1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

What are your favourite additions to the Pokémon games?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by AgentKallus, Aug 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. AgentKallus

AgentKallus ♪ Doh doh doh ♪

What are your favourite additions* to the Pokémon games? Which new feature captured your imagination? Did a new type inspire you?

The addition of abilities really improved Pokemon to be as it help make many Pokemon more distinct and such, however my very favourite addition to the Pokemon games would have to be regional forms, as someone who has studied evolutionary biology and is passionate about adaptation, I really like how they incorporated 'sub-species' so to say into Pokemon, it really helps the pokemon fit in the world and there are some many new ideas this opens up. Seeing galarian forms confirmed was great as it meant that regional form weren't just for Alola. Something I hope they will do though is have the regional variants native to more regions than just the one they orginate from, after all if the kantonian geodude is in more regions than just Kanto then why shouldn't the same be possible for the Alolan geodude?

*= By additions I mean anything introduced in the games after red blue and green, from yellow onward basically as anything in RBG wasn't an addition but was there in the beginning. (also I didn't mean individual pokemon but rather new concepts and ideas like contests or physical special split for example)

MockingJ and wolf jani like this.
  2. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Still miss you, Lorne. Staff Member

When they brought in Dark types in GSC. Really appreciated them.

AgentKallus and wolf jani like this.
  3. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Wandering Pokémon in the overworld. It positively brings the game world to life.

4. wolf jani

wolf jani The vice-commander of Mimawarigumi

Many things. All of the added types brought balance into the game. Addition of trials to replace gyms in Alola was a fun change of pace. Mega evos & Z moves were fun. I loved contests & pokelathon.

AgentKallus likes this.
  5. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

The physical-special split was a sigh of relief as it allows types to be whatever type of attacker they want

6. Ignition

Ignition My son finally did it

Quite a few things:
    -Pokèmon Amie/Refresh: I think it’s a nice pastime watching your Pokèmon show more personality than simply battling
    -Physical/Special split: easily the most needed addition for competitive
    -Held Items/Egg Moves/Abilities/Natures: Helps make the Pokèmon meta more interesting
    -Dark Type: Lead to my two favorite Pokèmon Incineroar and Krookodile
    -BW’s sprites: IMO the best the series has been art style wise
    -SM’s Pokèdex entries: added small bits of lore

wolf jani likes this.
  7. shoz999

shoz999 IT WAS ME! SETETH!

Gen 2 - Pokemon... IN FULL. COLOR. It was a big deal at that time.
    Gen 3 - Battle Frontier
    Gen 4 - Physical/Special split
    Gen 5 - The animated sprites, they will be nothing like that in the Pokemon games for a long time.
    Gen 6 - BEST. ONLINE. MULTIPLAYER. EVER.
    Gen 7 - Totem Trials, I liked how diverse the difficulty could be depending on your team-build. I saw so many people who just could not agree who was the easiest and hardest Totem boss because of their different Pokemon teams.

8. janejane6178

janejane6178 XY over SM (ew) ANYDAY!!!! <3 (Anything actually)

Fairy type

LadyTriox, AgentKallus and MockingJ like this.
  9. Divine Retribution

Divine Retribution Master of the freak show

Not sure if it's fair to call it an addition as it's more of a fix to a previous coding limitation, but the physical/special split was probably the single most important change to ever hit the Pokemon series. As for entirely new concepts, I've come to really appreciate Mega Evolution and I'm a bit disappointed that GameFreak seems to have entirely dropped it. I think it's a really cool concept and a nice way to give otherwise unviable Pokemon like Beedrill or Kangaskhan a new chance at viability, and I simply don't think Dynamax/Gigantamax can fulfill that niche in the same way due to its short duration and limitations.

wolf jani likes this.
  10. wolf jani

wolf jani The vice-commander of Mimawarigumi

Yup. I totally agree with the gen 7 part. In Sun Lurantis swept me like 20 times, same with Marowak on Moon & Araquanid on UM.

shoz999 likes this.
  11. Dragalge

Dragalge Is he Santa Claus?

