• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are you views about Lana from SM

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
He has been through three baby legendaries during SM, why couldn't Lillie keep her plot with Cosmog from the games?
Because instead of being driven with grief for losing her husband that led to being intoxicated by aliens/genuinely neglectful (and boring) to her kids, her mother became an embarrassing parent who spoiled her rich daughter silly.

Gladion's lucky he retained a bit of what made him interesting in the games (except coming after Alain is not a good point in his resume for being the next edgy rival).

Leonhart

Imagineer
DatsRight said:
Sandy at least has a personality and a cute chemistry with Lana, but feels kind of wasted allocated to her with the lack of actual development or agency for it with her. The idea of an Eevee going to one of the element typed Trial Captains was good, but more because of how they could personalise it. Besides giving it a haircut Lana hasn't done much of that.

Suiren evolving Nagisa would've been the perfect way for her to personalize it, but in hindsight it probably should've been evident early on that Suiren wouldn't evolve it given its game mascot status. I think Nagisa should've learned more attacks in total by now, too.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
Suiren evolving Nagisa would've been the perfect way for her to personalize it, but in hindsight it probably should've been evident early on that Suiren wouldn't evolve it given its game mascot status. I think Nagisa should've learned more attacks in total by now, too.
What attacks does it even have? The only time that I can think of that it actually battled, we didn’t even see it battle, just the aftermath.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
You mean something everyone in the main cast does? Thats not a reason. I'm asking why Lana out of everyone in the SM main cast got Eevee. And what does she gain from it.
It likes the sea and came to Alola across the ocean, that ties her more with Lana's love of the ocean than to the other cast members. Why does there need to be a deeper reason?

Too bad that Ash stole Lillie's Cosmog. He has been through three baby legendaries during SM, why couldn't Lillie keep her plot with Cosmog from the games? I almost forgot about Solgaleo since other promotional Pokémon have been shoved in our faces since then.

Lillie wasn't ready for Cosmog at that point in the story because she couldn't touch pokémon. There was no in-universe reason for the group to entrust Lillie with it, she was the least suitable. And there's no way Lusamine would have agreed to it, at that point Lusamine was still convinced Lillie was a baby who couldn't do anything on her own. Nebby was still a catalyst for Lillie's growth and eventually overcoming her fear of touching pokémon in that arc.

I feel like most of the bitterness from this is purely because it's different from the games and not because it was actually a poor story decision on its own. Seriously, all this complaining about how Lana got Eevee without much ties to it, and then also complaining about how Lillie did not get Nebby even though at that point she also barely had any ties to it other than giving it a name.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
That kinda a weak reason. And even so the writers didn't really do anything with that after Lana got him so....
That doesn't answer the question why there even is a need for a good reason. Someone from the cast had to get an Eevee for promotional purposes. Having it come from distant lands across the ocean was a nice backstory and that lent itself to tying it with Lana. There isn't really a reason why she shouldn't have gotten it either. Sure I wish they had more time to do things with it, I'd have loved to see it evolve into Flareon for instance to push Lana out of her comfort zone a bit more with a fire type, but that's not down to Lana getting it but just because they don't have enough episode time.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
It likes the sea and came to Alola across the ocean, that ties her more with Lana's love of the ocean than to the other cast members. Why does there need to be a deeper reason?
That’s a pretty weak reasoning especially considering the fact that Alola is an island based region. Any Pokémon that comes from outside of it would have had to cross the sea to get there. Just look at Meltan for example. And for its apparent love for the sea, absolutely nothing has been done with it to the point that the question is raised if it’s even a real trait or just a one-off plot point.

Sonnas

Given how quickly and fleetingly they used Nebby even with Ash, it feels like they weren't that interested in it (I found it a bigger insult they didn't even refer to it as 'Nebby' when it returned, like the writers had barely any affection for it and its bond with Lillie in the games).

Nebby was a key plot device in the AF arc but was used too fleetingly to really have much impact as a character, even if it at least had a personality.

So basically it felt more like they under obligation to write Nebby and just do it as quickly as possible with no attempt to see what story stuff they can do with Nebby?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Me: There doesn't need to be a reason
People: That's a weak reason
Me: Why is a reason even necessary, it's a kid's show?

I mean, seriously? How hard is it to get my point?

DatsRight

I think it was for the best Lana got a second Pokemon, it's just baffling they didn't try any sort of development with it. It feels like the girls weren't going to get secondaries originally, but then they realised the issues this would cause with their huge fully evolved Pokemon so shoehorned in Sandy and Shaymin to take their place without anything else planned in advance.

Sonnas

I think it was for the best Lana got a second Pokemon, it's just baffling they didn't try any sort of development with it. It feels like the girls weren't going to get secondaries originally, but then they realised the issues this would cause with their huge fully evolved Pokemon so shoehorned in Sandy and Shaymin to take their place without anything else planned in advance.
Especially weird since they had an episode with dewpider but it was a tease and didn’t go anywhere.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
Me: There doesn't need to be a reason
Me: Why is a reason even necessary, it's a kid's show?

I mean, seriously? How hard is it to get my point?
Considering that you began with the statement that Lana takes good care of it as if that’s somehow a unique trait to her, you kinda drew it on yourself for people to question it.

