• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are you views about Lana from SM

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
It seems like she’s become such a controversial character recently (for reasons unknown). Either people hate or her or people praise the ground she walks on. I don’t get it. I don’t like how she’s written (but that’s mostly my gripes with all the Alola girls) but I don’t necessarily dislike her on my own.

Red and Blue

I still like her. Most of the hate seems to stem from the fact that she has more going for her than Mallow or Lillie.

Considering THIS forum, this will be another SM bashing thread, I fear....
Honestly it will be a miracle if this reaches more than 2 pages.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
She's not the character to receive the most development, but she's a fun quirky character. She's weird but without being insane. She's a bit the "beware the nice ones" trope. Socially weird, shy, and often in the background, but can be a force to be reckoned with if you piss her off. She can be very determined despite her shy nature. And she's hilarious. I really like her overall and the quirkiness she adds to the dynamic.

Not really sure why some people hate her tbh, although I have seen people claim she gets more than Mallow and Lillie. I disagree with that. Mallow gets a lot more purpose in the social dynamic as a supporting character than Lana does, and Lillie just gets a lot more character development. Lana has more pokémon than Lillie, but Lillie started a lot lower on the ladder in the beginning, unable to touch pokémon or even truly face the fact she couldn't touch them, and without a pokémon.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Well, she's my favorite, so I'm obviously biased, but I do wish they'd actually let her battle people besides Team Rocket. Most of her accomplishments are a gag to invoke Kiawe's overdramatic reactions. She'd probably have been better off as a Miette clone recurring side character than a main character since they didn't actually know what to do with her half the time. Same goes for Mallow, but obviously she'd be more like Shauna in personality.

It's nice that they tried to make 6 characters work, but the writers obviously didn't have the energy to think up stuff for all of them in most episodes, so people not named Ash suffered from lack of focus.

As for why she gets hate, it's because some people can't tell the difference between a gag character and a writers' pet.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Well, she's my favorite, so I'm obviously biased, but I do wish they'd actually let her battle people besides Team Rocket. Most of her accomplishments are a gag to invoke Kiawe's overdramatic reactions. She'd probably have been better off as a Miette clone recurring side character than a main character since they didn't actually know what to do with her half the time. Same goes for Mallow, but obviously she'd be more like Shauna in personality.

It's nice that they tried to make 6 characters work, but the writers obviously didn't have the energy to think up stuff for all of them in most episodes, so people not named Ash suffered from lack of focus.

As for why she gets hate, it's because some people can't tell the difference between a gag character and a writers' pet.
I would love lana and mao but writers who don't really care about her or mao and they are afraid to show their own character development.

DatsRight

Lana isn't bad conceptually, but she is pretty one note. She has quirks but they don't really play enough into long term development or synergy with the rest of the main cast. She is more a gag character with a few likeable traits, a lot of her shtick is how cheaply OP and perfect she is. It's funny enough as an episodic gag but doesn't really work as a protagonist we're supposed to be invested in, especially since she's barely done more than the other two main girls this series. Her Pokemon aren't handled great either, Popplio might be the blandest of the six signatures, so much she was among the few to actually get demoted after evolving this series, while Sandy, despite having a personality, is limited to inactive comic relief.

Lana likely would have worked better as a recurring character or a classmate from another section of the school. Ilima and Acerola similarly lack much in terms of flaws and dynamics, though because they are only seen in doses as supporting characters it doesn't feel a let down as their personalities still hold enough for what their roles demand to make them charming. Not to mention keeping them out of focus makes it more believable they'd be good at something like battling despite no limelight concerning it, while the show seems to be awkwardly trying to shoehorn in Lana as a powerhouse despite not giving her a single competitive battle the whole series, likely with the excuse 'oh but she's good at everything anyway'. This is where she doesn't work as a main character we are watching all the time because her gag character laws undermine the actual development of others.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Lana isn't bad conceptually, but she is pretty one note. She has quirks but they don't really play enough into long term development or synergy with the rest of the main cast. She is more a gag character with a few likeable traits, a lot of her shtick is how cheaply OP and perfect she is. It's funny enough as an episodic gag but doesn't really work as a protagonist we're supposed to be invested in, especially since she's barely done more than the other two main girls this series. Her Pokemon aren't handled great either, Popplio might be the blandest of the six signatures, so much she was among the few to actually get demoted after evolving this series, while Sandy, despite having a personality, is limited to inactive comic relief.

Lana likely would have worked better as a recurring character or a classmate from another section of the school. Ilima and Acerola similarly lack much in terms of flaws and dynamics, though because they are only seen in doses as supporting characters it doesn't feel a let down as their personalities still hold enough for what their roles demand to make them charming. Not to mention keeping them out of focus makes it more believable they'd be good at something like battling despite no limelight concerning it, while the show seems to be awkwardly trying to shoehorn in Lana as a powerhouse despite not giving her a single competitive battle the whole series, likely with the excuse 'oh but she's good at everything anyway'. This is where she doesn't work as a main character we are watching all the time because her gag character laws undermine the actual development of others.
It's like the writers thought "Wow, Miette and Shauna were received great! We should make main characters with similar personalities!" and then were like "...we have no idea how to keep them believably relevant over an entire region when they're almost always onscreen".

