• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are you currently reading?

Ruas

Reading The Book of the Five Rings by Mamoto Musashi.
It's got samurais, so it piqued my interest.

Rakansen

ラルフ
I am currently reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn for a school project, I recently finished The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. I'm thinking of reading The Maze Runner soon, and I need to read The Pilgrim at Tinker Creek soon as well for academic decathlon.

Solfatara

Forest-Dweller
Virginia Woolf's The Waves. My third novel of hers, and I love them all so far. I just finished Marie Darrieussecq's A Brief Stay With the Living, which was incredible but awfully messed up and sad as well. I'd recommend both these novels though!

Bard_

Faith & Honor
I just finished reading Fifty shades of grey. It was a surprisingly interesting book. It was very well written.

Everybody in my country says bad, nasty stuff about it... Maybe because we're not muuuuch used to this type of genre. Either way, I find the writing pretty poor if compared to people like Cornelia Funke, hehe!

I'm reading Inkspell, which is surprisingly good! But lord, she gives too much (unnecessary) details, and the book tires a little. Other than that, is it great!
I'll start with Fall of Giants (Ken Follet) soon, lemme see how it'll be.

Psychic

Really and truly
My sister loved The Princess and the Captain by Anne-Laure Bondoux, and I've finally picked it up. Unfortunately, the writing isn't great, and some of the logic just isn't there. (Sailors desert their ship in order to kill two passengers by sending the ship into danger, which is the hugest waste of a ship I've ever heard.)

Quarter way through Count Zero, second book of the sprawl trilogy by William Gibson. It's been a good read so far, all three of the main characters are interesting in their own ways and I've been quite hooked on as I was with the first book, Neuromancer.
Oh, I had to read his novel Zero History for my Contemporary Canadian Literature class.
...though I never actually finished it. Maybe someday.

Everybody in my country says bad, nasty stuff about it... Maybe because we're not muuuuch used to this type of genre. Either way, I find the writing pretty poor if compared to people like Cornelia Funke, hehe!

I'm reading Inkspell, which is surprisingly good! But lord, she gives too much (unnecessary) details, and the book tires a little. Other than that, is it great!
I'll start with Fall of Giants (Ken Follet) soon, lemme see how it'll be.
Fifty Shades actually is pretty terrible for a number of reasons, but they have nothing to do with BDSM. Rather, it's the fact that the love interest is horrendously abusive, and tries to pass off his controlling, a-hole behaviour as BDSM. But usually if someone is denouncing that book, it's not because they actually noticed the abuse.

I read Inkheart awhile back, though I didn't notice that at the time. Would you recommend continuing the series?

Rakansen

ラルフ
Finally done with Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn! Now it's off to reading Pilgrim at Tinker Creek for my academic decathlon team.

Ruas

Read Eat, Pray, Love. One of those books that everyone has read, so just wanted to finish it. Loved the Italian parts, and the little jokes/descriptions every now then ("He's got a smile that could stop crime" :D ). Also was interesting for the tidbits of knowledge, like the Balinese naming convention.

The Hunger Games. I only watched the movie so I decided to give the book a try.

Bard_

Faith & Honor
Fifty Shades actually is pretty terrible for a number of reasons, but they have nothing to do with BDSM. Rather, it's the fact that the love interest is horrendously abusive, and tries to pass off his controlling, a-hole behaviour as BDSM. But usually if someone is denouncing that book, it's not because they actually noticed the abuse.

Well, I actually haven't noticed. I did notice one thing or two, but I thought it was something related to its genre, which I haven't payed any attention. All I know is that I can't like it =/

I read Inkheart awhile back, though I didn't notice that at the time. Would you recommend continuing the series?

Inkheart is amazingly good, if you like fairy tales and such, since it focuses too much on that; Fantasy. The other books follow that pretty well, but Inkspell tires, due to it being really slow paced. I don't know if English-to-Portuguese translation took part of its flow, but in my language, it takes about 3 to 4 pages to get a bit interesting and you not sleeping. I've read 200 pages and nothing relevant, literary, happened. For its reason I dropped it. You really need to be on the mood.
I will back to it eventually, since many people say good stuff about it. What's bad is... Its flow don't matches mine.

And I have started The Silmarillion. Tolkien is amazing, but lord, that book is CONFUSING!

fitzy909

Just another guy
Of Mice and Men. For class, naturally. Classic lit bores me to no end.

Same here. I didn't like it either. Far too boring. Although, we've moved on to Lord of the Flies, which is better. However, I may only think that because I just read Of Mice and Men.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
Just finished The Understudy by David Nicholls.

I am such a huge fan of this man's books. I don't know of any other writer who can draw characters and write dialogue with as much skill and panache as he does. Every wry little observation, every little detail which breathes life into the characters and every bang-on observation of the world which we live in is a genuine joy to read. The plot does drag in some parts and the ending was a bit too bittersweet and open-ended for my liking, but if anything, the little moments of humour and character more than make up for the book's shortcomings.

One Day is still by far his best book, though (and possibly also my favourite book of all time - but then again I haven't yet read Us).

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Warriors: The Blazing Star