• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are the things/moments in the anime that you think are overhated?

Krackochu

Objectively Iris is still given crap even tho she's just a better written misty.

Goh everything surrounding Goh and Goh 's ideas

Not much besides that is overhated.

Tracey well I guess not really lol.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
XY/Z episodes (in this forum)

Trillion

the "battle frontier" episode in this series. the title of the episode is definitely misleading. but the episode itself is actually really good

Bendicion

Water Master
Objectively Iris is still given crap even tho she's just a better written misty.
How TF is she a better written Misty? Iris has an annoying and unlikable personality, she doesn't work at all to earn the accomplishments she has gained over the series and all of the accomplishments she has achieved, aside from Axew mastering Dragon Rage, were practically handed to her. Plus, they didn't go out of their way to make Misty look like a gifted trainer when she was just about average like they've done with Iris.

From the very beginning Iris critsized Ash's abilities, not even knowing his skills or history as a trainer. And then she turns out to be no better by having a weak Axew that gets hurt by a weakened Bullet Seed and a disobedient Excadrill. Not only that, but all of Iris wins were handed to her through cheap battles and overpowered Pokemon. Overall, Misty is the one who is written better than Iris and is actually able to get valid wins without disobedient OP Pokemon so don't come up in here trying to say shes a better written Misty. Actually learn how to watch a show for Gods sake.

Bendicion

Water Master
The moment Axew learned Outrage out of nowhere started the Mary Sue-ish treatment for Iris. There is just no excuse for Axew learning moves like that and Giga Impact with no training or difficulty when it took so long for it to master a basic move like Dragon Rage. Dragonite certainly didn't help with that treatment though.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Having seen XY/XYZ twice myself, I don't think Ash gets surrounded by cheerleaders in the show but I doubt how the forums were acting around that time were helping matters.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Tobias. Certainly a more interesting and worthwhile opponent than the one the previous three episodes contained.

Cameron. The only bad thing he did was win against Ash, which is kind of Ash's fault for letting it happen.

JN, definitely. Yeah, it does have a lot of wasted potential, but it isn't boring from my point of view. Fillers aren't as good as SM's fillers (wasn't expecting them to be anyway considering how big of shoes those were to fill) but they're not at DP/XY filler level either (XY fillers are generally fine on the first watch but a second time through they're kind of a slog). My main problem with it is how much of Ash's team is Kanto shilling (Dragonite, Gengar) or pseudo-Kanto shilling (Sirfetch'd). Pikachu gets a free pass because he has to be there. Dracovish was an actual interesting choice they made for his team. Too bad they didn't give him that Falinks, too, instead of Sirfetch'd. A Hatterene would have also been an interesting choice.

As for Chloe...yeah, I don't know what they were thinking with her. Having someone be disinterested in Pokemon was a bold concept for a series that revolves around them. She so should've gotten that Ponyta and Rapidash. Shame she lost a lot of her snark when she got Eevee. Shame she got Eevee in the first place. Coulda given her Yamper outright but no. Had to go with another boring Kanto Pokemon.
We'll never agree on you know who but I agree with everything else here.

DatsRight

How TF is she a better written Misty? Iris has an annoying and unlikable personality, she doesn't work at all to earn the accomplishments she has gained over the series and all of the accomplishments she has achieved, aside from Axew mastering Dragon Rage, were practically handed to her. Plus, they didn't go out of their way to make Misty look like a gifted trainer when she was just about average like they've done with Iris.

From the very beginning Iris critsized Ash's abilities, not even knowing his skills or history as a trainer. And then she turns out to be no better by having a weak Axew that gets hurt by a weakened Bullet Seed and a disobedient Excadrill. Not only that, but all of Iris wins were handed to her through cheap battles and overpowered Pokemon. Overall, Misty is the one who is written better than Iris and is actually able to get valid wins without disobedient OP Pokemon so don't come up in here trying to say shes a better written Misty. Actually learn how to watch a show for Gods sake.
Really they're both hit and miss, but nearly every complaint you dealt Iris can also be given to Misty, just of a different variant.

Misty ALSO critcized Ash despite being just as incompetent as him at the start of the series, even with more experience. BOTH of them were designed to be hypocrites, just replace Iris' pomposity with Misty's aggression.

