• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are you nitpicky about?

captainfez3

The Chill Trainer
Best post ever.

Sorry I know how fun it is for people to use this term the way they do, but just stop and think for a second that there are people who actually go through a nightmare of habits and rituals that they have almost no control over.
It isn't fun.

But yes, continue guys, using the term the wrong way.

People will always misuse terms, it's important to distinguish if they are misusing them out of malice or ignorance. Hanlon's razor and all that. This is obviously important to you, but I would just bear in mind that this is a forum for discussing a video game and this is a relatively innocent topic. There isn't a need to be vitriolic.

Kreis

Still Dirrty
And this is section for not discussing said game, and if people want to express their annoyance at people misusing the term of the disorder that they have, then I think they're pretty justified in doing so.

Search_Ops_TeamD

ShaggySmurf
That sounds like a real form of OCD though. Anything weird you're doing nowadays? OCD won't focus on one obsession for too long without latching onto another obsession. You may have stopped doing the door checking, but if you really do have OCD, something else will probably invade your mind. Sorry, i'm not trying to get all into your life and crap, it's just I understand the disorder due to having it. It made itself clear when I was 17, my senior year. And now I'm 23. Do I still have it? Of course, it doesn't go away. I can handle it A LOT better than I did years ago, but it's still a pain to me that I can't control sometimes. It seems to actually develop fully in your late teens. I too have gone through the pain and time of getting up and constantly checking every door multiple times, the stove, the lights. On and off on and off, walk away.. oh wait, on and off. And too many other things to count. Don't get me started on washing and sanitation.

No worries, I don't consider this aspect of my life personal. In my case, I never talked about it because I just thought it was some habit caused by insecurities. This was back when I was 15; I'm also 23. But now that I think about it, I've gone through everything you said, the lights, the doors, the stove, at work when I closed shop. Maybe you're right, I never noticed. Nowadays I do feel they need to recheck the fridge to make sure it's closed, but that could be because the fridge is stupid and doesn't close right every time. When I leave home, 4 blocks away, I feel a doubt about locking the door so I think about driving back to make sure I locked right, but the urge is either weak or never there so I don't go back. Dang, I guess it's not over after all. Maybe it didn't fully develop in me, but I do remember it being pretty bad.

I've done research after reading your most helpful reply, thanks by the way, and this condition generally affects every aspect of a person's life. It seems like I have some form of OCD, but now it's only at home. Once I leave the house, nothing. Not at school, not at someone's house, nowhere. I don't go back to make sure my car is locked or anything. Thoughts?

pokemasta92

And this is section for not discussing said game, and if people want to express their annoyance at people misusing the term of the disorder that they have, then I think they're pretty justified in doing so.
I agree with this, but have given them an alternative. I recommend saying, "I am obsessively compulsive about..."
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is a very serious disorder. Most people have things they do that can be considered odd by other people. These things can be very compulsive and you might do them obsessively, however that does not mean you have the disorder. I'm not telling anyone what to do, just making a suggestion. :)

Jordi

I'm much like you OP, besides the germophobe part.

I tend to keep things ruled perfectly but, much like my desk right now, I do often make an exception. :p

I have to make sure every light switch in the house is facing the same way, everything is in it's proper place even if its moved a centimeter I freak out.

Jordi

I also agree that the term OCD shouldn't be used to describe anything that is oddly done, but I'm not sure of the right word to use here.

It's like people who use the word "gay" to describe something that is bad, stupid. Societal views have changed how words are used. This is no exception.

I've done research after reading your most helpful reply, thanks by the way, and this condition generally affects every aspect of a person's life. It seems like I have some form of OCD, but now it's only at home. Once I leave the house, nothing. Not at school, not at someone's house, nowhere. I don't go back to make sure my car is locked or anything. Thoughts?

Do you fight with your mind when you're out in public? Many people try really hard to avoid or stop their habits, especially while out with other people due to the embarrassment. I, myself get extremely anxious when I'm working or just out where there are other people, because I refuse to go back and check something until I'm certain the person is looking away even if my mind kills me. OCD always wins though and I have to make it seem like I'm going back to get something or said "Oh I could have sworn I dropped something, saw something, ect." Which is why nowadays I usually open up to people and just tell them I have the damn disorder, even though I still am embarrassed about it because honestly, to other people, you appear insane. But you're not, you're really not. Everyone has issues.

Are you more stressed at home than you are when you're away from home? OCD tends to worsen in times of extreme stress.

But maybe you got lucky, and it was just some crazy phase you were having back then, even though it definitely sounds like OCD. And you're welcome.
It's like people who use the word "gay" to describe something that is bad, stupid. Societal views have changed how words are used. This is no exception.

And many people get offended when people use the word 'gay' outside of it's true context.
:) I don't get offended when people say "I'm OCD about.." I just wish more people understood the actual term.

Dread Advocate

†Stay Metal†
I'm with everyone who doesn't like the usage of OCD here. I think this thread should be called "What are your quirks?" and the OP explains what he means by these quirks. Obviously, based on the current title and some of the things people are saying, this would mean individual little quirks that you are persnickety about. Kirby's example of OCD is what a lot of these posts aren't.

Last edited:

Feeshy

muse of snark
I'm with everyone who doesn't like the usage of OCD here. I think this thread should be called "What are your quirks?" and the OP explains what he means by these quirks. Obviously, based on the current title and some of the things people are saying, this would mean individual little quirks that your are persnickety about. Kirby's example of OCD is what a lot of these posts aren't.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

I'm a perfectionist with spelling. Everything MUST be spelled right, otherwise I will start to check what spellcheck thinks what the word should be, start spelling it in other ways, etc. It also bugs me when people use text talk or improper grammar.

pokemasta92

I'm with everyone who doesn't like the usage of OCD here. I think this thread should be called "What are your quirks?" and the OP explains what he means by these quirks. Obviously, based on the current title and some of the things people are saying, this would mean individual little quirks that you are persnickety about. Kirby's example of OCD is what a lot of these posts aren't.
I've said it two times and I'll say it again! :p
Just say, "I'm obsessively compulsive about....."
Quirks is a good word too!

Just bought a Red 3ds XL and it has a tiny scratch on the paint and its driving me nuts. I would upload a picture but can't.

Last edited:

kapslock

ye, using ocd in a casual context is pretty rude to those who have it but what can you do.

NO BUT!!! I have this really gross thing where i pull out my hair or snap it in half so it's even with the rest of the strands. and skin picking?? even more gross.

I have major OCD when it comes to organization. I just have to have my room clean at all times or it drives me absolutely bonkers. Also whenever I'm at a store and I see a product on a shelf that's not tidy I have to fix things, drives my parentals insane to be honest. xD

Flexs

taiyo-shin
I'm ocd with my door. gotta keep closing it so it stays closed. my door is old and creeks. but i'm ocd with all doors.

Last edited:

Sephora

yes I'm back
I am OCD with lights. They must be off if you are not in the room. It pisses me off when my siblings leave their bedroom light on and they are not in it :/

ebevan91

I have major OCD when it comes to organization. I just have to have my room clean at all times or it drives me absolutely bonkers. Also whenever I'm at a store and I see a product on a shelf that's not tidy I have to fix things, drives my parentals insane to be honest. xD

You would hate me because sometimes at the store if I have something in the basket and I decide I don't want it, I'll just put it on a random shelf somewhere. Even if its something frozen.