1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

What are you views about Lana from SM

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by AshxSatoshi, Aug 3, 2019.

1. MockingJ

MockingJ Banned

Except for the fact that Kiawe isn't a compulsive liar and Lana's not as bland as cardboard. But other than that sure, they have some things in common. I wouldn't have wanted them to become rivals though because a rivalry in the Alola cast wouldn't have worked since they're all too close to each other.

2. Emelie

Emelie Bookworm

It's a shame that Eevee didn't get to evolve into a Vaporeon because of Let's go. There is a lot of in-your-face promotion in Sun and Moon which gets tiresome and sometimes hurt the story.

kantoskies and Leonhart like this.
  3. Sham

Sham show the unknown

And it’s arguably the Eevee that’s done the bare minimum. At least May’s and Serena’s did stuff.

SH65, Twilight-Kun and Emelie like this.
  4. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Nighttime Guardian

I reckon Eevee's lack of development is mostly because of lack of time rather than lack of will. I think the writers underestimated just how much time it takes to develop a cast so large as the Alola cast and were searching and struggling to try and find the right pacing. It's evident they had a lot more plans, I'm also fairly sure they were also aiming at Poisonium Z for James at some point. They've never had a cast as large as this one before. I do hope that they'll continue it though, the character driven stories and the diversity such a large cast offers outweigh the negatives in my opinion, and with the experiences from Sun and Moon they should be able to pace things out a bit better for the next series.

kantoskies and maartjeverhoef like this.
  5. Leonhart

Leonhart Well-Known Member

Nagisa definitely deserved to evolve into Showers at least since Suiren getting a second Water-type would've been progress, but the writers have had her work more with Ashirene ever since it was an Ashimari while Nagisa seems more like a mascot.

kantoskies, MockingJ and Emelie like this.
  6. Emelie

Emelie Bookworm

I think it is better when the cast is smaller and the side characters get some kind of tournament arc and rivals.

The Alola characters suffer from the same problem that Misty does. Everybody participating in the Alola league reminds me of the Whirl Cup at the end of Johto. It's like the writers suddenly realized that the side characters didn't have a tournament arc and shoehorned one in at the end instead of having them work towards it over the course of the series. Misty and the Alola characters also lack rivals which means there is nobody who tests them.

For example Guzma could have challenged Lana more times before the league while making callbacks to Popplio's backstory.

Compare to May's and Dawn's Grand Festival, Serena's showcases and Iris' and Cilan's Don battles. These characters actively participate in tournaments, have goals and rivals.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Fiorenna, SH65, Ignition and 3 others like this.
  7. Sceptile Leaf Blade

I don't. I like more variety in the cast, I don't think every main character needs a rival and a goal to be the very best at something or whatever, I reckon that's formulaic and not all that realistic, not everybody has those kinds of ambitions or a rival with a similar goal, and I like that they're exploring different character types in Alola. Misty is a different case because she actually had a goal of becoming a water pokémon master but just never did anything with that other than the Whirl Cup. She never bothered trying to train Psyduck for instance, all she did was scold at it. On the other hand, some members of the Alola cast like Lana may not have the most ambitious goals, but at least they do get development and agency. Lana at least worked with her pokémon and trained with them, something you never ever saw Misty do.

A large cast does limit how much you can do with an individual character, but I'd much rather have more variety than May getting tricked by Harley for like five times in a row, Team Rocket showing up with either a big robot, a pit trap, or a big net cast out of their balloon every episode, and most filler episodes just developing a random character we're never going to see again. In Alola the side characters we only see once or twice are there to aid the main cast in their development, while before it was the other way around. All they really need to do as far as I'm concerned is get a little bit more experience with the larger cast so they can pace it out a bit better.

maartjeverhoef likes this.
  8. Emelie

Emelie Bookworm

I suppose it's better to have the Whirl Cup and Alola League than nothing. But the question is if the characters really deserve to participate in a league? Up until this point the league was a really big deal, in XY there was even that Furfrou guy who desperatly wanted to participate but couldn't because he didn't meet the requirements.

