• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are your final thoughts on Tripokalons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LizardonX

Banned
Now that the master class has concluded and we've seen all there is to Tripokalons I think its time to give some final thoughts on the new goal of the region.

I was receptive to the idea at first since the shipping aspect dropped off hard after the first 20 eps, but then got bored quickly when it turned out

- These are girls only
- There was no real competition
- Everyone just did the same thing over and over for round 2
- Eveything other than Rhyhorn cuddling was girly things.
- The audience judging system means these are nothing more than popularity contests

However they did have pretty animation so I'll give them props for that. I doubt they'll return for S&M and I certainly hope they won't do something similar for the next girl.

Red and Blue

A shameless rip off of Pokemon Contents. Also the fact that it was all girls just made it worse.

Pokemon racing would have been a much better goal for Serena. Much more variety in that

Soniman

Break the Limit
not a good goal, only watched for Serena's growth. Almost everyone else was treated like garbage

(tbh I dont expect this to be a very positive thread lol)

Last edited:

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
not a good goal, only watched for Serena's growth. Almost everyone else was treated like garbage

(tbh I dont expect this to be a very positive thread lol)

This. My thoughts exactly. I only watched for Serena and her Pokemon. Everything else I did not care for. This was not a good goal. Serena deserved better.
Edit: And Shauna. I also watched to see Shauna too.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I view them as inferior Contests without battles. As such, I was not really a fan of them. As a goal for the female character, I view them as the least interesting goal so far, even less so than the type master goals of Misty and Iris. While I like that Serena got far in it, the fact that she lost despite seeming to have a better performance than Aria, with Aria likely winning due to her fanbase, was not something I liked, but could see coming. I would have preferred Serena to have winning the Battle Chateau and becoming a Grand Duchess as a goal, or being a master Sky Trainer (like Y from Adventures) or Rhyhorn Racing as her potential goals. I just don't see why the animé did Showcases since it did not really advertise anything from the games, especially when they had so many other goals, that either appeared in the game, or could have been modified from game elements, that they could have chosen for her.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
The rivals needed to be better developed. There was neither tension nor actual characterization from them other than their one dimensional. There really was no sense of tension. Really, this part felt needlessly tacked on. Sacrifice some filler to better develop this part of the saga and we could've gotten something better.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
It was a nice refreshing idea, but the showcases were not that fun. The growth of Serena saved them a bit.
At the end, they are as boring that contest, but I liked the overall Serena focused episodes.

But at the end I have to say, that I welcome the more than what Iris and Misty did.

Last edited:

Xuxuba

The best option we had if we take into account that we already have a main character whose goal involves battling and rhyhorn racing wouldn't allow Serena to use her pokemon to achieve her goal.
Sure it was similar to Contests, but i do not find that a bad thing, considering that Contests were great, but we also needed to see something a bit different. Regarding the sex restriction, it's probably just because the goal was heavily influenced by the idol subculture in Japan and idol contests usually have sex restrictions, they usually do not mix male contestants with female idols contestants, just like sports. I do not think they did that to offend women or anything like that.

Last edited:

PokemonKnight

#1 Sylveon Fan
Much better than Contests, IMO.

Contests always appeared to be more glorified battles especially when you could KO your opponent. If Contests prohibited KO (automatic forfeit if a contestant intentionally went for one) and focused more on countering your opponents' moves, I would have found them more interesting and less battle like.

Contests were decided on the whims of the judges. I prefer the votes of many, over 3 judges, one of which is always a Nurse Joy.

U.N. Owen

Overall, it could have very much been great had there been more variety in the showcases. The biggest problem is in the rivals who are nothing but folder for her. They're barely threatening, barely memorable, and just a massive pile of wasted potential. This is the biggest problem with XY, wasted potential in the rivals and main cast.

PokemonKnight

#1 Sylveon Fan
Overall, it could have very much been great had there been more variety in the showcases. The biggest problem is in the rivals who are nothing but folder for her. They're barely threatening, barely memorable, and just a massive pile of wasted potential. This is the biggest problem with XY, wasted potential in the rivals and main cast.

XY is my favorite section of the anime, but I won't argue with this. From Amourshipping turning into a cheap gag, lack of meaningful rival interaction and a blonde hair Gym Leader pulling a Johto Brock, XY has been slightly disappointing in its use of a marvelous cast.

