• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are things you would of rectified in each series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
OS-N/A

AG- I would had more cameos from people native to Kanto. Kanto basically felt like an extension of Hoenn and we barely got any references to OS.

DP- Make Kenny more menacing towards Dawn and overall a bigger rival towards her as well as Ursula, have Ash keep Aipom, give Brock more battles especially using Happiny, make the GF an episode longer and flesh out the Jessie and Dawn battles

BW- Make Ash's reset less glaring, remove the Roxie and Elesa battle, have Cilan's goal become more fleshed out, air the two TR vs TP episodes as specials, have Dawn interact with TR

XY-JN=TBA will edit this entire post later.

Isn't this way too similar to the "If you were in charge of the anime" thread?
I Agree. that would be stupid if I make something like this.

anyways:

OS - N/A
AG - I would add Ash's new Rival and Team Rocket gets their own new Pokemon
D/P - It didn't need fixing for now
BW - Yes, that series, That was terrible series but... I would make Ash's Reset Competent and Team Rocket could be back to comedy relief and serious.
X/Y - It didn't need fixing again
SM - That was hard to say but It needs some fixing: Make it an adventure series rather than that bloody Pokemon school and Lillie needs fixing to make it obvious like game counterpart (I never played SM Games so)
JN - ... Make it fully an Galar series and remove Goh and Chloe from that series too.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
OS: Have Ash's loss in indigo league be proper, no TR shenanigans or squirtle being disqualified coz it's sleeping. Also have a proper battle with Erika.
AG: Improve contests appeal rounds which sucked in AG, make Mays contest wins be better and not have majority of her wins come against CoTDs. Have Ash defeat Morrison in a proper battle and make him lose properly, not to that dumb meowth in boots thingie.
DP: Won't have Dawn release Ambipom and instead not get Togekiss. Would have a bit focus on the sinnoh BF, even if it isn't like AG. Would have had a proper character rather than Tobias. Give Torterra a proper time to shine and more development to Gible
BW: Make Ash's second battle against Trip or battle against Cress make sense and not have Pikachu be so weak. Give Iris a more proper pacing and development of her dragon mons. Rewrite Ash Vs Elesa and Ash Vs Cameron ENTIRELY. Air the TP episodes and have a semi BW arc before moving to episode N. Cut out Decolore Islands. Have Cilan aim to rank up in Conisseur levels to S rank. Not have Trip lose in the first freaking unova round. Have Axew evolve into Haxorus in that series itself, have Iris actuallly defeat Claire with her obedient dragonite.
XY: Replace showcases with contests (or atleast make showcases more interesting). Have Serena not having much of her development tied to her relationship with Ash. Have her decide to tutor under Palermo after her journey with ash to become a Kalos Queen. (The kiss can happen when Ash is leaving for Kanto). Make a better mega evolution special 4 to tie XYZ and the mega evolution specials. Make Ash have more interesting dynamics and personality. Give Goodra proper focus in its return and scrap Noivern in favour of something like phantump. Rewrite Kalos league with it not being rushed, us seeing the battle against the altaria guy and Astrid, and Sawyer and Alain. Have ash still lose but in a proper way.
SM: Evolve Sandy and give it and shaymin more focus. Holding out on vulpix since it may evolve yet. Rewrite that guzzlord episode. Replace Ash Vs Faba with Ash Vs Kahili (have James defeat Faba in the battle royale), Ash Vs Hau doesn't have that fakeout, Jessie Vs James is actually a proper battle. We see Kukui's 6th Mon chilling later on. A proper kiawe Ash battle. Give Lana the dewpider. Have poipole do more battling and evolve onscreen. Have a trial for Hapus grand trial and atleast a 2v2 where other mons can shine in addition to that soak strat

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I don’t really remember or care much about stuff from OS, so I’ll only be listing things from AG-onward.

