• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are y’all thoughts on looting?

agent9149

I don't support looting but I'm not going to go out of my way to wag my fingers at the looters. I think there's something absolutely worst and evil that most avenues are focused on the looting and not the fact that police officers are using rubber bullet guns illegally and have caused people to lose eyes, or police officers ramming crowds of people with their cars, or police officers trying to break into homes that the owners provided shelter to protesters. Or the police officers lying to the media about stolen material, like with the rolex store, where they said merchandise was stolen and the store doesn't hold any merchandise.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
I think looting is bad, but police need to stop killing black people for no reason.
Donald Trump is in favor of peaceful protests
No he's not. He hates all protesters who protest things he likes.

KingstonUponHulbury

You don't know or care who the US President is and don't think his words and actions have any impact on the national crisis in either policy or symbolic terms?

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
I'm strictly referring to his statements about these current events. I don't know that man and quite frankly I don't care what he really thinks about this entire situation since it evidently doesn't matter and won't stop what's happening.
Do you not know who Donald Trump is?

Wait, people actually think looting is part of a normal protest?
Pretty sure the looters don't give squat about why there are protests, they're just there to loot and take advantage of it.

It's like when there's demonstrations by the labor unions here in the capital and afterwards there are groups vandalizing property and fighting. Those aren't part of any union nor there to protest, they're just there cause they wanna fight and smash some stuff.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Personally, I would like to ask what is okay to loot and what is not. Are pharmacies, local business, homes, schools, universities, places of worship, and hospitals okay to loot?

As for my actual feels on looting, I'm not for it. I mostly see opportunists taking expensive items and then burning down the shoe store or pharmacy.

If you want to go picket police stations, organize boycotts, and disrupt businesses other ways, go ahead. Looting and burning the stores, especially in a place where we have no burn notices in effect due to the dryness, is frankly what I stand against.

That I do care about. I'm not as political as I would like but I do try my best to keep up with his antics.

Honestly I'll just refer to my original statement "looting is apart of protesting". I'm not defending it but being up in arms about companies who are insured and will get those items back takes away from the people who won't get their lives back. It's focusing on the wrong thing. Despite the fact I created the thread I wanted to see how much opinionated people were on the topic and I really don't think it should be the grand focus of what's going on. I can honestly say I don't care about looting.

Oh you're right that it shouldn't be the main focus. The main focus should still be the fact that someone got murdered by the very same police that should protect the common people solely based on the color of skin he happened to have.

That said, the fact that this man died doesn't give others an excuse to go steal, destroy and burn like a mob of insane anarchists. The mindset of "well it's okay because they're insured" is also completely wrong. It basically shows that the only thing that's holding people back to do this during normal times is the law and not them having morals.

Yes, this man was killed in cold blood, which is absolutely terrible, but plundering this store and taking what isn't yours isn't going to help against this nor can the owners or employees at said store do anything about it.

jaden767

Amphetamine
The looters should be punished (well, the ones that were caught on camera at least). I think they've ruined the intent of the protests with their selfish actions and have given "the right" more fuel.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
If that was true the protests wouldn't have support 70%-17%, along with burning the police precinct to the ground also having majority approval. I think it being a side effect unrelated the the true actions of the protests themselves will be the most likely path, especially as police escalate on peaceful protestors.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I’ve had people tell me that looting and violent rioting is the only way protesters can be heard and get media attention which is total BS. The March on Washington was a peaceful protest where no one was hurt and no businesses were looted and destroyed and it got tons of media coverage and yielded major results to the point it is taught in school as an important part of US history. So don’t tell me that burning down some random business after you break the windows and loot the place is a for of protest and the only way to be heard and have change happen. I’m not saying this as a form of racial profiling as some people try to claim I am. I’m saying it as someone whose dad owns a small business and is said business was ever looted and destroyed then we’d basically lose everything as a result and suffer because of protesters taking things to far. I’m fine with protesting as long as it’s done peacefully and doesn’t cause anyone to get hurt. The past cases where protesters became violent really had nothing to do with what they started protesting for and is often used now as an excuse to get free stuff during chaos and try and insert “racism” as a defense whenever anyone calls out the looters and rioters for taking things too far. I’m suddenly a “racist” just because I think the violence is taking things too far and that businesses shouldn’t be set on fire just so you can be heard. I was called a racist for calling out the violent protesters and was told I was racially profiling such extreme cases to the protests. I wasn’t and I don’t like how people automatically think I’m something I’m not just because I have a different viewpoint from theirs.

dementeddurian

Love Ball Lover
I just wish people would stop talking about this. It's more infectous that the coronavirus right now. And these curfews came just right when we were about to give an "all-clear" to return to the public on a normal basis. Did I ever mention how much I LOATHE humans in general? It's this crap where people take sides and just let things sour that tells me people are idiots all around.

bobjr

Staff member
Sometimes not taking a side is taking a side, in this case when it comes down to police brutality you can’t back away from it without making a statement without making a statement.

