• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are your hot takes on the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
"DP/SM/XYAsh is the best Ash" :rolleyes:

AG Ash is the best Ash nerds :cool:

DatsRight

I mean before that, ash full on had his pokemon attack him as a target. His training was always wacky and unorthodox
I mean I prefer unorthodox training over just waiting for 'the power of really really wanting it' to do everything for him. At least Ash is progressing himself in a way only he can. I think the lack of agency was what let earlier Ash down a lot of the time.

"DP/SM/XYAsh is the best Ash"

AG Ash is the best Ash nerds
One detail I did like was how self aware AG Ash was to the old formula by that point, being sick of TR or other weird COTD and even being genre savvy to some disguises or pitfall traps (eg. scanning "Kirlia" with a Pokedex in the Ralts episode).

They sadly never dabbled in that in later seasons, even ones he was supposed to be more competent. Even XY Ash was the biggest slave to the formula than anyone else.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I would like you to start ignoring Jane, it's been several years now and she won't change her mind, I'm telling you this as a friendly request
Trust me I tried the ignore button, it sucks
I wish it was like a block button instead, the current iteration of ignore absolutely sucks
Yeah at this point Ive accepted they'll remain unhinged, so I'll just stick to meming the situation rather than actually commenting on it

MunchMunch

I don't mind that Ash and Alain didn't interact in the Losers 8 because I never bought a connect between the two of them. It always felt forced. I don't know how to describe it, but Alain in the XY anime and Alain in the Mega Evolution Specials felt like two different people.

DatsRight

SM has the best animation in the series, people just gotta understand that art style doesn't equal animation fluidity, which's why XYZ looks better for a lot of the time.
XYZ's crispness was also it's own downfall at times too, since animators just couldn't handle that level of detail long term.

Expressiveness was minimal, and most Pokemon that were too complex in design had to get demoted to only the big action scenes or mostly static group shots. Sure the money shots were amazing, but the rest of time it was just well drawn but incredibly limited animation, mostly involving only the same handful of characters and Pokemon.

SM's streamlining just allowed way more personality to get through. You just couldn't have had ALL the group Pokemon interacting together on a regular basis in previous series.

Unicorn052

If Ash reaches Leon, I see him winning more likely than not due to narrative reasons, especially since Leon almost has a crisis about how he is unbeatable and wants to be able to be beaten to show that he can still improve. If he reaches Leon, the worst I think Ash will do is tie with him. However, there is a non-zero percent chance (but not much higher) that Ash might not reach Leon, being beaten by either Cynthia or even Steven (though I would be shocked if Steven actually did beat him).
I find it extremely interestingly weird that all the member in the Masters 8 are all Champions except for Alain. Also, Ash's Battle with Paul, he had 3 aces of the Masters 8 then in the first episode of the Masters 8 Ash gets paired with Steven who has an aces that Paul battled with Ash. I feel like the Battle with Paul was foreshadowing Ash's opponents in the tournament. Theses are just my thoughts.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
XYZ's crispness was also it's own downfall at times too, since animators just couldn't handle that level of detail long term.

Expressiveness was minimal, and most Pokemon that were too complex in design had to get demoted to only the big action scenes or mostly static group shots. Sure the money shots were amazing, but the rest of time it was just well drawn but incredibly limited animation, mostly involving only the same handful of characters and Pokemon.

SM's streamlining just allowed way more personality to get through. You just couldn't have had ALL the group Pokemon interacting together on a regular basis in previous series.
And slowly the new style is getting better too
Imo JN style is a good improvement over what SM started

In fact, I liked XYZ's animation more than SM's, I hated the exaggeration in many filler chapters of that series, exaggerated expressions were never my thing. That's why I like JN's style even more, since he doesn't need to simplify his characters too much to make a more "Fluid" animation... that's why JN's design makes Lillie look MUCH better imo

JN Lillie https://i.ytimg.com/vi/hNJGbfqMu9w/maxresdefault.jpg

SM Lillie

DatsRight

And slowly the new style is getting better too
Imo JN style is a good improvement over what SM started
True, it's just a shame JN doesn't bear the fruits of the animation approach as much as SM though.

We do still get lots of flourishes of personality and interactions with all the Pokemon when they are THERE, but in general we see a lot less of that in action.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
True, it's just a shame JN doesn't bear the fruits of the animation approach as much as SM though.

We do still get lots of flourishes of personality and interactions with all the Pokemon when they are THERE, but in general we see a lot less of that in action.
I'll blame it on the pandemic and on a relatively new team of animators compared to the old ones, even if some familiar old faces are still around
I hope they get the hang of it in time for the climax of JN and next series tho

DayQuil95

It's funny because early Journeys had spectacular animation, Korrina and Visquez had excellent animations in their battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.