1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

What are your favourite additions to the Pokémon games?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by AgentKallus, Aug 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

Gen 2 - Full color, moving sprites, gender options, day and night cycles, rematches and actual postgame.

Gen 3 - Natures and held items.

Gen 4 - GTS, Improved BF and Contests, physical/special split, the Pokewalker, Pokémon following you and the PokéAthlon.

Gen 5 - Reusable TMs, the game asking whether you want to use another Repel and the Pokémon World Tournament.

Gen 6 - customization, PokéAmie, 3d graphics, easier EV training and breeding and diagonal movement.

Gen 7 - Totem pokémon and the exclusion of HMs.

My all time favorites are the PokéAthlon, Super Contests, Gen 4 Battle Frontier and the Pokémon World Tournament.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  2. WolfCypher

WolfCypher Well-Known Member

The Physical/Special attribute split.

No longer is a move like Fire PUNCH a Special move simply because its Fire type. Deciding that a move is Special or Physical based on whether the move is a projectile/energy move or a physical strike makes way more sense.

For instance, had this change not happened, a move like Aura Sphere would have been a Physical move. Its an energy ball that focuses Ki DBZ-like into a Hadoken, but "cus its Fighting, it has to be Physical." That would have made zero sense.

Dicklaycia, Lunalah and wolf jani like this.
  3. janejane6178

janejane6178 XY over SM (ew) ANYDAY!!!! <3 (Anything actually)

THIS.
    It was so annoying to activate the repel each time its effect was gone :/

4. Lunalah

Lunalah Well-Known Member

Reusable TMs were godly when they got introduced in Generation 5. No more having to trade with other people when you needed a TM that you had already used before.

5. Sicksadpanda

Sicksadpanda Discord Helper

Other than the obvious improvements, I did enjoy breeding getting improvements every gens. Passing down pokeball designs via breeding is probably my favorite one.

6. Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Pikachu Fan Number Nine Don't Mess wit Texas

All the new Pokemon in each generation. The individual species are the best part of the series.

wolf jani likes this.
  7. wobbanut

wobbanut Team Awesome

Or using one pokemon as your breed slave, much like a pokemon was your HM slave in older games. I had to do that a lot in gen 3 and 4 to pass down TMs I liked to multiple pokemon.

8. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

Not needing a near-permanent move is an exceptionally convenient decision for Generation 7. Of course, even before then they've been making it less and less necessary

Dicklaycia and AgentKallus like this.
  9. Monster Guy

Monster Guy Fairy type Trainer

The addition of Fairy type

10. Sakuyamon

Sakuyamon Active Member

I liked that Technical Machine moves became limitless in Black/White. Also the Physical/Special split in Diamond/Pearl was one of the better additions in those games.

Dicklaycia, AgentKallus and wolf jani like this.
  11. RedJirachi

• Gen 1: Pokemon existing
    • Gen 2: Special split, shiny Pokemon
    • Gen 3: Abilities
    • Gen 4: Physical/Special Split
    • Gen 5: Infinite TM
    • Gen 6: Fairy types

Dicklaycia and wolf jani like this.
  12. Tsukuyomi56

Tsukuyomi56 Gesshin Powered

- Modern physical/special move split in Gen 4.
    - Infinite use TMs
    - Destiny Knot breeding Mechanic in Gen 6.
    - Hyper Training in Gen 7. Granted Bottle Caps can be a pain to obtain in bulk but being able to touch up IVs is great.
    - Held items
    - Totem Pokemon, summoned allies tend to eject a bit of strategy into their battles.
    - Gen 7 removing the need for HMs

Dicklaycia, AgentKallus and wolf jani like this.
  13. Sham

Sham Get better soon

Nobody has said this yet I don’t think but BW2 asking you do you want to spray another repel

Edit:Never mind it was said

14. RedJirachi

I forgot about that. Yeah, that's on the top 3

15. TwilightBlade

TwilightBlade Well-Known Member

Customization was a big one that I know alot of people probably already mentioned, but I was so glad when X and Y introduced that feature because it was a long time coming. Also I really liked tag-along Pokemon in HG and SS. I know that Yellow introduced that feature 1st but HG and SS built on it and made it so much better.

16. malcolm_n

malcolm_n Pokemon Collector

Being able to train/raise IV's and EV's so that any pokemon can potentially be its best possible self. While pokemon will still have niches, at least now you don't have to suffer through never being able to use one just because you got bad stats.

