1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

What are you views about Lana from SM

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by AshxSatoshi, Aug 3, 2019.

1. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

Popplio evolving through a more diverse activity than battling wasn't bad, it was it suddenly being powerful that would have contrived it. It would get better in its practical uses sure but if it still barely battled then its not gonna suddenly be a powerhouse. The league stretched its brute force a little but did seem to at least imply this in the Guzma fight.

Also design wise, Lana wasn't bad. It was at least a unique design with proportions that weren't interchangeable with every Poke girl. I'm not 100% on the Barney Rubble eyes, but they are at least a unique design quirk that makes her different.

Fiorenna and FirefoxFennekin like this.
  2. Emelie

Emelie Bookworm

I have seen some fans praise the Alola characters' designs because they are very exaggerated and easy to understand for younger kids.

I must admit that I prefer female characters that look more like ordinary girls like Dawn, Misty and Serena instead of hyper focusing on which type of Pokémon they prefer. Besides Lana only has one water Pokémon since poor Eevee isn't allowed to evolve.

I like how Lana wears long pants though. I wish Serena would have worn long pants after the makeover. I don't get why Serena and Lillie must wear the same colors all the time especially since they made such a big deal about them changing their apperances.

Leonhart and FirefoxFennekin like this.
  3. Leonhart

Leonhart Well-Known Member

I like that fact that Suiren isn't in the cast to serve as eye candy the way that Mao and Lilie are. Mao's supposed to be the typical pretty girl with a rather upbeat and ditzy attitude compared to her peers, while Lilie's more refined but still cute enough to command attention. But Suiren's kind of in her own category.

Li††lesuzie and MockingJ like this.
  4. Sham

Sham show the unknown

I feel like they did that with Iris as well. She wasn’t meant to be eye candy and to this day I believe she’s the only ten years old who likes she’s ten.

Li††lesuzie and MockingJ like this.
  5. Emelie

Emelie Bookworm

I think they were trying to focus on how Serena became more adventurous and a smarter traveler after the makeover since her original outfit was tighter and more form-fitting.

But mabye having her wear long pants would have been more interesting since XY was the first (and at the moment the only) game where the female protagonist can wear pants.

I always wondered why there are so few girls who wear long pants in Japanese anime and video games. Is that actually a thing in Japan or just fanservice?

Whitelily likes this.
  6. AznKei

AznKei Badass girls saving their boyfriends. XD

I know they had strict dressing codes, a hard-working, law-abiding and collective (refer more "We" than "I") culture, so they had less time to wear casually. Not to mention the climate over there is mostly subtropical, unlike in Northern US and Canada where it's inconvenient to wear skirts in freezing temperatures during winter.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Li††lesuzie likes this.
  7. Emelie

Emelie Bookworm

Funny how Dawn wears a short skirt in the snow while Lana wears long pants in Hawaii... :rolleyes:

8. AznKei

AznKei Badass girls saving their boyfriends. XD

Yeah, but despite how snowy Hokkaido, in which Sinnoh is based of, can be, it's still less colder than the regions I mentioned earlier, and less mention of deaths due of hypothermia.

Also, Dubai is painfully hotter than Hawaii, thanks to its desert climate, and their people still wear more than the Hawaiian counterparts.

Fiorenna likes this.
  9. Leonhart

I tolerated Serena's makeover in mid-XY, because she was based on the female playable character from the X/Y games and it made sense that she would change her style especially since customization was a new feature back then. But I would've been surprised if Suiren had received a makeover in the same vein.

Fiorenna likes this.
  10. Sham

Sham show the unknown

Serena looked like a clown in her new outfit, I preferred the original.

11. Emelie

Emelie Bookworm

I think Serena looked alright after the makeover even if I would have preferred something completely new. Lillie's new outfit is kind of like that too, it still looks somewhat similar to the original one.

I think Serena has the most normal hairstyle so she will never look too weird. I wish Iris had cut her hair too. It would have worked better with her character since she was always climbing on stuff which made her hairstyle seem inconvenient. Mabye Axew could have finally moved out of home and evolved into a cool dragon. :cool:

12. Kuzehiko

Kuzehiko Well-Known Member

Lana is a decent character to be honest.
    She had huge potential but I think writers did not fully take advantage of it. She has a goal, likeable and entertaining personality but she hasn't been developed in that departament neither in her goal progress but I don't blame her at all. The SM cast is just too big and the writers simply wasted her potential.

MockingJ likes this.
  13. Twilight-Kun

Twilight-Kun Pokemon World Champion

I was hoping that once Popplio evolved, she would teach Nagisa Bouncy Bubble while she then worked on her singing, which is what would've triggered her evolution later instead of "I can't swim fast enough, better evolve so I can!"

But, since the LG games came out to little fanfare and were promptly ignored, they turned Nagisa into Shiron 2.0, who's cute, marketable, and can be carried around so the animators don't have to spend more time animating pokémon

SH65, Emelie and Leonhart like this.
  14. DatsRight

I feel like Mallow's Shaymin is more Snowy 2.0, being the timid baby of the group, Sandy follows more Chespin or Togedemaru structure of being the hyper comic relief, just we already have tons of comic relief in SM already, so Sandy being mostly just that doesn't add much new to the table. It felt like Sandy was gonna form a duo with Popplio to help give her more character, like Marowak did with Turtonator, but then very quickly after, Popplio evolved and stopped taking part in as many funny interaction scenes.

But yeah it's odd they never showcased Bouncy Bubble. I'm not sure cast size is really the issue with the girls' secondaries, Meltan appeared REALLY late as well, but they're good at giving the little guy bits of good limelight in very condensed scenes and I feel like there was loads of time to spare in Ultra Adventures to bring these guys in. The problem is that the girls don't really have any transformative development or agency with their secondary Pokemon, so they feel kind of like dead weight, while previously a lot of characters' first captures signified a drastic step in their development.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  15. Sham

Sham show the unknown

The moves of Let’s Go are most likely not canon to main series games and the writers know this.

Twilight-Kun, Emelie and KenzeyEevee like this.
  16. Leonhart

I thought that once Suiren's Osyamari evolved into Ashirene, Suiren would promptly begin training Nagisa since Ashirene didn't need to improve more other than by learning her signature Z-Move [which happened off-screen, anyway], but as the weeks passed and Nagisa continued to just be there doing nothing important, I began to gave up on the idea of her evolving.

Whitelily, Twilight-Kun and Emelie like this.
  17. Sham

Sham show the unknown

Is Eevee a boy or girl?

18. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Am I supposed to laugh?"

Yes.

But anyhow, I think it's a boy just because of its former bushy hair.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Li††lesuzie likes this.
  19. DatsRight

There's been subtle implications with genders but mostly not confirmed. It did take part in a magical girl sequence though. :p

Did Sandy get the bow or amulet for Ultra Guardians outfit?

20. Poke Master 7

Poke Master 7 Boulder Trainer

I dunno. Was Sandy ever even present in any Ultra Guardian episodes after being captured?

Li††lesuzie and Whitelily like this.