• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are you views about Lana from SM

DatsRight

Because she never was that strong, sure she was stronger than Mallow but look who that’s comparing her to. Once she was up a bigger force than herself; she got laid out.

I think that was the recurring issue with them, they weren't challenged often. They were kept very complacent without much pushing them in battling or whatever else they put their attention to. They accepted to showcasing their limit in battling, but at the eleventh hour in the series where they can't really play off of it in a later arc or anything. Their roles in cooking and bubble making weren't really offered new challenges or steps either.

I think Sandy and Shaymin suffer in that regard. The other secondaries among the group represented a new step for the trainers to adjust to, a hole in their agenda their signature couldn't currently fix, but the two don't really have any substance to play on for Lana and Mallow.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
Because she never was that strong, sure she was stronger than Mallow but look who that’s comparing her to. Once she was up a bigger force than herself; she got laid out.
Honestly it’s a genuine shame she didn’t hit that kind of wall earlier. It could have been a great point of development for her. It’d essentially be the story of having been a big fish in a small pond. Once put into the sea, she’d be forced to grow in her style due to there being such strong trainers out there.

DatsRight

Honestly it’s a genuine shame she didn’t hit that kind of wall earlier. It could have been a great point of development for her. It’d essentially be the story of having been a big fish in a small pond. Once put into the sea, she’d be forced to grow in her style due to there being such strong trainers out there.

Yeah, the thing is most of the students had a similar 'big fish in small pond' arc much earlier. Kiawe had that point when he met Marowak, all the way in Season One (with odd bits of foreshadowing beforehand). The same episode shown him making genuine attempts to evolve out of it, learning Turtonator Shell Smash and capturing the more agile Marowak, no longer leaving him over reliant on his tanking battle style. We kept getting tidbits of him becoming more versatile in his limelight, making him feel dynamic, making his battle prowess seem fleshed out, hence him managing to get to the semi final in the league.

Lana and Mallow realising how they had held themselves back TWO SEASONS AFTERWARDS, when the series was almost finished. There's not nearly as much time for them to play on this development in a cathartic way, and it also means they spent the large majority of the series without a fallible quality to work on.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Lana is probably the only character in the entire Pokémon anime that I didn't like her design initially, thus didn't think I'd be interested to follow her story, but somehow changed my mind in the process. Her development was staggering: perfect up until the episode 32(?) where she obtained her Z-Ring, but quickly turned stale as writers didn't give her any Pokémon at all and let Popplio stay unevolved for a very, very, long time.

Sandy's introduction to her team didn't go well, as it was late and we haven't seen her in action so, it just felt like LGPE promotion with unique haircut if anything. Popplio literally evolved into Brionne, then into Primarina, within a matter of a few episodes; the development felt short compared to Torracat.

I like Lana and think she is cool. She is definitely up there with Ash and Kiawe and I'd really would've loved to see her as the only remaining female contestant to reach the Top 4. At least, the writers did her character justice by displaying her competitive spirit in all her battles, plus hooking up the mighty Kyogre.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Why is Lana hated? She's perfectly normal. Maybe not amazing or great but still good.

Let's check off the list shall we?
Ugly? Check
Got a fully evolved starter at a super fast pace without any work? Check
Hogged spotlight? Check
Stole the Water trial? Check
Basically a Mary Sue at everything? Check check

She's the worst character ever conceived.
And the one character I refuse to respect fans of

Hanto

Water Addiction
Ugly? Check
Lets call all the characters without scleras ugly.
What about freaking Goodra? What about Mamoswine and Steenee?
Hogged spotlight? Check
Maybe you meant Ash Ketchum or Lycanroc/Pikachu?
Not only Ash allowed to participate in trials. Team Rocket literally did the same thing with Ghost Trial, but you do not blame them.
Alain/Cilan says hi.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Poke Master 7 said:
Yea given how the writers have really done nothing with Sandy, I really wonder just what the point even was in them giving her the Eevee that was obviously meant to advertise Let’s Go. For all that, they should have just given Lana the Dewpider from the earlier episode and given Ash Eevee so he’d at least have a full team and she’d actually get use other than being glorified window dressing.

I do think that Satoshi should've just gotten Eievui instead since he could've promoted it without it simply being a plush doll for the rest of the saga, and Suiren could've easily have gotten a Shizukumo or even something like Namakobushi, which could've had a gag.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
One thing that bothered me was the classmates having a “moral ground” concerning how Guzma defeated Lana. First of all no cheering in the world was going to change the outcome. Secondly he didn’t break any rules or conduct in the battle. Lana was simply up against someone stronger than herself and that’s why she got defeated. Of course Guzma was going to try to restrict Primarina when she kept trying to run the entire battle since Lana knew she had no chance. The whole “avenge Surien” was one major eye roll. I’m glad Kiawe was there to actually say that Guzma didn’t do anything wrong.
Yea I mean Guzma May be a jerk but he’s a skilled and pragmatic trainer. Even Paul showed a ruthless pragmatism to his battles. Just look at his battle with Ash when he used Drapion. That thing was ruthless.