Last edited:

DatsRight

It's like the writers thought "Wow, Miette and Shauna were received great! We should main characters with similar personalities!" and then were like "...we have no idea how to keep them believably relevant over an entire region when they're almost always onscreen".

Pretty much. I am almost tempted to believe Lana and Mallow were last minute additions to keep gender balance. It just feels like they're still flailing blindly to click something with them while the other four at least had some level of consistent development. It would actually make perfect sense if they WERE only meant to be supporting characters at one point.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
I found Lana an entertaining character. One of the biggest trolls in the anime series... in more ways than one. Her focus episodes are pretty good and in my tier list. She is tied with Mallow right in the middle of top anipoke girl list.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Oh no, let me write this before @Zoruagible or @DatsRight (too late) comments...

Lana is awesome and I don’t think she’s as much of a Mary Sue as some people paint her out to be. I enjoyed watching her develop her simple bubble dream into something more as she strives to be like her master I’da. But I also think she gets too much screentime and is the one being treated better and outshining the most when it should be Lillie. It’s a problem when Lillie is supposed to be the main Pokegirl and her arc and character sort of pales in comparison to the accomplishments and situations that Lana was put into. I feel like Lana has done more in the show and had important events planned out a lot better than Lillie whom the writers seem to use only for her tryhard antics or family drama. Lillie was starting out early as a trainer yet the writers barely put effort into her journey while Lana has had episode after episode placed for her to expand and accomplish her simple goals. The scale for Lillie and Mallow (heck, probably the whole group aside from Ash) has been outweighed by Lana and I can’t help but wonder if it also partly has to due with the fact that her voice actress stated since the beginning of SM airing that her dream came true of joining Ash and Pikachu’s adventures.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian

She isn't even remotely portrayed as OP and perfect. Being stronger than Mallow isn't even close to the bar for being a powerhouse when Lana has had a lot more training than Mallow who's often busy at her family restaurant. Also, shy and weird is not perfect in any way. Like, no, just no. Ilima is portrayed as perfect, that's his entire gag. Lana is not even close to that. Sometimes I wonder if you're even watching the same series as we are.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
She is little more than a writer's pet and a proto-sue.
Perfect at literally everything and apparently has no flaws, gets handed freebies like evolutions, captures, and crystals left and right... she is literally the worst character ever! -.-

Mallow is the only good SM girl, facts

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
She is little more than a writer's pet and a proto-sue.
Perfect at literally everything and apparently has no flaws, gets handed freebies like evolutions, captures, and crystals left and right... she is literally the worst character ever! -.-

Mallow is the only good SM girl, facts
I think you do not know what the words facts, freebies, and literally mean.

DatsRight

She isn't even remotely portrayed as OP and perfect. Being stronger than Mallow isn't even close to the bar for being a powerhouse when Lana has had a lot more training than Mallow who's often busy at her family restaurant. Also, shy and weird is not perfect in any way. Like, no, just no. Ilima is portrayed as perfect, that's his entire gag. Lana is not even close to that. Sometimes I wonder if you're even watching the same series as we are.

I mean in the sense of crippling flaws or problems that recurrently bite her back and she works on the entire series, she has no real defining vice, her flaws are more like little idiosyncrasies for humorous value which leaves her a bit lacking in terms of an actual character arc. Again her quirks feel like something that make her fun as a supporting character but don't give her enough weight as a protagonist.

And I don't mean OP in terms of criticism, it's pretty much the entire point of her gags that she's automatically badass at nearly everything she tries. Battling is maybe a thing they tried to put more substance into but at the end of the day they still didn't bother to have her do any real battles for trial and error like say, Kiawe. She's still never been KOed or had to fine tune weak spots. She's like the sportsman who does all the research, has all the peripherals but rarely does the actual sport itself. I feel like that should be treated like a weakness way more than it actually is. Her personality is maybe not 'perfect' outright but it is largely defined by being a 'winner', arguably even more than XY Ash who at least had token moments of stinking at something or having a humility check (even if Lana is at least more emotive and less bland as an actual character).

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Her personality is largely defined by being a 'winner',
She's never won a single thing in the history of this series.
And I don't mean OP in terms of criticism, it's pretty much the entire point of her gags that she's automatically badass at nearly everything she tries.
She isn't... like she's only good at fishing and nothing else.
She's like the sportsman who does all the research, has all the peripherals but rarely does the actual sport itself.
She trained with Popplio all the time... like literally the first thing you see her do in her first focus episode is train.

XY Ash was glorified because everybody else in that series couldn't stop talking about how awesome he was, because he was good at battling and was handed a broken Greninja, and because battling was actually plot-relevant. Lana doesn't have that at all, aside from her fishing talents.