And when it comes to something that should present development to a cast member in a serialized series where things are plotted out in advance, there should be some reason why a character receives the Pokémon. This was the case with Kiawe, Lillie, and Sophocles when they got a new Pokémon. Only with Eevee and Shaymin has their presence served no purpose other than basically being props.

DatsRight

Fujisaku at least can be well credited for one thing, the Malie city episode was a decent attempt at trying to develop the bonds and personalities of the two towards Lana and Mallow, but the problem was they didn't follow on from that, they just went right back to being props, even in the episodes done by the same writer. They need more than one episode to show their relevance.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Considering that you began with the statement that Lana takes good care of it as if that’s somehow a unique trait to her, you kinda drew it on yourself for people to question it.

And when it comes to something that should present development to a cast member in a serialized series where things are plotted out in advance, there should be some reason why a character receives the Pokémon. This was the case with Kiawe, Lillie, and Sophocles when they got a new Pokémon. Only with Eevee and Shaymin has their presence served no purpose other than basically being props.
That was more of a response to a sentiment that Lana was "undeserving" of Eevee, and my point is that such a sentiment is unfair to Lana who is equally deserving of it as all the other cast members, she takes just as good care of her pokémon as anyone else in the group, and I daresay there isn't any other requirement whatsoever that needs to be fulfilled to be deserving of catching a pokémon (as long as it's not an overpowered pokémon that breaks the plot or tension). I don't think there is any need for a strong argument that specifically singles out Lana for its capture, it wanted to stay with Lana so it did and that's good enough for me. Only giving her bubble pokémon like Dewpider might fit thematically but also keeps Lana even more inside a comfort bubble than she already is. There is at least more potential for development when you put characters at least a little bit outside of their comfort zone. Whether that potential also gets fulfilled is a different subject entirely.

Nowhere have I denied that they haven't done much with Eevee. But that's purely down to limited episode time, that's not because it ended up with Lana and those two shouldn't be confused. Almost every pokémon not belonging to Ash has had very little development in Ultra Legends due to time constraints. Look at pokémon like Togedemaru or Turtonator who got virtually nothing in Ultra Legends.

DatsRight

Turtonator got a backstory, a bit of dynamic building as the team's 'onii chan' and at least a reasonable display during the league. That's not a lot but for the large part Turtonator was already well trained and got reasonable characterisation prior to Ultra Legends, so spotlight rotation made sense. You could lay more argument to Charizard, though even that at least got two big moments.

I don't fully buy that they had zero time to develop Sandy. Being introduced near about the last year of the series certainly didn't help, but Meltan still got reasonable development in spite of appearing even later than it and Shaymin. Plus Mallow and Lana have had development episodes since then that for whatever reason barely involve them. They didn't even bother showing them performing in the league onscreen, something even Togedemaru got some morsels of.

p96822

Evolve me please
Turtonator got a backstory, a bit of dynamic building as the team's 'onii chan' and at least a reasonable display during the league. That's not a lot but for the large part Turtonator was already well trained and got reasonable characterisation prior to Ultra Legends, so spotlight rotation made sense. You could lay more argument to Charizard, though even that at least got two big moments.

I don't fully buy that they had zero time to develop Sandy. Being introduced near about the last year of the series certainly didn't help, but Meltan still got reasonable development in spite of appearing even later than it and Shaymin. Plus Mallow and Lana have had development episodes since then that for whatever reason barely involve them. They didn't even bother showing them performing in the league onscreen, something even Togedemaru got some morsels of.[/QUOTE

But we don’t get to see Turtonator doing anything after that episode

DatsRight

But we don’t get to see Turtonator doing anything after that episode

As said though, Turtonator had already gotten okay limelight in the first two seasons. Much in the same way Lycanroc was demoted in Ultra Legends after getting the lion's share of development out of Ash's team in Ultra Adventures. Rotating to another character made some sense in that regard. They already got some development.

Plus the writers seemed to be better still maintaining a presence for those two with minimal limelight. They didn't get much centre stage but they were still often shown training and battling with Ash or Kiawe in several scenes, they still maintained relevance to what they did as trainers.

Of the trainers' secondaries, Sandy has done this the least, due to seldom being seen trained by Lana for either her bubble dream or proper battling, with almost all focus being on Primarina. Shaymin meanwhile has done at least A LITTLE restaurant/team mom stuff with Mallow if not in a very developed way (then again Tsareena is only relatively better, they're not very good merging Mallow's trainer functions into her occupation).

Last edited:

p96822

Evolve me please
As said though, Turtonator had already gotten okay limelight in the first two seasons. Much in the same way Lycanroc was demoted in Ultra Legends after getting the lion's share of development out of Ash's team in Ultra Adventures. Rotating to another character made some sense in that regard. They already got some development.

Plus the writers seemed to be better still maintaining a presence for those two with minimal limelight. They didn't get much centre stage but they were still often shown training and battling with Ash or Kiawe in several scenes, they still maintained relevance to what they did as trainers.

Of the trainers' secondaries, Sandy has done this the least, due to seldom being seen trained by Lana for either her bubble dream or proper battling, with almost all focus being on Primarina. Shaymin meanwhile has done at least A LITTLE restaurant/team mom stuff with Mallow if not in a very developed way (then again Tsareena is only relatively better, they're not very good merging Mallow's trainer functions into her occupation).

What limelight? Turtonator never had an episode focus on him as a character