were mostly TERRIBLE, it was either a repeat of a filler from the previous generations or it had a plot so stupid and childish that it felt like i was watching Teletubbies, like every bit of common disappeared from the world. By the way, they shouldn't ever again repeat something like Team Galactic's arc, we used to wait 40 episodes for them to show up just for them to do a really boring action like stealing a orb and then they would disappear again for like 40 episodes, rinse and repeat that several times until the show was almost over and then, at the end of team galactic's arc, we got one of the most anticlimatic conclusions ever where the main protagonists barely got to have a discussion with the main villain and the villain didn't even fought against someone important, not to mention the long-await legendaries's appearence lasted for like 12 seconds.. Summing up, yeah i want a better series, but i don't want them to use DP as a model of how this series should be.

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned

If the anime were to ever go through a significant change and become like Pokemon Origins, I don't think we'd even need Ash around for that. I think the anime should just start over fresh like a reboot if he wins the Kalos league. ^^

Navin

MALDREAD
Yes, we all want a better series, but... ew, no, DP's anime series was definetly one of the worst and i don't think they should think of DP as the best one from the series. The art style was terrible, the heads were too big, the clouds looked like something a 5 years old kid drew and the battles had too many stoic backgrounds. Not to mention that awful generic dialogue... "hey are you okay?" "yes, i'm" "okay that's great" and stuff like that.

I didn't find the animation in DP too bad; the enjoyable battles made up for it. Obviously if the anime retains XY-level production values, this won't be an issue. As for dialogue, I watched a lot of DP with the dub (some subs), so I don't know which you are referring to.

One of the only good things about that series was Paul, but even him couldn't save Ash's DP plot, thanks to DP Ash being extremely OoC and boring as heck, even though he was somewhat of a decent trainer, who's still overestimated whatsover, bc he still lost some ridiculous battles, like his Pikachu and Dawn's Piplup losing to a freaking Magikarp for gods sake.

DP Ash wasn't out of character. It felt the natural progression from AG. He was more mature and mellowed out, but still passionate when it came to his rivalry with Paul or helping Dawn in her Contests. The Magikarp was tongue-in-cheek humor.

Brock barely got any development, only receiving 1 important episode by the end of the series. Dawn's goal received a lot of screentime, but her rivals were bland and boring as heck... please, don't ever remind me of Kenny. May definetly had way better rivals. Honestly, the only reason why DP remains popular here is because this forum loves fanservice, and DP surely had a lot of that with Dawn's mini skirt, Cynthia's hotness, old pokemon coming back and etc... Aside from the obvious fact that it was airing while the DS was a fever, a fact that definetly helped the series to regain a bit of it's popularity after the third generation.

Agree with Brock. I am sure fanservice might have helped for some, but DP's battles, the rivalry with Paul, the continuity to previous series, Dawn as a co-star, etc. were all reasons people enjoyed it.

Oh yeah and it had less fillers, but the fillers it had were mostly TERRIBLE, it was either a repeat of a filler from the previous generations or it had a plot so stupid and childish that it felt like i was watching Teletubbies, like every bit of common disappeared from the world. By the way, they shouldn't ever again repeat something like Team Galactic's arc, we used to wait 40 episodes for them to show up just for them to do a really boring action like stealing a orb and then they would disappear again for like 40 episodes, rinse and repeat that several times until the show was almost over and then, at the end of team galactic's arc, we got one of the most anticlimatic conclusions ever where the main protagonists barely got to have a discussion with the main villain and the villain didn't even fought against someone important, not to mention the long-await legendaries's appearence lasted for like 12 seconds.. Summing up, yeah i want a better series, but i don't want them to use DP as a model of how this series should be.

In execution, it wasn't perfect, and problematic at times. But I felt they had a lot of great ideas that should have been retained in later series, especially introducing things early and having continuity.

DatsRight

I do think DP was a point the series was starting to suffer from fatigue from doing the same formula over and over. For what it's worth, while BW wasn't great, it was different in many regards, and I think they left DP a bit vindicated by history. The problem however was a lot of what made BW different wasn't favoured, sometimes not even by the creative team themselves, so rather than trying to fix it or make changes that DID work out, they just took it as sign to go back to normal in many regards, which only led to similar complaints as before BW (eg. people getting sick of TR doing the same stuff over and over).

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer
No, the show don't need fillers to pad things out, it just need to include all the important events in between, elongate those events that had severely shorten to just one short cameo scene back into their "normal length".

^This. Fillers are not necessary. I mean honestly, when I watch the anime, it feels like it is almost all filler. They can definitely cut down on the fillers and still have enough for a full anime.

