• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are your hot takes on the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Hopefully they never go the XY route again. SM and JN were fine but there is whiplash from BW and XY Ash. That personality change was very drastic and honestly while XY gave the fans that wanted Ash glorified something, he should just stay this way tbh.

Also don't care about that Pikachu getting jealous thing. A bit too late series wise but it's not like people's personalities and feelings change all of the time. I feel like every person acts "OOC" at times because emotions vary

DatsRight

Hopefully they never go the XY route again. SM and JN were fine but there is whiplash from BW and XY Ash. That personality change was very drastic and honestly while XY gave the fans that wanted Ash glorified something, he should just stay this way tbh.

Also don't care about that Pikachu getting jealous thing. A bit too late series wise but it's not like people's personalities and feelings change all of the time. I feel like every person acts "OOC" at times because emotions vary
I feel like BW-SM was them trying to trial and error a refined personality for Ash after his character arc had mostly hit a roadblock.

I think as soon as they realised Ash could be funny and fallible as a foil without regressing him to be totally incompetent, they kinda nailed him down. Not to mention emphasising focus on interactions again.

Existence of Pokémon Journeys is an insult in the face of Pokémon
I Agree with you, It's a slap in the face even with filler episodes and the fact that it's hyping up for Masters 8 Tournament is a strange way to end Ash's Journey, as Alain Vs. Leon Battle shows it, I doubt Ash will win the battle with Leon most especially Scarlet and Violet is coming out in late 2022.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I Agree with you, It's a slap in the face even with filler episodes and the fact that it's hyping up for Masters 8 Tournament is a strange way to end Ash's Journey, as Alain Vs. Leon Battle shows it, I doubt Ash will win the battle with Leon most especially Scarlet and Violet is coming out in late 2022.
If Ash reaches Leon, I see him winning more likely than not due to narrative reasons, especially since Leon almost has a crisis about how he is unbeatable and wants to be able to be beaten to show that he can still improve. If he reaches Leon, the worst I think Ash will do is tie with him. However, there is a non-zero percent chance (but not much higher) that Ash might not reach Leon, being beaten by either Cynthia or even Steven (though I would be shocked if Steven actually did beat him).

Blood Red

【推しの子】
Ash should have been replaced some time before the BW series.
That's hardly a hot take, I think most people are sick of him at this point.
Also Ash and anything involving him was one of the major reasons why XY was so bad imo, especially with it coming right after BW when his character died and ended up pointing out that watching for him to see him become a Pokémon master is completely pointless and will never happen.
Oh yeah, now that right there is a flamin' hot cheeto.

Gingertail24

Honestly the whole Pikachu jealous thing feels more like they tried to find an interesting way to develop and explore there relationship. But ash and Pikachu are so close with 0 conflict ever between them, that they had to force ash and Pikachu to act ooc for the conflict to work.

She thinks Kukui is some sort of pedo because of his game design of having an unbuttoned shirt, even though he's in Poke-Hawaii
Saying he's a pedo for having that design in front of the kids lmao
And best part, she calls Kukui 'Kuku' man
All the psych ward patients coming to serebiiforums istg lol
I would like you to start ignoring Jane, it's been several years now and she won't change her mind, I'm telling you this as a friendly request

Honestly Classic Ash (OS-DP) was the best Ash ever in terms of personality, his whole development felt natural and there was cohesion, you knew that was Ash. Starting with BW, Ash's personality changes with each series with SM Ash being the most jarring (and the worst) for me, JN Ash seems like a combination of XY and SM Ash depending on the episode but that doesn't help at all to be honest

DatsRight

I know it's not exactly loyal to the original, but I have a soft spot for the SM/JN kooky Ash. Maybe it's just because I like those sort of eccentric types who still have an unexpectedly competent side to them, but I feel like Ash shines more in those series and can hold a story, while in the classic-XY era he seemed to slowly become more and more vanilla. Also the loosening of the formula just leaves feeling we see more emoting from Ash in this era.

Even more hot take; SM Ash is my favourite design of the character, especially that big grin.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC

Imagine if we got XY-style Ash in Journeys.. He would be considered almost Red tier

Gingertail24

Honestly Classic Ash (OS-DP) was the best Ash ever in terms of personality, his whole development felt natural and there was cohesion, you knew that was Ash. Starting with BW, Ash's personality changes with each series with SM Ash being the most jarring (and the worst) for me, JN Ash seems like a combination of XY and SM Ash depending on the episode but that doesn't help at all to be honest
Honestly. I don't think the SM-JN personality of ash is bad. But it does feel really different from the OS-DP personality. Feels more flanderized version but still keeping his core traits

Gingertail24

I know it's not exactly loyal to the original, but I have a soft spot for the SM/JN kooky Ash. Maybe it's just because I like those sort of eccentric types who still have an unexpectedly competent side to them, but I feel like Ash shines more in those series and can hold a story, while in the classic-XY era he seemed to slowly become more and more vanilla. Also the loosening of the formula just leaves feeling we see more emoting from Ash in this era.

Even more hot take; SM Ash is my favourite design of the character, especially that big grin.
Honestly DP was the best iteration. Competent and mature. But still had a silly and snarky side. While also having a bit of a temper and it was possible to get under his skin.

SM and JN feels flanderized version of him and I miss that snark he had. Doesn't need to be overblown like it was in OS, but here and there. It seems to be a common issue with characters who are in a show that goes on for years and years. There minor traits get overblown

Like when he was getting insulted in the grand trial. I could think of many funny comments ash would make to nanu, instead of whining "aM I baD foR Making friends?!"

Honestly. I don't think the SM-JN personality of ash is bad. But it does feel really different from the OS-DP personality. Feels more flanderized version but still keeping his core traits
I'm not saying it's bad either, but for me, that expressiveness, absolute joy and hyperactivity during SM are not to my liking. However, I can highlight that SM Ash feels more organic than JN Ash, the region, his companions and the training during the series made him much more endearing than JN Ash at some points.

Status
Not open for further replies.