AG: Write the Contests better and show us more of May actually training. Take a few of the very bad Gym Battles and make them....not bad. Rectify Torkoal’s jobber status; give Ash interesting rivals with proper screentime. Not make him lose to Puss in Boots. Many things, I’ll be honest.
DP: Also rectify Torterra’s jobber status. Give more focus to Togekiss and have Dawn’s acquisition of it come earlier. Come up with a better reason for Ambipom to leave than ping-pong. Give Brock something. New characters he can bond with, more captures, something.
BW: As much as I find BW enjoyable, to find it well-written you need to overhaul the whole thing. Make Ash competent, give Iris some more focus, handle his team better, copy-paste the BW game plot and change nothing, don’t introduce random rivals who add nothing to the series and develop the ones already there. That’s a lot.
XY: Make Serena do Sky Battles or the Battle Chateau or even some kind of competitive goal based off of Pokévision. Give Serena a full team and have Pancham & Braixen evolve. The crush isn’t a thing or at the very least it’s not used as bait. Keep her early personality as well as her nicer demeanor. Tone down the gender roles and rigidness. The rivals are not an utter bore. Clemont gets to do more stuff after the Gym Battle. Ash has personality and reacts to things and characters with more variety. That whole Sawyer and Alain rivalry subplot with Greninja was odd to me. I had high expectations for what it’d mean for Ash as well as the other two but in the end it felt a bit...aimless? Idk I just remember not being impressed with the writing (especially after how hyped Alain and Ash’s meeting was). Maybe my own fault though. About Greninja, just give Ash a Mega; Ash-Greninja was so strange. And of course the League, burn it down and write a completely new one.
SM: Tone the silliness down. It was overdone at times and was quite often substituted in place for good writing. I liked Naganadel but replace Melmetal with Passimian or Kommo-o or something else. Have Lillie do stuff and progress actively. Have Mallow and Lana also do stuff and feel like actual characters with actual development. Restructure the entire League. Introduce Skull earlier and just, again, stick to the SM plot. Do not try to redeem or soften Lusamine. Have the school feel and function like an actual school. Let a lot of the more minor subplots develop naturally. Do something -anything!- with the TR and Nanu setup. And while I appreciate the SM art style and what it did for the animation, I’ll be honest. The XY style was the most aesthetically pleasing the show has ever looked, from battles to characters to backgrounds. Doing away with it was a generally big misstep to me.
Journeys: If I was in charge the saga wouldn’t exist. But nevertheless, have Go progress naturally and realistically; both his character and his goal. Actively include Koharu in more episodes and have her tag along much more frequently. Give everyone on Ash’s team proper screentime. Better battle animation and fight choreography. Give plot developments and character reintroductions TIME TO BREATHE with multiple episodes. Bring back the direction of previous series’ and have episodes connect. TR desperately needs more screentime and a capture. No more 2v2’s or 1v1’s please. Slow down the rate at which Ash is climbing the PWC. Have Leon be more relevant; I don’t think the emotional appeal will be there when Ash battles him at this rate. Have Go struggle more with battles and doing things out of his comfort zone. A boatload of revisions for this one.

XY: have ash win the Kalos league
DP: Have Torterra win a battle

DatsRight

OS - Have some sort of resolution with the GS ball, give something ongoing to Brock and Misty in the Johto series, maybe have at least some of Shudo's original plans in the Kanto series so it comes off less gratuitously mean spirited (eg. gym leaders getting fired if they lose too often to give better reasoning to their jerkish behaviour). At the very least less cases both Ash AND Misty/COTD act like jerks and ONLY Ash is punished for it.

AG - Have more TR battles like 'Do I Hear A Ralts?'. Give side antagonists like Harley and the Ekans/Koffing poacher more satisfying comeuppances (it felt like they struggled to punish any bad guy they couldn't blast off like Team Rocket in this series).

XY - Either let TR get more Pokemon and keep their competent streak or stop using them as much later on and let the protagonists get more stories to themselves. We'd evolved past the point of needing generic TR interruptions every single story. Either let Serena finish battles or just let her train her Pokemon in some other more developed way. Find something ongoing for Clemont in the Kalos Quest/early XYZ era. Reel in or punish Bonnie at least a few odd times so she isn't insufferable. Make Ash a bit more emotive around his companions. Resolution for Malamar plot.

SM - Let the girls do more comedy and get more episodes like the boys. Bring in Sandy and Shaymin earlier and do something with them, maybe also let Lillie get a secondary or at least train Snowy more. Let characters like Lana and Poipole do at least a couple trainer battles before the league. Have TR do more schemes with their Z Rings. Have something come up regarding Giovanni and Nanu, even if it isn't Rainbow Rocket outright. Give Lillie's backstory a less rushed climax. Give Kiawe the shrink ray episode (I feel like that would have been hilarious). Wobbuffet vs Lycanroc Counter battle.

Last edited:
This thread is pretty unnecessary since there is already a pinned post for this kind of stuff, but anyway...

@Epicocity wrote a post on XY/XYZ that I mostly agree with: http://epicocityrealities.blogspot.com/2017/11/how-pokemon-xy-could-have-been-better.html. Hits basically all the right notes besides the league since we have always had pretty fundamental differences on the execution of that.

I would have retooled the league in XY/XYZ a lot more/differently along with reworking and further developing Ash and Alain's rivalry as well. I'm mostly not a fan of how the league was handled narratively in XY/XYZ at all besides the opening episode and the Ash/Sawyer rivalry conclusion.

My problems with the league in XY/XYZ and how I would have improved on it can be seen here in much more detail: https://forums.serebii.net/threads/things-you-are-mad-at-that-the-anime-didn’t-do-take-advantage-of.675667/page-56#post-19104479

Edit: This thread is also basically the same one as the " things you are mad at that the anime didn't take advantage of " thread lmao

Last edited:

Epicocity

This thread is pretty unnecessary since there is already a pinned post for this kind of stuff, but anyway...

