• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are the things/moments in the anime that you think are overhated?

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
Journeys as a whole. I do definitely agree that the execution is a bit lackluster and amorphous, but the same can be said for many series, and really I think it's had several good episodes and has really culminated a lot of world and character building the show has had throughout all these years. I think if it hadn't came after XY and SM, which had more spectacle, it would be treated as fairly impressive, if still somewhat flawed.
It's just very underwhelming and unplanned. It's reception would not have been particularly better even if it was preceded by BW (the only other series that had major change in plans due to a disaster). Lack of spectacle is not nearly the biggest flaw of JN.

DatsRight

It's just very underwhelming and unplanned. It's reception would not have been particularly better even if it was preceded by BW (the only other series that had major change in plans due to a disaster). Lack of spectacle is not nearly the biggest flaw of JN.
Okay not just spectacle, but what I mean is that XY and SM tended to set the bar a LOT higher. Most battles in JN get compared to those of XY, while JN's storytelling came right after SM which is probably the one series that did a less formulaic approach successfully and handled Ash making genuine progression in a more organic way.

It sucks that JN did not take as many notes from those series definitely, but I think that it's far from the low point of the show, especially given how stagnant it was for most of its run beforehand. Some of the continuity growth has been surprisingly good and given fan favourites a long awaited culmination, something unthinkable in a lot of the show beforehand. That's not to say JN is one of the best, it is indeed pretty slapdash, but it has its own merits.

Last edited:

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
Journeys feels like one of those essays in high school where the deadline is in 2 hours and you start writing without having a plan on what to do and making things up as you continue.

They probably had good intentions, wanting to shake things up, but Ash’s entire goal of battling Leon seems like them stalling for time, having a “we’ll worry about the details later” kind of goal. The entire PWC continued either awfully slow or just off-screen up until the last year of the series, where they suddenly had to press the turbo button.

In a normal series, Ash has to obtain 8 badges and has around 10 gym battles. It’s clear that the PWC battles are a substitute for gym battles. Volkner, Marnea, Bea, Drasna, Raihan all happened in the last year. That is mind boggling! Imagine any other series being structured like that.

Then there is Go, who was once again created with the right intentions but his goal was ultimately so dull to execute that they had to come up with PM midway through the series.

And the less said about Chloe the better.

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
Okay not just spectacle, but what I mean is that XY and SM tended to set the bar a LOT higher. Most battles in JN get compared to those of XY, while JN's storytelling came right after SM which is probably the one series that did a less formulaic approach successfully and handled Ash making genuine progression in a more organic way.

It sucks that JN did not take as many notes from those series definitely, but I think that it's far from the low point of the show, especially given how stagnant it was for most of its run beforehand. Some of the continuity growth has been surprisingly good and given fan favourites a long awaited culmination, something unthinkable in a lot of the show beforehand. That's not to say JN is one of the best, it is indeed pretty slapdash, but it has its own merits.
I meant to say that JN has regressed on things not limited to battles which previous series did fairly. Take Ash's team in SM and compare it to JN. Disregarding battles, SM pokemons had better personality and interactions compared to JN mons. You could make every battle look like Ash vs Kukui but it woudn't fix Ash and Goh's erratic progression in their respective goals, Chloe's story being a nothingburger or whatnot.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Regardless about how JN's battles are going. It get's attacked for being "cheap fan service" but this series actually bothers giving characters returns that concludes their stories and they're all pretty good.

• Lillie once again became the only main character to achieve her goals and the Aethers got a great conclusion and found Mohn
  • Paul got enough prestige to become a Gym Leader and start training
  • Iris became a famous Champ and beat Alder and went kept up with a strong opponent in the PWC
  • Serena is known across Kalos and Hoenn as an idol and even started a duo. Even making people smile and inspiring them like Aria
  • Brock is getting even further with his goal and got a Blissley
  • Gary is catching legendaries and improving his skills as a researcher within in Project Mew
You would almost think the series was concluding will all of this but instead they actually cared about wrapping up and tiling loose ends with these characters goals and ambitions.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Regardless about how JN's battles are going. It get's attacked for being "cheap fan service" but this series actually bothers giving characters returns that concludes their stories and they're all pretty good.

• Lillie once again became the only main character to achieve her goals and the Aethers got a great conclusion and found Mohn
  • Paul got enough prestige to become a Gym Leader and start training
  • Iris became a famous Champ and beat Alder and went kept up with a strong opponent in the PWC
  • Serena is known across Kalos and Hoenn as an idol and even started a duo. Even making people smile and inspiring them like Aria
  • Brock is getting even further with his goal and got a Blissley
  • Gary is catching legendaries and improving his skills as a researcher within in Project Mew
You would almost think the series was concluding will all of this but instead they actually cared about wrapping up and tiling loose ends with these characters goals and ambitions.
Id honestly say pretty much every character is wrapped up aside from May and Dawn winning a grand festival, Cilan becoming a S rank Connosieur and Max shown to have caught Ralts.