Second favorite thing is being able to guide getting shiny pokemon in some cases. I hope this remains for Sword/Shield.

17. Luthor

Luthor Well-Known Member

Unlimited bag space. Play the original games and you'll constantly run out of space.

wolf jani likes this.
  18. Auraninja

Auraninja I'm ready to Smash

I don't feel like making a detailed list just yet, but I do love the idea of regional forms.

It's a great idea of reinvesting in older designs of Pokemon.

AgentKallus, wolf jani and Luthor like this.
  19. EmeraldArcanine

EmeraldArcanine #TeamScorbunny

Off the top of my head...

Pokemon Amie
    - It made me enjoy caring for my Pokemon in of itself and playing with them more than battling. In Refresh it's easier to bond with them because of the Rainbow Beans and it's made statuses less annoying because now you can cure them in Refresh. I spend more time there in Kalos than anything.
    No more HMs - I don't need an HM slave anymore.
    Infinite Use TMs - I don't have to worry about wasting it on the wrong thing in case I can't get it back.
    Fairy Type - Dragon typing and its overpowered ass gotta go. Plus Fairy Type gave me Sylveon. I just hope to see some actual dangerous fae Pokemon (In terms of dex/lore stuff I mean, like US's can get dark as hell for some reason, I'm sure ya'll have seen some entries) more akin to the deeper lore of it alongside the cute. They aren't all Disney fairies and to keep to that is rather bland.
    Super Training - Made EV training easier and less difficult to manage and watch for, especially in XY where you can literally do it from the start. I was honestly really upset when it was removed in SM and stuff in favor for the Festival. Because it's tedious and you can only do the services once a day, as opposed to as much as you want until you're maxed in that stat. Super Training made EV training VERY accessible and that was MORE than welcome after not being able to for many generations.
    Trainer Customization - I can actually personalize my character to be more like me in the Pokemon world. And not to sound all SJW, but being a black gal and all it is nice to be able to play as one as well, makes the PC more me.
    Poke Pelago - Same as Amie, seeing my Pokemon do more than battling and everything, even as sprites, I enjoyed. It amused me seeing my 'mons be described as being good at planting and watering berries and stuff. It also made getting evolution stones and rare items easier, for yourself to sell AND your Pokemon to use, and made happiness gains WAY FASTER OMG the hot spring made my newly-hatched Eevee evolve into Umbreon so soon before I could even reach the third island with just a single battle just like I wanted. I play the 7th gen more for checking in on Pelago more than the story at this point, the games really made me just love caring for my Pokemon.
    Physical/Special Split - Was a relief for the early genners who probably expected this or that move to be special when it's not and it made things much more versatile.
    Shiny Pokemon - Brought a whole new way to play in terms of shiny hunting that requires hella patience and dedication. My friend is a dedicated shiny hunter and has had caught many
    Natures - Makes two of the same different in a way and also allows me to imagine their personality.
    Unlimited Bag Space - Nothing more useful in a game than having your own Bag of Holding. Inventory space is the bane in games where you get lots of items throughout the story.
    Dexnav - May be a one-time gimmick but it made it way easier to chain encounters! This was especially a help for shiny breeding and looking for egg moves without the breeding. You can do it so early in the game too.
    Repels being able to be used as soon as one runs out - I started with Gen 5 in terms of mainline games so idk how tedious this was for previous gens but I'd imagine it was annoying as heck to have to go back into your bag all the time when one runs out, then another, then another, then another.
    Abilities - They help, they hinder, or do nothing of use at all, a good way to change your strategies up depending on what you get. Hidden Abilities are especially sought for most of the time.

AgentKallus likes this.
  20. LadyTriox

LadyTriox ~Cool like Korrina is~*snuggles her* <33

The battle facilities in general, are a great way to show my competitive love for pokemon battling <3

Mega evolution is so magical and interesting, and my crush, korrina, uses it. The power that can create is amazing. I wished they kept it.

Fairy types. Nuff said. Girly people like me need to be recognized as strong, capable people who can be awesome, kind, and all out plain admirable. I was so happy when fairies appeared, and they (along with korrina) make kalos my favorite region. I hate the amourshipper community, though.......but I won't get into the details about that. I'm not out to start fights.

The abilities make battling more fun! I love those, as well^^

Wifi battling, as well, especially random match ups, just gets so intense.

Theres likely other awesome things i like as well!

:)

wolf jani likes this.