• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are the current ages of the Pokedex Holders?

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
So someone asked me a question in the Specialshipping thread about how old Red and Yellow's ages were. I just looked up Bulbapedia and decided to do the math from where the story arcs were left off but I noticed something off. Yellow's age is listed as 15 as of the Emerald Arc. I looked up other sources, including Serebii.net, to make sure I didn't made a mistake and most of them, outside of Pokemonwiki which says 15 also, says Yellow is Age 14 and Red is Age 16 around the FRLG arc. Not to mention there is literally a joke about Yellow being older than Silver in the FireRed and LeafGreen manga, showing Yellow is 14 years old and Silver being 13. If Bulbapedia is wrong or is basing it off of possibly a different translation, it's possible Red is actually 19. Since Yellow is two years off from Red's age, I assume she's 17. So I gave my guess to the person but then it occurred to me that maybe Bulbapedia only got it wrong with Yellow's age 15 and later on Red is 20 and by that, Yellow is 18. Now it just occurred to me that it's possible that the Pokedex holders might have aged an year old after a few months during the Emerald Arc, which is what happened to Blue, the female protagonist.

Basically, I have no clue what the original Pokedex holders ages are as of now or at least since the ORAS chapter. Considering there hasn't been an "ages" thread in a long while, I thought why not make a thread out of this. So here we are. Also feel free to discuss other Pokedex Holder ages as well.

Last edited:

e9310103838

She is fifteen years old in Emerald right. She is fourteen in FRLG and then fifteen.

And in ORAS, the time point seems to be in November due the Litleonids. So Red is twenty and Yellow is eighteen (and Johto trio are seventeen at the time).

I think Red, Green, and Blue are very likely to be thirty years old in SM (and XY). This is ten years after ORAS. :D

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
I think these must be the most accurate ages:

Red, Blue, Green: 20 (as of ORAS since Litleonids occur in November), I guess around their late 20's - 30 at best (as of XY-SM period)
Yellow: 15 (as of Emerald)
Gold, Silver, Crystal: 16 (as of HGSS)
Ruby, Sapphire: 15 (as of ORAS)
Emerald: 14 (as of ORAS)
Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Blake, Whitley, X, Y: 12 (as of their respective sagas)
Black, White: 14 (as of BW) while White is 16 at B2W2. A good question now. Did Black stop aging inside the orb or not?
Sun, Moon: 11 (as of SM)

Last edited:

shoz999

I guess one thing that needs to be included is how many years has passed by, to get a better look at whose aged or not. So just to be sure, according to Bulbapedia's timeline page.

No one's sure what the original Pokedex holder's ages are as of Sun and Moon because since BW which is set after DP, no on is sure how many years has passed, only that BW2 takes place 2 years after BW, SM possibly takes place after BW because of hintings to Colress and I suppose the simple fact that it's adapting a main series game and SM takes place two months after the XY arc. However because of BW's lack of showing how much has time passed, I am going to assume that Red, Green and Blue are 22 years older or above as of SM and Yellow is 20 years older or above as well as other previous Pokedex holders getting 2 years or more to their age. Am I right or is there something wrong with my statement?

Don't know about you but I hope Kusaka has considered how insanely long-lasting series that is Pokemon. I guess he has because the remake chapters are prequel chapters but I kind of hope that for at least 10 installments later, Red and his gang do not reach the age of 30 yet. I wonder if there will ever come a time, maybe thirty or forty years later, when we will see Red as an old man lol.

Last edited:

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
Theory time

First of all, there's the gap between HGSS/ORAS and DP. Platinum has a cameo in ORAS where she is definitely younger probably around 9-10 years old and then there's Dia who saw Gyarados in the Lake of Rage eight years before DP so there's a gap of at least eight years which probably took place during the one year gap between Yellow and GSC. And then we have: Yellow -> (one year) GSC -> (two years) RS -> (a bit over half a year) FRLG -> (a bit over 10 months) Emerald -> (three years) HGSS/ORAS. This would make almost eight years of events and as mentioned above Platinum looks younger in ORAS so I guess a 2-3 year gap between HGSS/ORAS and DP seems reasonable with that theory.

Now, the main problem. Where is BW placed in the timeline? Looker has an assigned mission at the end of Platinum arc and then we have B2W2 prologue which confirms events from three years ago before BW yet at the same time doesn't confirm that the Seven Sages' activity during that period is related with Looker's mission. If it was confirmed, then BW would take place three years after Platinum. Here, we can only assume that the two cases are happening at the same time. B2W2 then is confirmed to be two years later after BW.

And the last one. When does XY takes place? I guess that's something we will learn after B2W2's ending whenever that happens. In ORAS, we know that Green is in Kalos and then in XY, he mentions he has been there before so it's unlikely to take place in the same period plus Colress is mentioned in SM.

So, according to all the above I guess Red, Blue and Green would be at least 7-8 years older if we also assume that XY actually takes place only months after B2W2 in a similar way like the games otherwise they would be a few more years older.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
No one's sure what the original Pokedex holder's ages are as of Sun and Moon because since BW which is set after DP, no on is sure how many years has passed, only that BW2 takes place 2 years after BW, SM possibly takes place after BW because of hintings to Colress and I suppose the simple fact that it's adapting a main series game and SM takes place two months after the XY arc. However because of BW's lack of showing how much has time passed, I am going to assume that Red, Green and Blue are 22 years older or above as of SM and Yellow is 20 years older or above as well as other previous Pokedex holders getting 2 years or more to their age. Am I right or is there something wrong with my statement?