Misty also seldom won out of her competence until about the very end of Johto, you can not talk about disobidient OP Pokemon without taking about Psyduck, who interrupted just about EVERY BATTLE SHE HAD. She failed to train or work with any of her Pokemon's defects to be effecient through her command and relied on them disobeying her in a convinient way for most of the OS, just like Iris' Dragonite, only Iris at least got called out on it and tried to resolve the problem, while Misty tried once with Psyduck and Togepi and then gave up and sulked until SM's offscreen development, while Starmie and Horsie just got forgotten about completely.

Similar to Iris, Misty got plot armour and skipped over several important beats of character development. Johto barely focused on her and then randomly decided to make her competent in the last season. This felt little like something she worked for, especially due to the aforementioned ragequitting on most of her team.

The moment Axew learned Outrage out of nowhere started the Mary Sue-ish treatment for Iris. There is just no excuse for Axew learning moves like that and Giga Impact with no training or difficulty when it took so long for it to master a basic move like Dragon Rage. Dragonite certainly didn't help with that treatment though.
While Togepi knowing Metronome and Psyduck knowing Psychic is more grounded in terms of their skillset, they were still never learned or commanded through Misty's training, they always worked conviniently perfect, and never did any opponent manage to counter or deflect them, making them seem like an equal unstoppable plot device for her as Axew and Dragonite for Iris (who at least LOST sometimes). Misty fell upwards just as often as Iris did.

Last edited:

pokefandt

The Diamond and Pearl “filler” episodes between the 7th and 8th gym match.

I actually agree with this. It's not like stuff didn't happen in this stretch. The Lake Acuity Battle, The Team Galactic Ending, The Grand Festival, the evolution of Infernape and Torterra, Gible, etc etc.

Though I do agree a few episodes could have been shaved off (or some episodes could have happened earlier in the series, etc).

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Lucario getting any sort of focus in JN because apparently thats a sin
Project Mew, Goh's character/backstory and his arcs with Cinderace and Inteleon

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I'm only around the episode where Fletchling evolves so I won't say my opinion is absolute yet but he seems fine. I wouldn't say he's my favorite and I do miss his sass but I don't feel he's been surrounded by cheerleaders. We'll see though.
After my XY rewatch I stand by the opinion that most criticisms about XY(Z) Ash are overblown. The only one I do agree with entirely is it was dumb for him to jump into a volcano to save Talonflame instead of using its Pokéball.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I still think Lillie and Kiawe should have been the only ones to enter though tbh
I'd argue it makes sense for Lana to be included as well, since we did see her actually training her Pokemon at least once outside of school, way back at the beginning. And she had that whole "comically invincible" thing going for her.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Im happy every Alola companion participated even if not all were strong
Mallow's battle with Lana and perfecting her Grassium Z was satisfying to watch, Lana deserved to be there since she is the only one aside from Kiawe and Ash who actually completed a trial, and Guzma vs Lana was so damn fun to watch
Sophocles arc of training for the league with Vikavolt was entertaining to watch and did wonders for his character, his battle with Kiawe was a highlight, i REALLY love how bugium Z was used in that battle
Lillie vs Gladion was a nice delivery on an earlier promise and showed Lillie's smarts even if her strengths arent there yet
Kiawe is self explanatory

Having all the Alolan companions did wonders for their story arcs and the overall story of the league, so Im glad they went with it instead of the battle bros way of meming the lineup and wishing random strong trainers were there just because (even though we did have stronger opponents the further we went in the league)

DatsRight

I'd argue it makes sense for Lana to be included as well, since we did see her actually training her Pokemon at least once outside of school, way back at the beginning. And she had that whole "comically invincible" thing going for her.
There was also the interesting twist of having the two 'comically invincible' characters end up jobbers to Guzma, really setting the stakes that things were SERIOUS now and Ash was going up against an utter beast.

Really I get WHY people don't like the Alola League as the big culmination but I enjoyed it. I actually think these sorts of arcs work better when more than one character has some big involvement in them. It's why I think Iris being in the Masters 8 was a good call too.

If previous leagues had at least tried playing around with the formula too, I think the Alola league would be easier to swallow.

Also, really I think the fact the Alola League is more a more modest competition mostly consisting of Ash's friends rather than a flashy main event with loads of elites actually FITS being the end of that arc. It shows Ash isn't all about prestige and being a big name anymore and just savours the world around him.