Xuxuba

I actually loved the rivals. Sure, some of them weren't able to defeat Serena, but some of them did beat her (Shauna, Jesse and Elle) and i never felt like they were just fodder. Au contraire, i felt like it was the first time that Jesse wasn't treated as fodder.

U.N. Owen

XY is my favorite section of the anime, but I won't argue with this. From Amourshipping turning into a cheap gag, lack of meaningful rival interaction and a blonde hair Gym Leader pulling a Johto Brock, XY has been slightly disappointing in its use of a marvelous cast.

XY is about on par with BW for worst of the worst in my opinion. Whereas BW had moments that could be considered "so bad, it's good" like Bianca, XY has been a "Why did you bring this up if you're not going to expand upon it." Ash's past has finally been explored ... only for barely anything to come out of it in terms of characterization. Serena spent almost 50 episodes looking for a goal ... and the pay off told us what we've known for the entire time. Clemont wished to be a braver and more confident person ... only for him to blend into the background after the gym battle. Bonnie's an overly kind and energetic wannabe trainer and gets Squishy. How is it that Bonnie actually has something that's not utterly wasted?

blob

They're pretty generic and they sound like a rip off Contest/Pokéathlon mix.

Not having real judges also makes it kinda lame and more like a shallow fashion show. Also, how is just walking with Pokémon supposed to be fun? When Serena first tried it out she was all "This is so much fun!" How is it fun exactly? Is she just a super simple minded bimbo or something?

Soniman

Break the Limit
XY is about on par with BW for worst of the worst in my opinion. Whereas BW had moments that could be considered "so bad, it's good" like Bianca, XY has been a "Why did you bring this up if you're not going to expand upon it." Ash's past has finally been explored ... only for barely anything to come out of it in terms of characterization. Serena spent almost 50 episodes looking for a goal ... and the pay off told us what we've known for the entire time. Clemont wished to be a braver and more confident person ... only for him to blend into the background after the gym battle. Bonnie's an overly kind and energetic wannabe trainer and gets Squishy. How is it that Bonnie actually has something that's not utterly wasted?

LOL yeah sorry I still much prefer XY over BW, all BW has over XY are the filler and the rivals to me

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
Much better than Contests, IMO.

Contests always appeared to be more glorified battles especially when you could KO your opponent. If Contests prohibited KO (automatic forfeit if a contestant intentionally went for one) and focused more on countering your opponents' moves, I would have found them more interesting and less battle like.

Contests were decided on the whims of the judges. I prefer the votes of many, over 3 judges, one of which is always a Nurse Joy.

This is my opinion as well. In fact, when we still had Contests, my favorite part of them was the Appeal Round. I never truly liked the battles, aside of the various combos of moves. They felt too... scripted to me, for a lack of a better term.

If there is something that I think they could have done better for the Showcases it would be to have an higher number of keys needed (five would have been better, IMO) and more variety with the Theme Rounds. I mean, we got two cooking-related matches, even if they were slightly different, but I would have appreciated if they did something more original.

In case they needed to write a similar goal for a future female character, I'd like it to be a fusion between Contests and Showcases, in the sense that it could be divided in three rounds:

1. Themed Round, done to test the ability of the Coordinator/Performer/whatnot to improvise and create exhibitions on the spot;
2. Appeal Round, which shows the skills of the Pokemon;
3. Battle Round, in order to show the coordination and synergy between Pokemon and Trainer.

In this way, they could satisfy people who love flashy performances and people who prefer battles, as well as making the whole goal more complete. Oh, and make both the crowd and a group of judges vote for the performances, so that the voting is a bit more even.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Really boring and generic. Pretty stereotypical too, like serena is a girl so she loves dressing up in pretty bring pink dresses and stuff and dancing around. They really were just "waifu wars", the girl that is the most "kawaaii" on stage wins and that is it.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics

Both XY and BW are objectively a more solid series than the whole OS series was. I can't see them being the worst series, especially if specific OS series had major flaws to them (Kanto with horrible battles, Johto to much filler etc.). Misty was almost doing nothing for 270 episodes and Brock wasn't doing anything either.

And how XY quest is going, I may even rank it above AG's badge quest, since there are more episodes involving characters (what also means less filler), battles were better, more character development etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.