Sophs is becoming a great astronaut
Clemont is a great inventor and Gym leader
Bonnie is pretty wrapped up nicely too for as she is
Serena had moved past wanting to be Kalos Queen so that's redundant, and is making her dream of making others smile through her performances come true
Mallow has opened a famous restaurant with acclaim
Kiawe is one of Alola's strongest and set to succeed Olivia as Kahuna
Lana made the the largest bubble she can with Primarina's Z move and has become well acquainted and one of the Seafolk
Misty is a strong Water type master
Iris is a strong Dragon type master even if she doesnt consider herself one
Brock has become a great doctor
Tracey is living his life
Chloe is set to find her path and Goh is set to resolve his arc with Mew in JN

Pretty much wrapped up every companion storyline and set a clear path for them achieving their dream and continuing their work, Heck even Cilan and Max dont need to do what I mentioned to feel rounded off and complete, only May and Dawn need to win a Grand Festival already

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Oh yea, that was a thing. Did she just give up on that? First main character switching her goals? She seems happy doing this and at least this competition has actual judges it seems so
That's how I view her rejection of Palermo's offer in the end coupled with her focus episode post TF where she is determined and fueled by the smiles she can give to the people after her show to lighten people's moods
It feels like a natural expansion and progress of her initial goal, looking past the idea of just becoming a Kalos Queen and seeing what it represents: The potential to be a performer with one's pokemon to bring smiles to everyone around her

Its why Contest lives and becoming a famous Idol fits so well with the progression, she doesnt need to be Kalos Queen anymore to fulfill her goal, her exploits in Hoenn are accomplishing that

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
Iris and Cilan. I've heard my fair share of how much people think these two suck the life out of the show but I don't think they're that bad, honestly.

Actually, you can say this about Best Wishes in general. I've watched the whole season 3 separate times and it's not that bad. I'll keep saying this over and over again, but I think the season has the best filler episodes in the entire series.

Sham

The Guardian of War
It really makes you wonder why haven’t any BW references happen. The quickest thought would be the “huge” backlash but Unova was visited relatively early and they brought back Iris (+ Gary) as rivals so not sure why there are lack of refrences. Is Cilan ever coming back sigh

diesglamouris

Iris.

I really enjoyed her relationship with Satoshi. Yeah, there were the arguments and the "kodomo ne/little kid" thing, but being both portrayed with childish attitudes having children arguments, it wasn't that a serious issue. They were quite alike (both liking food, battles and adventures), so eventually ended up getting along all the travel.

Who could have said back in those days that these arguing kids would be top champions?

DatsRight

Iris.

I really enjoyed her relationship with Satoshi. Yeah, there were the arguments and the "kodomo ne/little kid" thing, but being both portrayed with childish attitudes having children arguments, it wasn't that a serious issue. They were quite alike (both liking food, battles and adventures), so eventually ended up getting along all the travel.

Who could have said back in those days that these arguing kids would be top champions?
I feel like the opinion of Iris has cooled down since JN.

I admit the whole brattiness/pretentiousness of Iris being exceptionally unpopular orignally kinda boggles me since characters like Misty and Bonnie have similar attributes but with arguably less development and hubris breaking to balance out their flaws. I get it being divisive, but at least Iris was forced to DEAL WITH being a hypocritical little egotist, which I think makes it more entertaining and sympathetic a characteristic.

Her getting Dragonite was similar for me. Sure it was a high tier Pokemon that she didn't really work for, but that was the WHOLE POINT and her arc with Dragonite revolved around the repurcussions of having a potentially dangerous Pokemon she didn't properly tame.

Plus really, I'm fine with non-Ash characters getting special Pokemon. Shaymin and Suicune are similar for me. Just don't see the big deal.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I feel like the opinion of Iris has cooled down since JN.
Eh
I admit the whole brattiness/pretentiousness of Iris being exceptionally unpopular orignally kinda boggles me since characters like Misty
Questions
Bonnie have similar attributes but with arguably less development and hubris breaking to balance out their flaws.
I’m assuming it’s because people believe Bonnie is a better trade off from Max and therefor they’re willing to defend her. This conversation aside, Bonnie was annoying and that’s still not a valid excuse of her being younger.

Her getting Dragonite was similar for me. Sure it was a high tier Pokemon that she didn't really work for, but that was the WHOLE POINT and her arc with Dragonite revolved around the repurcussions of having a potentially dangerous Pokemon she didn't properly tame.
This literally got deflated after the Junior Cop. The power that she “earned” was jobbing. It was great in terms of understanding Dragons and taming but actually useful in battle? No.
Plus really, I'm fine with non-Ash characters getting special Pokemon. Shaymin and Suicune are similar for me.
Most likely because feel like if he wasn’t allowed these certain Pokémon then why should other characters on their first “try”. That being said these characters aren’t even using them in battle… did Mallow..? Anyways, yeah they aren’t using them so it doesn’t matter

DatsRight

This literally got deflated after the Junior Cop. The power that she “earned” was jobbing. It was great in terms of understanding Dragons and taming but actually useful in battle? No.

Most likely because feel like if he wasn’t allowed these certain Pokémon then why should other characters on their first “try”. That being said these characters aren’t even using them in battle… did Mallow..? Anyways, yeah they aren’t using them so it doesn’t matter
Dragonite not getting any wins under its belt was a genuine sore spot but it felt like the bigger contention with fans was Iris getting it 'undeserved' in the first place.

I just kinda accept that a lot of limits for protagonists to reach are widened as the show goes on. Reminder that Misty getting Togepi was treated as a super rare Pokemon but Dawn getting Togekiss two series after was given little fanfare at all.

Captures are a more acceptable one for me since really Ash never TRIED to catch a mythical/legendary before Meltan. A lot of captures are just chance moments. It's not quite in the same regard as a new trainer winning a league on their first turn.

And Mallow battled with Shaymin once, during the preliminary round of the league. It was almost entirely offscreen however.

MetaMantis

Offline until Ash vs Leon
Reminder that Misty getting Togepi was treated as a super rare Pokemon but Dawn getting Togekiss two series after was given little fanfare at all.
Well at the time of Misty getting Togepi, we were still in gen 1, and Togepi is a gen 2 Pokémon. However, Togekiss is gen 4.