• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are you nitpicky about?

Kirby

ʘ‿ʘ
Staff member
Admin
I agree so much about using the term 'OCD' to describe stuff that isn't even OCD. To the people who use OCD to describe something like "I get OCD when people use legends in a pokemon battle because it bothers me" do you even know what OCD even is? I mean seriously?

I'll give a brief description of how ****ed up this disease actually is. Picture yourself driving down the road and you hit a bump. It could be anything, a speed bump, rock in the road, a pothole, whatever. You hear that noise and think "Oh God I hit a person." So you go back and check for a body. You determine there is no body there, see no damage done to your car and go on your marry way. Except... did you check the ditch? Did you check behind the tree off to the side of the road? Did you check the opposite site of the road? So you go back. Again. And again. Over and over and over and over and over. If you don't go back something bad will happen. Maybe the person you're now convinced you hit is lying out of view in that bush dying but because you drove off thinking all was well they're now doomed to death. Even though you have checked every single nook and cranny, your car has no damage whatsoever. You see a perfectly logical explanation because there is a pothole/rock/speed bump/whatever but you just. Can't. Let. It. Go. You must keep looking because if you don't someone might die or karma might attack you and a family member might die or whatever. When you finally have spent hours out of your day and finally have convinced yourself you didn't hit and kill someone, you find out you're late for work/a doctor's appt/late to get home and spend time with family or friends, etc...

Rinse and repeat this every single day for various circumstances and that is OCD. OCD is miserable. So when you say "I get OCD over a book being out of place and must fix it" and can walk away content once said book is fixed. That is not OCD.

I'm sorry but I cannot answer this question as to what I am OCD about but I certainly hope my explanation clarified just how miserable and awful this disease can become when it spirals out of control.

Ninfia-Fan

I agree so much about using the term 'OCD' to describe stuff that isn't even OCD. To the people who use OCD to describe something like "I get OCD when people use legends in a pokemon battle because it bothers me" do you even know what OCD even is? I mean seriously?

I'll give a brief description of how ****ed up this disease actually is. Picture yourself driving down the road and you hit a bump. It could be anything, a speed bump, rock in the road, a pothole, whatever. You hear that noise and think "Oh God I hit a person." So you go back and check for a body. You determine there is no body there, see no damage done to your car and go on your marry way. Except... did you check the ditch? Did you check behind the tree off to the side of the road? Did you check the opposite site of the road? So you go back. Again. And again. Over and over and over and over and over. If you don't go back something bad will happen. Maybe the person you're now convinced you hit is lying out of view in that bush dying but because you drove off thinking all was well they're now doomed to death. Even though you have checked every single nook and cranny, your car has no damage whatsoever. You see a perfectly logical explanation because there is a pothole/rock/speed bump/whatever but you just. Can't. Let. It. Go. You must keep looking because if you don't someone might die or karma might attack you and a family member might die or whatever. When you finally have spent hours out of your day and finally have convinced yourself you didn't hit and kill someone, you find out you're late for work/a doctor's appt/late to get home and spend time with family or friends, etc...

Rinse and repeat this every single day for various circumstances and that is OCD. OCD is miserable. So when you say "I get OCD over a book being out of place and must fix it" and can walk away content once said book is fixed. That is not OCD.

I'm sorry but I cannot answer this question as to what I am OCD about but I certainly hope my explanation clarified just how miserable and awful this disease can become when it spirals out of control.

Wow. I knew OCD was a bad disease, but... Wow. I never knew just how much suffering OCD could cause someone. Judging myself with this, I would have to say that I'm not OCD. It must be torture for victims of OCD.

GoldGyarados

#1: When I'm drinking from a can, there can't be any of the liquid in the little circle of the rim thing (?)
#2: I have to have the spoon left in a cup of tea/coffee, if someone takes it out I have to get a new clean one
#3: Perhaps the weirdest one, everything in a word document must be PERFECT. Same formatting, same spacing, any picture must be in the top right of the screen. If there are two textboxes, they must be the same size and aligned the same, both horizontally and vertically.

I'm weird OK...

The Hiker king

Non Sequitur
I would say I'm only obsessive compulsive when it comes to cleaning. I'm a bit of a germaphobe so I make sure I clean remote controllers, doorknobs (I only use copper ones), phones, keyboards etc with alcohol wipes. I use vinegar on my kitchen surfaces and bathrooms and clean my shoes and toothbrush every week. I like to pour boiling water on my toothbrush.

It does pay off in that I rarely get the cold and flu.

pokemasta92

The volume on my computer must always end in a 5 or 0.
I used to do this too, but when I press the volume up/down button it goes up/down by 2, so if I had it set on a number ending in 5 it will be an odd number. Yes I know 5 is an odd number, but obviously my brain is only accepting of 5 and not 1, 3, 7, or 9 lol. So now it's just at an even number volume that sounds good. Doesn't have to be at 10, 20, 30, and so on, but part of me prefers it that way...
iPod's don't use numbers so I just have to deal with it!

I'm also a neat/cleanliness freak according to the average person, but if they truly knew what someone with OCD would do they would stop calling me that. I like to keep the dust off of my computer/TV, I use shampoo AND conditioner, I wash my hands after meals, after work, and before bed. This is not OCD however. People with OCD will wash their hands, and then wash them 10 more times in a row, sometimes until they bleed, because they aren't positive that they are clean. :(

I also agree that the term OCD shouldn't be used to describe anything that is oddly done, but I'm not sure of the right word to use here. Perfect isn't right because what's perfect or imperfect about odd/even numbers? These little oddities we have aren't limited to being perfect such as organization. So I don't know what to call it, but I do understand what OCD truly is. It's an ongoing thing that happens for plenty of different day to day experiences and doesn't just happen here and there. It's a terrible disorder.

