• We're currently experiencing a minor issue with our email system preventing emails for new registrations and verifications going out. We're currently working to fix this
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are y’all thoughts on looting?

Vernikova

Champion
It should be discouraged. While there are big retail stores that are being looted that won't miss anything, there are much smaller stores that won't be able to recover as easily. Even worse is that I view these looters and rioters as separate from the actual protesters themselves, so I think the police should focus their efforts towards curbing the looters than the peaceful protesters. In the eyes of many, this may just give them a reason to try and resist the reforms that the protesters are trying to push in various locales.

Sham

Best Team
Overreaction. Had it been a white man or woman killed by police for little to no reason it wouldn't have blown up this way. It's black people's persecution complex that's at fault, and police officers are actually no more likely to shoot black suspects if they're white compared to officers of color.

Now, I'm not saying the men involved in Floyd's death were in the right. Of course not. But white women have gotten shot without mercy, without reason. All they receive is a wake, some "she didn't deserve this" and that's it. White men have gotten unjustly killed by police. In fact, twice as many white people die at the hands of police every year compared to blacks even though blacks are arrested for 55% of violent offenses and nearly 7x as many black men are in jail and prison compared to white males (proportionate to their population). This never gets talked about. I just hate the message and hypocrisy that BLM gets across to people. When Raheem the black male gets killed by Rahul, there's hardly any outrage, even in the same neighborhood. Apparently it's cool to be outraged about a killing that happens across the country, even if it's a justified one like Michael Brown's, but it's okay to overlook a black on black killing that happens across the street. BLM is toxic.
Black on black crime is myth. It doesn’t exist. Races/ethnicities typically live in close proximity to each other ie “black neighborhoods” “white neighborhoods” or “hispanic neighborhoods”. People who live close to each other are most likely to commit crimes against each other. If black on black crime is a thing so is asian on asian crime and white on white crime. You don’t make any sense and I’m not gonna talk about the rest of this post because 100% trolling but just had to correct the most ignorant part of it

KingstonUponHulbury

Overreaction. Had it been a white man or woman killed by police for little to no reason it wouldn't have blown up this way. It's black people's persecution complex that's at fault, and police officers are actually no more likely to shoot black suspects if they're white compared to officers of color.
I thought it was at least neat that you provided a source, but I actually happened to read it.

minority suspects are disproportionately killed by police
So... 'persecution complex' away.

bobjr

EVERYONE WANTS THE BIG CHAIR MEG
Staff member
If the argument is that black people are overreacting to a black person unjustly killed by police and that no one does it when it’s a white person, you’re just providing the argument that white people should stand up for the injustice, but they don’t for whatever reason.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
As much as I agree with the protesters, the thing that concerns me is, what happens if an innocent person is killed or worse yet, kids get caught in the middle of it and end up hurt or dead? What do you think will happen?

While I agree with the message, and I do agree that there is a lot of racial injustice in the US and in the whole world, if the protests become too violent and people start getting killed, it will not only give the other side a way to validate their argument, but in the worst case scenario, it could provoke a military response. There are politicians (and not just Trump as people would be led to believe) that are trying to find an excuse to do this right now.

bobjr

Staff member
The inverse of that is innocent people being killed without any direct action in response, with people treating that as an acceptable cost.

The U.S. has a history of disproportionate military and police response at home and abroad. If someone in power wants to use it they will, it’s just more and more we have the means to see how bad that actually is, and inspire more to take action.

jaden767

Amphetamine
If black on black crime is a thing so is asian on asian crime and white on white crime.
Well of course that exists why would anyone try to deny that these things really do happen? I don't think it's fair to discredit the idea that black on black crime happens just because it goes against the idea that white police officers target black people. Both happen.

KingstonUponHulbury

Well of course that exists why would anyone try to deny that these things really do happen? I don't think it's fair to discredit the idea that black on black crime happens just because it goes against the idea that white police officers target black people. Both happen.
I think the point is that there's literally nothing significant or surprising about the rate of black-on-black crime, because ALL ethnic groups are far more likely to commit crimes against members of the same group. Anyone making a point of the rate at which black people commit crimes against other black people at best doesn't understand the stats.

SBaby

Dungeon Master

bobjr

Staff member
White Nationalist and groups, including the police themselves are shooting and driving into protest groups and police aren’t charging them, which only serves to further justify why the protests are needed.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
You know what they say. "When the looting starts, the tooting starts." *fart*

Imagine if Trump said that during one of his speeches and immediately poops himself to death.

Last edited:

Ignition

Keep thriving
I feel as though the lootings were started to make the protesters seem like they're "pushing an agenda" even though most are fighting for the right to have basic human rights. I personally wouldn't do it but I felt as though the initial looting at Target was understandable to a degree. Everything else was excessive.

What I don't get is how people use this as a way to make BLM and their motives invalid. There are so many things wrong with the responses to the lootings like how there's footage of cops planning out destruction to make it seem like the protesters are constantly destroying property. There's also the fact that people use this to stereotype BLM and all their protesting even though there's much more evidence of peaceful protesting. Wish people would put this much effort into stopping police brutality

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Looting will just undermine the cause of a political protest. Protests have to be inconveniunt to established authority, but if they don't do so in a way that seems selfless and restrained, the media can just turn on them or distract from the issues.

The vast majority protesters really have shown very admirable restraint. Marching with clear purposes and very specific, reasonable demands. While police are acting so shamefully, covering their badges, using brutality, treating peaceful protestors as criminals. Its a shame that the unions are so aggressively resisting change.

Too many highly influential officers and politicians would rather give the police more violence and fewer consequences, rather than funding social care that would take the pressure off policing. Regardless of how many jobs police have to do that are not helped in the slightest by the inherent threat of violence that police carry. They're totally resistant to any measures that would make a police officer less likely to reach for their guns, while showing contempt for social workers who do constantly do a professional, productive job of helping desperate people.