Compare this to SM when we have characters like Lillie who only has one Pokémon and the fact that the cast didn't complete all the trials. Isn't that a little unfair?

MockingJ likes this.
  9. Sceptile Leaf Blade

I don't think it's about deserving entry at all. Why would that be unfair? Everybody being able to enter seems fair to me. Lillie and her pokémon also don't have the battling level that characters like Kiawe, Gladion, or Ash have, so she got eliminated in the first round without much attention. I reckon it's more giving those characters some limelight here and show off at least some of their growth over the series and where they are now as opposed to just letting them only spectate for an entire league like what happened in prior leagues. Although Lillie barely even got to show off anything in this league because of time constraints, she really got the short end of the stick out of the main cast.

10. Emelie

Emelie Bookworm

I think it's good that the side characters get development but mabye something like the Don battles would have been more fitting?

During the XY league many fans were mad that Ash lost but now in SM there is this weird controversy with the battle with Hau. Then there is the companions who didn't actively aim towards the league with the exception of Kiawe.

If Ash finally wins the league would it feel undeserved? It would be a shame if that happened since it has been his goal for over 20 years.

But then again it's also nice that there is no "Captain Obvious" Brock commentary. :p

Leonhart likes this.
  11. Harley only tricked May 2-3 times, the first time is literally the first time they met so it was understandable, and in the Hoenn Grand Festival she thought he changed his ways from the first time and was willing to forgive him. The third time in the first Kanto Contest he did seem to trick her again but everyone didn't believe him. It never happened again after that.

Fiorenna and Leonhart like this.
  12. giancor

giancor Member

First of all, like someone else said, It's good to see the different characters being interested in differents things. Diversity is a good thing.

I think she's very cool and funny. Her goal is aliniated with being also a good battler (a lot of training) and that showed off in the Lana vs Mallow episode, also in the last one.

Fiorenna and kantoskies like this.
  13. Leonhart

Leonhart Well-Known Member

In the case of Suiren, she probably could've gotten her own tournament arc similar to the Whirlpool Cup from Jouto and made significant progress during that. Watching her evolve Ashimari in a tournament setting would've been cool.

Fiorenna, Emelie and TheWanderingMist like this.
  14. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

I think a more laid back slice of life approach wasn't a bad thing but ultimately they kept hinting to Lana wanting to be a battler and the league almost felt like it was trying to play off of that. The fight with Guzma only demonstrated this and how a few competitive battles here and there could have fleshed out Lana a little more by giving her some extra passion and personal challenges. We didn't need a tournament and rivals, just her exploring it in her own way.

I really feel like the girls should have gotten a battle royal before the league, especially since Lana and Lillie made hints to really wanting to do one.

15. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

I think hate towads lana is more recent in last few months before that no one really noted her, and big reason is probably that she has gotten a fully evolved starter in this region even before ash got or will get now its parallel to the hate iris got during BW days when she got dragonite everyone dissed her for getting an uber mons before ash did.

16. Lana is cool. Her fully evolved starter also didn’t amount to much anyway given it’s performance in the league.

Fiorenna likes this.
  17. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

Rowlet and seemingly Torracat performed better than Primarina in the league anyway. The show has put repeated emphasis on evolution not being everything into making a Pokemon stronger and I think they made the right call showing Primarina had been trained more for practicality than brute strength (even if her and Vikavolt were still oddly powerful).

My bigger beef with Primarina is how bland it was compared to Rowlet and Torracat. She got a foil way too late within the series and after evolving she rarely got any character moments at all.

Fiorenna likes this.
  18. p96822

p96822 Evolve me please

Rowlet only Got by because of dumb luck. Also Primarina fought in two rounds while Rowlet fought in one

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    KenzeyEevee likes this.
  19. CMButch

CMButch Kanto is love. Kanto is life.

Why is Lana hated? She's perfectly normal. Maybe not amazing or great but still good.

Pokegirl Fan~ likes this.
  20. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Am I supposed to laugh?"

Probably because she's basically flawless, her main evolved at a fast pace in less than 20 episodes, and she can compete with Lillie for having enough focus.

Zoruagible likes this.