- XY making the Destiny Knot useful in IV breeding.
    - SM adding the Judge function on PC.
    - Hidden Abilities
    - Removal of HMs
    - Double Battles
    - Getting rewards for a streak in the Battle Tree
    - New Dex entries from Gen VII/BW2
    - Fairy type mainly because it gave Poison moves a niche at last
    - Move Tutors

Ignition, AgentKallus and wolf jani like this.
  12. wobbanut

wobbanut Team Awesome

I like how each new generation since gen 4 has introduced different ways to shiny hunt, even if they were only specific to one or two sets of games. Gen 2 and 3 were limited to breeding and random encounters and soft resets, but since then we've had Masuda Method and PokeRadar, double grass and shiny charms, hordes and DexNav, and SOS. I'm interested in seeing what Sword and Shield will bring us.

wolf jani likes this.
  13. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I would have to say walking Pokemon in HG/SS. Technically Yellow version introduced that concept first with Pikachu, but HG/SS expanded the feature and I always thought that all future games should've kept that game mechanic.

MockingJ, AgentKallus and wolf jani like this.
  14. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Well-Known Member

Not necessarily an "addition" per se, but I was SO happy when Gen VII got rid of HMs. It made team building so much smoother, lots of "YAY I don't have to use a Flying-type!" and "YAY I don't have to give up this good move on my Pokemon to give it Strength or Rock Smash!". The only downside was I didn't like how the TMs for Surf and Waterfall weren't available until post-game.
    While I will miss Mega Evolution, I'm happy that regional variants are sticking around for at least one more generation. Many of the Alola forms (Muk, Raichu, Ninetales) are in my opinion much better than the originals.

wobbanut, MockingJ and wolf jani like this.
  15. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

-The Physical/Special split, since it made tons of Pokemon like Absol and Gyarados actually usable
    -Natures, since they add more personality to Pokemon
    -Running Shoes: exploring the world is much quicker
    -Abilities: again, they helped lots of Pokemon such as Azumarill
    -Mega Evolution: it made things like Charizard and Altaria good in battle
    -Diving: made water routes more memorable, shame it wasn't used that much

Divine Retribution and wolf jani like this.
  16. TRNRLogan

TRNRLogan Active Member

Lack of hms.

Reusable tms

MockingJ likes this.
  17. Shayminslicker

Shayminslicker Comes out of Nowhere

Honestly, I love the fact that they keep making changes to the IV and EV systems. They keep making it more and more accessible. I remember when I was a kid I REALLY wanted to understand this, but this was back in D/P/Pt and back then it was....really hard to actually get into it. You needed a calculator and you needed to put in the stats to said calculator to see if the Pokemon has the right number of IV's and you had to keep track of the EV's you got on a piece of paper and I thought it was all just a confusing mess.

However, they keep changing it up so you can actually SEE the IV's without the need for a calculator, and the same goes with EV's to some extent.

In LGPE I believe there was a system that allowed you to pay in-game money to catch certain natures of Pokemon and I absolutely loved that. No need to search for a Pokemon with synchronizing (Not like that existed in the game anyway) and there was no real need to catch Pokemon until you eventually got what you want.

All these quality of life changes make me happy and I hope they keep going forward in the future.

MockingJ, TRNRLogan and wolf jani like this.
  18. MockingJ

MockingJ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

The PokeWalker was pretty clever and I thought it was the best game gimmick that was ever introduced because it worked outside of the game but still gave us the ability to catch Pokemon and get items for HGSS.

wolf jani likes this.
  19. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member

Abilities, new moves introduced in each subsequent games, new Pokémon, the addition of new Pokémon types, breeding mechanics, the new challenges placed to become Champion, and new locations are my favorite additions.

20. mtqc

mtqc MY BEANS!

Abilities, Mega Evolution, the three new types, and shiny Pokemon are all my favorites. Shiny Pokemon have especially strengthened replay value for me. I'm constantly shiny hunting and I don't think I'd put nearly as many hours into my games if that didn't exist.