• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are your hot takes on the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsRight

If Eevee not evolving is meant to be a sign it's taking over as the protagonist, then what happened with Dawn and Piplup?

Jessie's Dustox barely appeared in most episodes because she just used Seviper. And when it did appear it was just for a generic blast-off. After the early portions of Hoenn it also barely got used.

Beautifly got used in the Winstrate episode, the Grand Festival, Pokeringer, in the final ep with Drew in BF and in the Rubello contest appeal after the first two contests. It was literally her most used pokemon for the whole first half of Hoenn.
I appreciate Dustox for the send off it got in DP. They made a point she had finally begun to WIN things for Jessie, yet Jessie decided to let her go with her mate, even forcing her hand when she was unwilling to abandon Jessie. It just encapsulated that, for all of a vain jerk Jessie was, the two had spent all this time as the underdogs.

With Beautfly it was used good enough, but lacked as much character and bond. It was just the 'better' version of Dustox that usually won.

Again though, Team Rocket is only relevent as a comparison. There's a lot of times I feel like they're only there to make the protagonists most cheap and lazy boosts feel more like funny karma. Replace them with a non-antagonist opponent and they're pretty much just getting handed stuff magically. May is hardly the only culprit of this or arguably even the worst for it (I kinda resent even most of Pikachu's boosts were magicked him to stop Team Rocket) but she was around during an era they were spamming this sort of thing over you know, letting the heroes EARN stuff and be sympathetic. She even had TWO luckless villain rivals to be safe.

Last edited:

togepikindness

SILVER IS THE BEST POKEDEX HOLDER
Jessie's Dustox barely appeared in most episodes because she just used Seviper. And when it did appear it was just for a generic blast-off. After the early portions of Hoenn it also barely got used.

Beautifly got used in the Winstrate episode, the Grand Festival, Pokeringer, in the final ep with Drew in BF and in the Rubello contest appeal after the first two contests. It was literally her most used pokemon for the whole first half of Hoenn.
Y'all so true. Just watched a Pokemon episode (Battle Frontier) saw Dustox battling Ash and I'm like "when was the last episode I watched her in

Jagobrass

Yeah, when AG was airing I remember people wondering why Dustox appeared so little after the early portion of Hoenn and when Jessie would release it. Most TR attacks just sent out Seviper/Cacena, Dustox was barely used for most of late Hoenn or Battle Frontier. Of course Dustox lasting as long as it did into DP was a surprise because May wasn't on the show anymore so it made no sense to see a random Hoenn bug pokemon last that long after its counterpart Beautifly was gone.

I imagine had FR/LG never happened, May would have captured Swablu. But back then dragon pokemon weren't allowed to be captured, you can see how much Altaria is promoted with contest type characters like Lisia now that it probably would have happened back then.

Gingertail24

Actually they are more or less even at this point.

Eevee DID get a Let's Go game alongside Pikachu after all

Granted Eevee is hard carried by it's Evolutions (primarily Sylveon and Umbreon)
There really not. If they were, koharu definitely would of been in every episode. They give there supposed equally popular mascot to not a secondary mc like goh, but a supporting character like koharu, who appears once in a blue moon? Doesn't sound as popular as Pikachu to me

DatsRight

I mean Meowth's been hard marketed these past two gens and he's been increasingly demoted in the anime.

And Sandy was a relatively minor character in SM despite the Let's Go promoting.

Gingertail24

I mean Meowth's been hard marketed these past two gens and he's been increasingly demoted in the anime.

And Sandy was a relatively minor character in SM despite the Let's Go promoting.
I just feel like if evee was just as popular, they wouldn't make it basically a minor character

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
Lol no it's not. Pikachu is the mascot of the entire franchise.
Being the Mascot =/= Being the most popular

For example, Tracer is the Mascot of Overwatch but she is in no way the most popular character

Charizard, Greninja and Lucario are much more popular than Pikachu

Gingertail24

Being the Mascot =/= Being the most popular

For example, Tracer is the Mascot of Overwatch but she is in no way the most popular character

Charizard, Greninja and Lucario are much more popular than Pikachu
Dude there is a difference between a mascot for a game that has been out for 7 years vs the mascot for the most popular franchise on earth for 25 years. People who know nothing about pokemon instantly recognize Pikachu bro.

Comparing overwatch to the behemoth of Pokemon is disingenuous.

And no, none of those pokemon can even touch Pikachu popularity. And by popular, I don't mean the most well liked. Which I feel your conflating

I mean instantly recognizable. People who don't know jack about pokemon, I can point at Pikachu, and they know exactly who he is.