Last edited:

Rakansen

ラルフ
I'm OCD about several things:
• I do not like my notes in my notebook ending in the front of a new page.
• I dislike almost anything that ends in an odd number. The volume, my grades, even my age, I'm quite annoyed that I'm turning 15 next month.
• As strange as this sounds, when I walk on tiles, I need to take an equal number of steps on each tile, preferably an even number of course!
• I constantly check things. Before I'd go to school I'd check my backpack ten times or so to see if everything's there, even when I'm already at school.

Wyrm

~Setting Sail~
Technically, my OCD is involved in everything I do. I've just learned to keep its influence under wraps better.

actually I still insist that I step an equal amount of times on both of my feet for the rest of my life hurr durr

Aeo

I'm actually not very particular about things as I once was. Although when I was very young, I made a habit of stepping with my left foot first when getting out of chairs. Crazy right?

flawlessazn

Spiffy ~ ^^"
Everything has to be an even number.

Rinni

Hero of the Storm
The volume on my computer must always end in a 5 or 0.

- I'm kinda the same, but when I'm at work, if the oven temperature is set to anything not ending in a number of say 0 or 5, then I get kinda itchy to want to change it. One of the Chefs likes to put the oven on 201 degrees (Celsius) just to annoy me.
- I'm crazy about when a dirty dish is left in the sink with water in it. I understand if it needs to be soaked but I hate cold gross water... not really obsessive compulsive just annoying.
- I MUST put my right shoe on first though or else the rest of the day my shoes feel weird. Same with socks and jackets etc.

TrainerTerry

I touch my stovetop and the oven (as well as the two doors in my apartment) a good 3 times before I go to bed :|

leafgreen5050

grass type Prince
Ya guys this isn't OCD ): but I get the point. I suppose you could call these pet peeves? I must always arrange how my window curtains close so that it's the way I like it lol !

Puma Italia

I don't have OCD. I have CDO because the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be.

lol I'm kidding, but really it's just things like the volume on my TV ending in in an even number. I feel like I check the weather on my phone every hour or so. Everything on my desk has a designated spot where it sits now, and if I were to move it, I'd probably feel a little uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Best post ever.

Sorry I know how fun it is for people to use this term the way they do, but just stop and think for a second that there are people who actually go through a nightmare of habits and rituals that they have almost no control over.
It isn't fun.

But yes, continue guys, using the term the wrong way.

pokemasta92

People keep discussing about what to call these little habits we have and I know exactly what you can say. Just say things you are obsessively compulsive about. Just because you do these weird things doesn't mean you have a disorder, but they are obsessively compulsive nonetheless.

Another thing I'm obsessively compulsive with is having anything on my car when I'm driving such as leaves or especially snow. During winter when I need to go out and my car has a foot of snow on it I turn on the heater and set it to defrost and then shovel ALL of the snow off. I don't want to have a little view hole like some people lazily make, I wouldn't even feel safe driving like that.

Search_Ops_TeamD

ShaggySmurf
Organization and optimization. If I see something out of place, it has to be put away.
If I can make something work better or make it more efficient, it has to get remade.
But this aspect of my character conflicts with another part of my character, laziness.
I'm sooooooo lazy, you don't even know. You don't even....YOU DON"T EVEN KNOW!
It's hard to decide whether to respond to habbit or just sit down and chill.

It's possible that I used to have an actual OCD. Minor OCD, but still. I would get up like 3 or 4 times in the middle of the night to make sure doors were locked and stuff was turned off, going around maybe 3 times every time I got up. Even if I remembered clearly that I checked everything, there would be some doubt in my mind. I wouldn't go to sleep until I was too tired to get up again. I'm glad that's over.

Last edited:
It's possible that I used to have an actual OCD. Minor OCD, but still. I would get up like 3 or 4 times in the middle of the night to make sure doors were locked and stuff was turned off, going around maybe 3 times every time I got up. Even if I remembered clearly that I checked everything, there would be some doubt in my mind. I wouldn't go to sleep until I was too tired to get up again. I'm glad that's over.

Well buddy sorry to say but if OCD developed in you, it's gonna be your friend you can't stand for life. Sure you can maintain it and keep it under control with different methods and experience but it's always going to be with you.

That sounds like a real form of OCD though. Anything weird you're doing nowadays? OCD won't focus on one obsession for too long without latching onto another obsession. You may have stopped doing the door checking, but if you really do have OCD, something else will probably invade your mind. Sorry, i'm not trying to get all into your life and crap, it's just I understand the disorder due to having it. It made itself clear when I was 17, my senior year. And now I'm 23. Do I still have it? Of course, it doesn't go away. I can handle it A LOT better than I did years ago, but it's still a pain to me that I can't control sometimes. It seems to actually develop fully in your late teens. I too have gone through the pain and time of getting up and constantly checking every door multiple times, the stove, the lights. On and off on and off, walk away.. oh wait, on and off. And too many other things to count. Don't get me started on washing and sanitation.

Ahhh sorry I'm very interested in the way these things affect people's minds. I'm not creepy or anything.. lol. Continue with your 'obsessions' sppf people!