Nope.

According to Dia, he and Pearl started their comedy routine at the age of four. The comedians that inspired them specifically referenced Silver's Red Gyarados, which is again shown in the special Mt. Silver Training chapter, which takes place after the Mask of Ice's defeat. They're both twelve, so that puts DP at around three years after the events of HGSS/ORAS, if my math is correct.

The gap between Pt and BW is unspecified, but Looker was sent there specifically to investigate the Seven Sages. Team Plasma has been around for a total of five years as of B2W2 (meaning three in BW), but we don't know how long they've been active during the events of Pt. Either way, that puts the gap at three years at most.

However, it should be noted Caitlin is older in BW, and she's an E4 before Black even left Nuvema. Surely that would take some time, no? Also, I should note that BW started in Spring and ended in the beginning of Winter. Pt ended around October-November.

B2W2 is obvious, two year-gap.

B2W2 to XY is unknown. Colress was mentioned there as well, but that was in passing, so who knows if it took place after B2W2 or not. We know it takes place after Pt, though.

Etc, etc...

Don't know about you but I hope Kusaka has considered how insanely long-lasting series that is Pokemon. I guess he has because the remake chapters are prequel chapters but I kind of hope that for at least 10 installments later, Red and his gang do not reach the age of 30 yet. I wonder if there will ever come a time, maybe thirty or forty years later, when we will see Red as an old man lol.

I feel he has. Kusaka has made it a point to keep the Gen I-III Dex holders as distant from the Gen IV+ Dex holders as possible. Even today, only a single pre-Gen IV Dex holder has ever interacted with his Juniors. This way, we get series that are still connected through references and events, but are for the most part, standalone.

e9310103838

B2W2 to XY is unknown. Colress was mentioned there as well, but that was in passing, so who knows if it took place after B2W2 or not. We know it takes place after Pt, though.

Etc, etc...

This may be two years after B2W2, because the official mentioned this in the game guide book when introduced Grimsley.

And there is coincidence, Anabel was found ten years ago by International Police in the game. I think Kusaka may use this coincidence (If you add up the time difference by inference, this will be just ten years after ORAS.) :D

Last edited:

lolipiece

Staff member
This may be two years after B2W2, because the official mentioned this in the game guide book when introduced Grimsley.

And there is coincidence, Anabel was found ten years ago by International Police in the game. I think Kusaka may use this coincidence (If you add up the time difference by inference, this will be just ten years after ORAS.) :D

Gah. Then that would put the the original three Dex holders in their thirties...

That's weird.

shoz999

So what your saying is Anabel was found ten years ago by the International Police during the events of the ORAS games which could be used by Kusaka in the manga, making Red thirty years old? However, in an alternate scenario, he doesn't have to have Anabel found ten years ago and if he did, Anabel doesn't have to be found during the events of ORAS meaning Red doesn't have to be 30 in this scenario? For all we know, it could go back to theRuby and Sapphire arc or even the Diamond and Pearl since the Interpol here hides a lot of secrets. Not to mention that surprising connection Kusaka made of Maxie and Archie and the Distortion world. Or is there something that puts an end to this possibility?

lolipiece

Staff member
So what your saying is Anabel was found ten years ago by the International Police during the events of the ORAS games which could be used by Kusaka in the manga, making Red thirty years old? However, in an alternate scenario, he doesn't have to have Anabel found ten years ago and if he did, Anabel doesn't have to be found during the events of ORAS meaning Red doesn't have to be 30 in this scenario? For all we know, it could go back to theRuby and Sapphire arc or even the Diamond and Pearl since the Interpol here hides a lot of secrets.

No, he said that the ten year gap in the games would coincidentally match the supposed gap between ORAS and SM.

We don't even know if this Anabel is the original Anabel.

Not to mention that surprising connection Kusaka made of Maxie and Archie and the Distortion world. Or is there something that puts an end to this possibility?

What connection?

ShadowForce720

No, he said that the ten year gap in the games would coincidentally match the supposed gap between ORAS and SM.

We don't even know if this Anabel is the original Anabel.

What connection?

Basically I don't know if it was specifically mentioned by name but Archie and Maxie both mentioned where they were before the return to being alive again and the description of the place matches up with the Distortion World, basically after they died they somehow wound up in the Distortion World.

lolipiece

Staff member
Basically I don't know if it was specifically mentioned by name but Archie and Maxie both mentioned where they were before the return to being alive again and the description of the place matches up with the Distortion World, basically after they died they somehow wound up in the Distortion World.

It was the Distortion World, yes.

Also, the full circumstances as to what sent them there hasn't been fully revealed. We don't even know if they actually died or not.

Archie only stated he "won" against Maxie, Sapphire just assumed he killed him. It's vague enough that it could go either way without being a full-on retcon.

As for Archie, we could tell he was starting to fade away, but if you look closely at the panel where he disappears after talking to Emerald and Crystal, the bright flash of light? It's coming from the armor, not him. And the light only appears after he tries to tell them who gave him the armor. That's way too suspicious to be a coincidence.

And in case anyone has forgotten, Sird (the person who set up the duel and gave Archie the armor) is a member of Team Galactic. And they have a machine that can send people to the Distortion World.