@Epicocity wrote a post on XY/XYZ that I mostly agree with: http://epicocityrealities.blogspot.com/2017/11/how-pokemon-xy-could-have-been-better.html. Hits basically all the right notes besides the league since we have always had pretty fundamental differences on the execution of that.

I would have retooled the league in XY/XYZ a lot more/differently along with reworking and further developing Ash and Alain's rivalry as well. I'm mostly not a fan of how the league was handled narratively in XY/XYZ at all besides the opening episode and the Ash/Sawyer rivalry conclusion.

My problems with the league in XY/XYZ and how I would have improved on it can be seen here in much more detail: https://forums.serebii.net/threads/things-you-are-mad-at-that-the-anime-didn’t-do-take-advantage-of.675667/page-56#post-19104479

Edit: This thread is also basically the same one as the " things you are mad at that the anime didn't take advantage of " thread lmao
I think our fundamental difference comes from the fact I don't view Alain as a rival. I view him as a deuteragonist who sees Ash as a Worthy Opponent. So a League centralized on the two of them and not being entirely from Ash's perspective, but rather showcasing Alain's increasingly toxic mindset in contrast to Ash's healthier one, was just fine as it was from a writing perspective.

EDIT: Looking at your linked post, there's also the fact you seem to see the Furfrou episode like most people do, a promise of Ash upholding dreams and winning, when the actual writing purpose of it was to show Ash giving time to a nobody while Alain couldn't even acknowledge much of the opponent who actually made it to the League. Hence what I mentioned above.

I think our fundamental difference comes from the fact I don't view Alain as a rival. I view him as a deuteragonist who sees Ash as a Worthy Opponent. So a League centralized on the two of them and not being entirely from Ash's perspective, but rather showcasing Alain's increasingly toxic mindset in contrast to Ash's healthier one, was just fine as it was from a writing perspective.
I don't disagree with the idea that one can view Alain as a deuteragonist, what I do disagree with is the notion it's something that is mutually exclusive with viewing Alain as a rival.

Adding on to that, personally, I don't think the league really centralized on the two of them in the way you characterize it as doing. I wish it did, but the execution was just lacking for me.
EDIT: Looking at your linked post, there's also the fact you seem to see the Furfrou episode like most people do, a promise of Ash upholding dreams and winning, when the actual writing purpose of it was to show Ash giving time to a nobody while Alain couldn't even acknowledge much of the opponent who actually made it to the League. Hence what I mentioned above.
Not sure I see the Furfrou episode the way most people do since that episode is generally not viewed in a positive light. Even when the episode aired, I recall only one other person coming away with the same conclusion as I did.

I don't think there's much evidence for the idea that the writing intent of the battle is what you mentioned. It is something that is shown in the episode in general, but the overwhelming bulk of the thematic underpinning of the battle between the Furfrou and Ash hinged on what I described in my linked post, at least in my perception. Given that Ash ended of the battle with the Furfrou trainer promising to honor those feelings and dreams of the plenty of people who weren't able to accomplish their own dreams of winning gym battles and participating in the league, I think the take away that the episode was one of Ash promising to uphold dreams and winning is what the purpose was, albeit much more complex than just simply that as I described in my linked post.

I've read your post on why you thought XYZ 32 had brilliant writing, but my reasoning for why I thought it had brilliant writing is pretty different from yours. I think what you described in that post is definitely there and is one of the reasons why it's a great episode, I just don't think that the dichotomy between how Ash treated the people around him versus how Alain treated the people around him is the most important conclusion the episode asked the viewer to ponder. Or at least, it isn't why I felt the episode was primarily great. It does differentiate between the two as foils in the episode and it's one of the important narratives in the episode, but I don't think the battle between the Furfrou trainer is necessarily emblematic/primary showcase of that foil.

Last edited:

DatsRight

I think the general problem is more how empty XY kinda feels without that victory. You get what they were going for with the loss in the end, that Ash was the moral victor, but after so much build up it kinda feels like swindling the fans. Ironically SM, the series Ash DID win, could have gotten away with a loss far more because a lot of the series isn't just designed as hype bait to it, they tried plenty other things to keep the series fresh, while in XY, it often feels like dynamics, personalities and stories besides the league arc are second priority at best. If we had more satisfying stories, chemistries and development outside of it, I think it would be far easier to appreciate the 'twist' at the end, or at the very least if you DIDN'T, there were more things to enjoy about the series in the end.

Say a lower amount of generic COTD/TR plotlines, more characterisation for Ash in other regards, and stuff like the Malamar and showcase plots getting more equal treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.