When even kids shows are putting on 8 minute 46 second commercials about how bad it is you have to think what your silence is doing.

Also consider what should happen when you’re at a peaceful protest and police just come by and tear gas you. The police won’t be punished for this and even get rewarded, so what do people expect to happen when faced with a literal war crime?

Last edited:

dementeddurian

Love Ball Lover
Sometimes not taking a side is taking a side, in this case when it comes down to police brutality you can’t back away from it without making a statement without making a statement.

When even kids shows are putting on 8 minute 46 second commercials about how bad it is you have to think what your silence is doing.
That's as dumb as how many religions and political movements say "if you're not with us, you're the enemy and should be vanquished." I just want the fighting to stop. That's probably not going to happen soon, though, given how stupid all sides are right now.

bobjr

Staff member
God forbid minorities want to stop being gunned down in the street by police to shoot first and say slurs later.

dementeddurian

Love Ball Lover
God forbid minorities want to stop being gunned down in the street by police to shoot first and say slurs later.
And this is supposed to make me angry? I just want people to STOP FIGHTING. You know how an argument at the dinner table gets out of hand and someone has to end the situation before it gets ugly? That's what we need. Only it HAS gotten ugly and we can't seem to be civil no matter what. I personally live with a racist grandfather and I don't like it when he uses racial slurs. I also don't like it when I hear stories about people dying because of politically-charged vigilantes wanting to destroy. I want to remain neutral about this because I hate people and think they are all dumb as crap. I don't want to be forced to take a side because I just want to live my life for the things I enjoy. If anything, I'll create a trifecta and condemn the sides that keep pestering me until both are subdued or worse. That's the problem with these "take a side" issues, they care nothing of the people who want nothing to do with the conflict and force them in it or outright kill them.

KillerDraco

And this is supposed to make me angry? I just want people to STOP FIGHTING. You know how an argument at the dinner table gets out of hand and someone has to end the situation before it gets ugly? That's what we need. Only it HAS gotten ugly and we can't seem to be civil no matter what. I personally live with a racist grandfather and I don't like it when he uses racial slurs. I also don't like it when I hear stories about people dying because of politically-charged vigilantes wanting to destroy. I want to remain neutral about this because I hate people and think they are all dumb as crap. I don't want to be forced to take a side because I just want to live my life for the things I enjoy. If anything, I'll create a trifecta and condemn the sides that keep pestering me until both are subdued or worse. That's the problem with these "take a side" issues, they care nothing of the people who want nothing to do with the conflict and force them in it or outright kill them.

Here's the thing about the "side" mentality. One side says "I want basic human rights". The other side says "No". Staying "neutral" in such a matter is like saying "I don't care if you have human rights or not because it doesn't affect me". THAT is why neutral is not actually neutral in a matter such as this.

Wanting the violence in the streets to stop is not necessarily a bad thing, but there's a big difference in how we get there. One side wants real changes to the police institution and legal systems that have allowed law officers and even citizens to kill unarmed minorities (mostly African Americans) with little to no consequence. The other wants to go back to the status quo and for all the protestors to shut up and go home.

Neutrality tends to inherently lend itself to the latter.

There's also the fact that most of the protestors are not inherently violent, but police response to protests, whether they be violent or not, is increasingly escalating, which is missing the point entirely. When the response to protests against police brutality is more police brutality... Maybe that kind of shows the reason why the protests are happening in the first place.

dementeddurian

Love Ball Lover
Here's the thing about the "side" mentality. One side says "I want basic human rights". The other side says "No". Staying "neutral" in such a matter is like saying "I don't care if you have human rights or not because it doesn't affect me". THAT is why neutral is not actually neutral in a matter such as this.

Wanting the violence in the streets to stop is not necessarily a bad thing, but there's a big difference in how we get there. One side wants real changes to the police institution and legal systems that have allowed law officers and even citizens to kill unarmed minorities (mostly African Americans) with little to no consequence. The other wants to go back to the status quo and for all the protestors to shut up and go home.

Neutrality tends to inherently lend itself to the latter.
It's only complete and utter treachery when someone says "Trying to be neutral is actually picking a side, and not the one people should be taking". The planet itself doesn't care what we fleas do, yet all sides of an argument act like they matter to the very core of the Earth. That's how stupid this fighting is. One side (in which you people have already cemented on your "side") will always tell you the other side is garbage. And I'm not listening to either.

Do you remember the Twix commercials about "picking a side"? They claimed to have "Left Twix" and "Right Twix" and even have packs that are only "Left" and "Right". That's as asinine as what we have going on now. I'm not picking a side because of politics and movements. I'd rather die than do that.

bobjr

Staff member
If you’re comparing a dumb candy commercial to a basic human rights issue in that regard I’m a bit worried you have no sense of empathy and scale when it comes to real world issues.