• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are your habits in Pokémon games?

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
  • Whenever I replay HGSS I no longer collect any Apricorns or have Kurt make any of the specialty balls. Mainly because whenever I did use these specialty balls they always fail and never seem to work. So I'd rather use any other type of ball (Net, Timer, Dusk, Luxury, Quick) since they're far more effective.
  • Continuing with that I prefer to capture my secondary water type and surfer in a Net or Dive Ball.

Last edited:

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
My habit is that I always must battle wild Pokemon since I wanna grind it to the max. I usually go to every inch of grass to plead for an encounter XD.

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
  • Try to incorporate a psuedo in my team
  • Use Pokémon I haven’t finished a game with (if applicable)
  • Usually choose Water or Grass Starters.
  • Try to have Pokémon in varying Pokéballs, no two ever the same
  • If I have two versions I’ll pick male for one, female for the other.

Trillion

-always catch the regional bird and teach it fly

-use every pokemon i catch. no pokemon rots in the box

-keep all my pokemon within five levels of each other. for example, say all my pokemon are level 20. once one reaches level 25, i don't use it again until all the others have reached level 25

-battle every trainer

Leonhart

Imagineer
  • Whenever I replay HGSS I no longer collect any Apricorns or have Kurt make any of the specialty balls. Mainly because whenever I did use these specialty balls they always fail and never seem to work. So I'd rather use any other type of ball (Net, Timer, Dusk, Luxury, Quick) since they're far more effective.
I don't collect Bonguri (Apricorns) in HG/SS either, mainly because my stock is full, so I can't carry any more unless I ask Gantetsu (Kurt) to make more of his specialty Balls with them. But I don't use his specialty Balls anyway, mostly because as you said they seem to fail more often than they succeed.

Luthor

I tend (not always but most often) to choose the water type.

I always get every in-game trade

I never nickname any Pokemon (unless they are for collection purposes like Unown)

The Pokemon in my party fluctuate as the game goes. This is because I never choose a "team".

I tend to primarily use new pokemon unless there is a specific reason to use an older one. (e.g I used a Rapidash in diamond as my starter was Piplup and sinnoh had limited fire type options.)

Sicksadpanda

Discord Staff
Saving at least twice.

In all seriousness, I tend to only use brand new pokemon (regional forms count as new pokemon to me) each game of a new gen. Remakes or reruns, I usually use pokemon I've never used unless they're too inconvenient to use.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Mine are naming one Ditto “Xerox”, a female Absol “Cassandra,” a Chansey “Lady Luck,” a Klefki “Missing Keys” or some variation of that name, and playing one game as the male and the other as a female.
Nice! I named one of my Dittos that too. I usually name one of my Zubats, Glubat, as a silly joke.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
I always name my character after myself. Chris (Its close to my real name)

I rarely do replays on lengthy games. Sword and the 2 dlc took so much of my time and many boxes are quite full. Creatures like Zygarde were a real pain to catch. I'm not planning on ever doing a lengthy 20 battle session for him.

Usually i use water starters. I'm usually right with how viable they were overall. Chimchar Emboar and Scorbunny are exceptions (They have fighting moves and lot of villains are weak against fighting moves)

I'm addicted to legendaries depending on how viable they are. After Catching Zygarde and Zacian they are mainstays since i'm addicted to "really easy mode" for farming money in the galar star tournament.

Last edited:

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I have one habit that I'd consider to be a tradition at this point. Whenever I finish a playthrough I like to use Photoshop to create a little group photo of the Pokemon sprites I used. I then print out the image and paste it in a physical scrapbook. That way I can commemorate and remember all the playthroughs I've done over the years.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I always save twice. I have really bad memory so I do that just incase I forget to save the first time. I also never use legendaries on my teams if I can help it.
I do that out of habit too. Just in case. Never hurts saving more than once.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I save multiple times because I had a bad experience with losing progress because I didn't save. I know it's irrational but it lets me interrupt play with peace of mind lol

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
I don’t save enough. I think I save and then I end up losing an hour of progress. *sigh*
also shiny hunting out of boredom. it lets me zone out and listen to music and such.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Let's see...

I save like every mimute or five and/or after every battle I finish. It's a habit I developed ever since I started playing. It's quite handy when I'm playing other games too.

I always keep my starter on my League team (aka the team from the start of the game to beating the League). It's my partner after all.

I usually don't catch more than necessary on my first/League playthrough since I wanna keep my team of six to just six, but if I find a Pokémon I like better than one of my team members and can replace it, I replace it.

Try to include a Dragon-type in my first/League team if possible. Key word: try. Half the time I end up not doing this.

I always nickname my first/League team members. Often appropriate names (whether ironically or not) that either are meaningful names or just references to other series. I also do this when I nickname in general, like naming Legendaries after deities.

I fight every Pokémon I see unless my team is in bad shape or I wanna catch it.

Try to keep my team even leveled except for my starter, who's usually at least a level or five above the rest.

Try to use each team member for an even amount as much as possible (aka give them all even "screen time").

I start Pokémon catching/collecting after beating the League.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I always start the day changing my character’s outfit. New outfit for a new day just like in real life.
I always make sure to check in at the Loto ID center.
I save my game literally like every five minutes.
And in Pokémon Sun and Ultra Moon, I visited Festival Plaza every 1-2 hours to service the next set of requests.