I don't think anything would change either especially if Ash stayed in the theoretical revamped series. Okay maybe the writing could improve if there was a new writing team, but that's probably the best case scenario.

I would take what we could get.

If the anime were to ever go through a significant change and become like Pokemon Origins, I don't think we'd even need Ash around for that. I think the anime should just start over fresh like a reboot if he wins the Kalos league. ^^

I am all for revamping and starting new with a new protagonist. However, I doubt they would ever do that. Got to have Ash do the usual: Travel to the new region, get new traveling buddies, get the 8 badges, then lose in the League. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Kanto_Caper

Slim to none.

Which is too bad, because I really enjoyed Pokemon Origins and I'd LOVE IT if they did a full-length anime similar in style and tone to it. One a little more serious, mature, remove the Pokemon Speak (I liked it when the Pokemon made sounds and behaved like animals), follow the games' plots a little more closely, etc. One that can be enjoyable for the kids because they'll watch anything with Pokemon, but also enjoyable to the franchise's now-older generations. I also liked how Pokemon Origins incorporated real-world logic that explained plot holes in the game, like Gym Leaders choosing their Pokemon based on the experience level of the challenger (explaining why Brock has level 10-14 Pokemon while Giovanni has level 50 Pokemon), or Giovanni choosing to dismantle Team Rocket after Red beat him because Red gave him such a challenge that he remembered why he got into Pokemon in the first place (instead of just going, "Oh, you inspired me to quit my gang business" out of nowhere like the game.) I would have liked to have seen how much farther they took it. I'd also like it if they made it so each season was about one region (Season 1 is Kanto, Season 2 Johto, Season 3 Hoenn, etc), and have the main character(s) and rival(s) of the game be the main characters of that region, rather than having Ash (loosely inspired by Red) visit the new regions over and over.

If wishes were horses, right?

Bahmo

I could see something similar to Dragon Ball Kai happening where they get old episodes and make the animation better.

That'd help the kids get into Pokémon i guess.

That might have happened if they actually rode nostalgia a bit harder, but it seems like they didn't. Besides it being the 20th Anniversary of Pokemon, it bears mentioning that when they remade the G1 games, they did them in the style of Ruby and Sapphire, games which have now been remade themselves; hence, it wouldn't have been very surprising to have gotten 3DS remakes of the G1 games, but instead, we got 3DS emulations of Game Boy ROMs. They even managed to make Pokemon transferable from them (it only a took a bit over a decade!), so it's neat for the old fans, but hardly for children who have known 3D from birth. Match up a new game where kids can actually see the new Pokemon move around in full-color, against an old game where the old Pokemon are merely implied to be fighting, and there's no reason to believe the kids will care more about the old Pokemon, which means no reason to watch anime episodes devoted to them.

Silence27trey

I think they would benefit greatly with two alternate universes. One to cater for children and one revamp to attract their neglected older generation but yet caters to all generations. Mature doesnt mean nudity and cussing only it would be nice to have it more realistic PERIODICICALLY in that sense. But rather morals that correlate to all lifestyles, genders, and ages. Topics that would take ballls to discuss such as religion and the rebellion of it to be fair. A revamp of the game with harder to catch pokemon that actually has continuation like mass effect would be great also. im getting tired of catching them all over n over again n again.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
They either revamp it and fans are angry at the massive change, or don't and fans are annoyed it never changes. Damned if you do....

tommytoe

They either revamp it and fans are angry at the massive change, or don't and fans are annoyed it never changes. Damned if you do....
Only if the changes are poorly handled though. For instance, Best Wishes tried to break away from the formula in a few areas and actually had some nice ideas IMO but they were implemented poorly with little to no in-universe explanations or buildup. If the writers had put more effort and progression into things like the TRio becoming reasonably competent and Ash ditching what little progress he had made in previous regions, the season could have been a welcome change to the standard formula that they've been using for the past 19 years.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
They could always do another spin-off series instead of revamping the original series. I quite like the anime series as it is in my opinion.

Vivieeeeeee

As someone born around the time the Pokemon franchise was created, I do not want to see a grown up Ash. Sure I joke about Ash being youthful eternally while we age but the show is just right when he is a kid. I watch for his battles and bonding with Pokemon, not to see him flirt with people. That's for fanfiction. It's probably better to leave the room of imagination for the viewers(for example, Armourshipping rn) than to forcefully give him a female life companion - if they do, there will definitely be haters, and probably not a minority.

TrainerCami

I feel in a way XY did just this. Granted until GF revamped the series the anime has little it can do to truly change. At least XY changed stuff like no grass starter which honestly was a nice change for me. Also nice to see focus on others like the Korrina arc and Alain.

Status
Not open for further replies.