Psajdak

While I believe that Pikachu isn't going anywhere, and yes, it is the most recognizable Pokemon of them all, I also believe just as much that if they wanted, they could make some other Pokemon like Eevee, or Clefairy worldwide popular, and recognizable too.

People who are in charge of Pokemon would just need to promote them more through anime, or some other way, and they would need time.
Fans, anime viewers, players, and social media would do the rest.

Just remember how fast Pokemon Go became popular when it came out, or how super popular is Raiden Shogun from Genshin Impact, etc...

People in general usually care about the things that are currently trending.

Gingertail24

While I believe that Pikachu isn't going anywhere, and yes, it is the most recognizable Pokemon of them all, I also believe just as much that if they wanted, they could make some other Pokemon like Eevee, or Clefairy worldwide popular, and recognizable too.

People who are in charge of Pokemon would just need to promote them more through anime, or some other way, and they would need time.
Fans, anime viewers, players, and social media would do the rest.

Just remember how fast Pokemon Go became popular when it came out, or how super popular is Raiden Shogun from Genshin Impact, etc...

People in general usually care about the things that are currently trending.
The issue is that it would take years. Pikachu has been the face for 25 years. He is basically an icon. Just because they promote it doesn't mean it'll catch on. To put all that effort into a new icon and face of the biggest franchise, when you already have a perfect mascot, is just a waste of time

Psajdak

The issue is that it would take years. Pikachu has been the face for 25 years. He is basically an icon. Just because they promote it doesn't mean it'll catch on. To put all that effort into a new icon and face of the biggest franchise, when you already have a perfect mascot, is just a waste of time

I'm not talking about surpassing Pikachu as an icon; at this point no other Pokemon will be able to do that.

What I AM saying is that in the world of social media that we live in, with enough cutesy, quirkiness, and simply the fact that it is trending and / or actual, a lot of other Pokemon could attract attention to themselves away from Pikachu.

Like, we all know Pikachu, and that he is the icon of the franchise, but we just don't care, because our attention is on the current main Pokemon in anime.

And give it time, while it will never become as iconic as Pikachu, it will still be iconic in its own right.

Gingertail24

I'm not talking about surpassing Pikachu as an icon; at this point no other Pokemon will be able to do that.

What I AM saying is that in the world of social media that we live in, with enough cutesy, quirkiness, and simply the fact that it is trending and / or actual, a lot of other Pokemon could attract attention to themselves away from Pikachu.

Like, we all know Pikachu, and that he is the icon of the franchise, but we just don't care, because our attention is on the current main Pokemon in anime.

And give it time, while it will never become as iconic as Pikachu, it will still be iconic in its own right.
But what's the point of that, if it's not as iconic as Pikachu? If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
I don't understand why people say that Dawn didn't had any growth during DP and that only her Contest arc was good but she stayed the same. And this is simply not true. Dawn started off the series extremely cocky and sure of her abilities (most likely because Joanna) and soon got humbled during both of her Contests that simply thinking you're good doesn't mean you are.

She basically pulled herself by the boot strap when she was depressed and realized she needs to overcome her loses. Dealing with this was able to help her deal with situations like Mamoswine. Additionally she became less superficial (and this is even shown in JN) and not caring so much about her appearance to an obsession point.

Every Pokemon had some sort of development personality wise.

togepikindness

SILVER IS THE BEST POKEDEX HOLDER
I don't understand why people say that Dawn didn't had any growth during DP and that only her Contest arc was good but she stayed the same. And this is simply not true. Dawn started off the series extremely cocky and sure of her abilities (most likely because Joanna) and soon got humbled during both of her Contests that simply thinking you're good doesn't mean you are.

She basically pulled herself by the boot strap when she was depressed and realized she needs to overcome her loses. Dealing with this was able to help her deal with situations like Mamoswine. Additionally she became less superficial (and this is even shown in JN) and not caring so much about her appearance to an obsession point.

Every Pokemon had some sort of development personality wise.
True true especially that Mamoswine point but I think by growth we mean going into other-contests she is still in Sinnoh contests

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Anybody who’s saying that “Lillie was disrespectful to Lusamine because she’s a spoiled brat” is ridiculous.

Just because Lusamine wasn’t actively being rude doesn’t mean she was faultless. Lillie can be privileged and still have issues. If a person is constantly belittling you and your feelings, it isn’t pleasant experience. Lusamine thought she knew what was best for Lillie despite barely being around. She didn’t even do enough research to find out exactly why Lillie was scared of Pokemon at all.

Why is it because she's rich that it somehow diminishes her issues? Oh yea because modern society has showed countless of times that having money means you have no issues and bam problem solved!

So no I don’t think Lusamine is blameless. She didn’t do this out of malice but she still was a bad parent in this aspect.

All that money and she couldn't afford a therapist?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.