MockingJ

Banned
I didn't even consider Guzma's battle against Lana to be that ruthless to tell the truth. Lana had every opportunity to surrender if she felt that Primarina was in actual danger and Guzma was within his right to use Golisopod's strongest attacks on his opponent.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sham said:
One thing that bothered me was the classmates having a “moral ground” concerning how Guzma defeated Lana. First of all no cheering in the world was going to change the outcome. Secondly he didn’t break any rules or conduct in the battle. Lana was simply up against someone stronger than herself and that’s why she got defeated. Of course Guzma was going to try to restrict Primarina when she kept trying to run the entire battle since Lana knew she had no chance. The whole “avenge Surien” was one major eye roll. I’m glad Kiawe was there to actually say that Guzma didn’t do anything wrong.

I normally like it when Satoshi's friends try to unite for a common cause since their hearts are usually in the right place when it comes to that, but I agree that this time they seemed a bit out of their depth since Guzma didn't break any rules. He was pragmatic and maybe even a bit sadistic in how he handled Ashirene, but Satoshi's friends wanting justice for Suiren isn't something that I can get behind since Guzma technically didn't do anything worth getting revenge over.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Ugly? Check
Hogged spotlight? Check

She's the worst character ever conceived.
And the one character I refuse to respect fans of
1.I don't think she's ugly, she's not a beauty but more of average girl. But again this is fictional girl, so it's kinda pointless.
2.Charizard.
3. From who?Lillie? Lillie is still more important than Lana. Also what do you except from 8 main characters in SM ( not including Pokemon).
4. From who? James?
5. If she was she would've beaten Guzma xd.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
1.I don't think she's ugly, she's not a beauty but more of average girl. But again this is fictional girl, so it's kinda pointless.
2.Charizard.
3. From who?Lillie? Lillie is still more important than Lana. Also what do you except from 8 main characters in SM ( not including Pokemon).
4. From who? James?
5. If she was she would've beaten Guzma xd.
Semi unrelated: I mean Charizard literally had an entire arc centered around how his rapid growth caused a major issue to Ash as a Trainer and Ash had to work to gain his trust and battle properly. There was only a few times Popplio/Brionne/Primarina actively struggled so I don’t think Charizard & Primarina should be compared

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Ash's Charizard just became a massive jerk out of the blue even as a Charmeleon.

Dude saves you from dying in the rain and THIS is how you repay him? Maybe as a Charmander he thought Ash was worthy of him, but clearly a Charmeleon was too good for the kid!

Trevor was lucky, all things considered.

MockingJ

Banned

I don't think she's ugly either, just normal looking for a girl. Kind of like the female version of Cilan because of her eyes.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
Semi unrelated: I mean Charizard literally had an entire arc centered around how his rapid growth caused a major issue to Ash as a Trainer and Ash had to work to gain his trust and battle properly. There was only a few times Popplio/Brionne/Primarina actively struggled so I don’t think Charizard & Primarina should be compared
Yea and even beyond that, Charmander was a strong battler that Ash frequently used between regular battles, TR battles, gym battles and even the one who helped him capture a rampaging Primape. Him evolving was most definitely earned compared to Poplio.

DatsRight

Popplio evolving through a more diverse activity than battling wasn't bad, it was it suddenly being powerful that would have contrived it. It would get better in its practical uses sure but if it still barely battled then its not gonna suddenly be a powerhouse. The league stretched its brute force a little but did seem to at least imply this in the Guzma fight.

Also design wise, Lana wasn't bad. It was at least a unique design with proportions that weren't interchangeable with every Poke girl. I'm not 100% on the Barney Rubble eyes, but they are at least a unique design quirk that makes her different.

Emelie

Bookworm
I have seen some fans praise the Alola characters' designs because they are very exaggerated and easy to understand for younger kids.

I must admit that I prefer female characters that look more like ordinary girls like Dawn, Misty and Serena instead of hyper focusing on which type of Pokémon they prefer. Besides Lana only has one water Pokémon since poor Eevee isn't allowed to evolve.

I like how Lana wears long pants though. I wish Serena would have worn long pants after the makeover. I don't get why Serena and Lillie must wear the same colors all the time especially since they made such a big deal about them changing their apperances.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Emelie said:
I like how Lana wears long pants though. I wish Serena would have worn long pants after the makeover. I don't get why Serena and Lillie must wear the same colors all the time especially since they made such a big deal about them changing their apperances.

I like that fact that Suiren isn't in the cast to serve as eye candy the way that Mao and Lilie are. Mao's supposed to be the typical pretty girl with a rather upbeat and ditzy attitude compared to her peers, while Lilie's more refined but still cute enough to command attention. But Suiren's kind of in her own category.

Emelie

Bookworm
I think they were trying to focus on how Serena became more adventurous and a smarter traveler after the makeover since her original outfit was tighter and more form-fitting.

But mabye having her wear long pants would have been more interesting since XY was the first (and at the moment the only) game where the female protagonist can wear pants.

I always wondered why there are so few girls who wear long pants in Japanese anime and video games. Is that actually a thing in Japan or just fanservice?

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I always wondered why there are so few girls who wear long pants in Japanese anime and video games. Is that actually a thing in Japan or just fanservice?
I know they had strict dressing codes, a hard-working, law-abiding and collective (refer more "We" than "I") culture, so they had less time to wear casually. Not to mention the climate over there is mostly subtropical, unlike in Northern US and Canada where it's inconvenient to wear skirts in freezing temperatures during winter.

Last edited: