• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are your most HATED episodes in the entire anime and why?

Spyro39

I'm still confused on all this hate for AG68. Can you explain for me?

This post from another thread similar to this one best summarizes the terrible nature of that episode.
It'd have to be A Double Dilemma from AG hands down. The citizens of North Petalburg were die-hard Norman fans in the worst possible way. Between constantly belittling Ash, forcing him to nonstop battles, forcing May to keep doing contest performances, calling Ash the jerk who was harassing them, forcing Ash & May to battle, booing Ash every time he called a move, & declaring May the winner for ridiculous reasons, they just became completely unlikable and I groaned all throughout the episode whenever they did anything. Plus, when Ash finally proved himself after beating Team Rocket, the townspeople STILL called him a novice and only said that Pikachu had the potential to beat Norman.

I know Ash had a big ego in AG & all, but even he didn't deserve that kind of harassment, & May didn't deserve that kind of toxic positivity for that matter. They didn't even really care about her. They just fawned over her & Max just because they're Norman's kids, so their love & praise wasn't even genuine. Even if they were big Norman fans, all of those people were the biggest collective group of jerks I've ever seen in the series and made their city completely irredeemable. They were basically the personification of all the toxic aspects found in fandoms, sports fans, & k-pop fans. By the end of the episode I felt the same as Sokka in Avatar Day when he said this was "by far the worst town we've ever been to."

Pokemon Scent-sations was my least favorite episode before this since everyone besides Team Rocket was a jerk, but this is by far the absolute WORST POSSIBLE EPISODE in the entire anime for me. Even with all of the stinkers we've gotten like Ash's match with Elesa, the Unova League battle with Camneron, and all of the endless filler we had in future sagas, nothing can top this dumpster fire of an episode. Not even Team Rocket cosplaying as Norman's family can redeem this episode for me (even though all those people deserved to be conned).

If you're rewatching or seeing AG for the first time, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ARCEUS skip this episode by all means! T_T
TLDR; think about the worst aspects of a toxic fandom, and that's what the crazed fanboy/fangirl citizens of that Petalburg town represented, along with how horrendous their treatment were to both Ash and May (but mostly Ash).

Last edited:

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
The gist I get is that it's about a town of crazy Norman fans who are pricks to Ash for wanting to battle him. He later saves them from Team Rocket and....they're still pricks to him.
And they force him into non stop battles then literally reject the result of a battle.
Did Norman go around donating gold watches to them ? Why were all these people fawning abouta below average gym leader.

MetaMantis

Offline until Ash vs Leon
The gist I get is that it's about a town of crazy Norman fans who are pricks to Ash for wanting to battle him. He later saves them from Team Rocket and....they're still pricks to him.
Sounds bad, but the worst? idk about that.

DatsRight

This post from another thread similar to this one best summarizes the terrible nature of that episode.

TLDR; think about the worst aspects of a toxic fandom, and that's what the crazed fanboy/fangirl citizens of that Petalburg town represented, along with how horrendous their treatment were to both Ash and May (but mostly Ash).
Really, I think if it had been made after all the infamy with Ash in the REAL WORLD fandom and added even a bit of meta to it, it would be kind of amusing. Still a cynical kinda nasty episode, but poetic given what Ash suffers from REAL Pokemon fans.

I admit however, it wouldn't have hurt to give the annoying fanboys what they deserved, though that happens a lot with jerk COTD, especially in AG where Team Rocket seemed to be the only characters that ever got bad karma and then some. Harley, the poacher, the Sneasel chef, the list goes on of antagonistic, petty, or otherwise annoying characters that NEVER got a comeuppance onscreen.

If you're inelligable to a blasting off, there's no other source of punishment in the show. :p

Last edited:

MetaMantis

You want good Pokemon antagonists? There's N, Guzma, and Lusamine. I very much understand what a villain is and how antagonistic characters work. And the fundamental problem with the DP rival is that it doesn't work. The problem is the rival outright ignores laws of the anime world, like abusing your Pokemon not only weakening your Pokemon but making them disloyal. Not a single one of its Pokemon left on their own terms due to its treatment of them. It was always it abandoning them. And as if by magic, its Pokemon never became weaker from its abusive training. Importantly, it is not fun to root against the rival because what the rival does what would be called abuse if literally any other Trainer in the anime did it.

Not to mention the reason it became like that in the first place was absolutely disproportionate to its behavior. Oh no, my brother lost and decided to stop being a Trainer, I'm going to treat my Pokemon so harshly it clearly crosses the line into abuse and never suffer a meaningful consequence that isn't immediately offset (Abandoned battle with Cynthia? Defended by Ash for no reason. 6-0'd by Brandon? Immediate 4-2 victory over Ash without effort. Lost to Ash at League? A technicality, Infernape was down for 4-5x longer than the next longest Pokemon in the same match and Electivire still had to interrupt the referee). I'm also never going to change in any meaningful way even up until my last episode, where I insult Infernape for being weak despite having released it 128 episodes ago.

Not a good antagonist, not a good Trainer, not a good character whatsoever.
I disagree with your sentiment that it doesn't work. I think it works well as to show that no, not everyone is nice and kind to their pokémon. There are some real horrible people out there. It's good to have different types of rivals, otherwise the show would be boring.

Also, you said you hate all of DP except 1 episode. Why exactly do you hate all of it when Paul only appears in like... 25 episodes.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't like EP001 in particular. While most people consider it to be a great debut episode, it's always been a rather boring episode from my viewpoint, and the episode reinforced my belief that Satoshi isn't interesting enough to be the main character for an entire episode [even with Okido-hakase, Shigeru, Kasumi, and Hanako making minor appearances there].

I also consider EP017 to be a rather pointless episode, mostly because it gave us character development for some of the Pokemon like Arbo and Dogars, but it was development that never ended up becoming important for them later on. The fact that it included subtitles was a nice touch, but to me the episode came across as a one-off tease that ultimately didn't matter in the long run and is only remembered because the Pokemon's subtitles were a novelty.

MetaMantis

I don't like EP001 in particular. While most people consider it to be a great debut episode, it's always been a rather boring episode from my viewpoint, and the episode reinforced my belief that Satoshi isn't interesting enough to be the main character for an entire episode [even with Okido-hakase, Shigeru, Kasumi, and Hanako making minor appearances there].

I also consider EP017 to be a rather pointless episode, mostly because it gave us character development for some of the Pokemon like Arbo and Dogars, but it was development that never ended up becoming important for them later on. The fact that it included subtitles was a nice touch, but to me the episode came across as a one-off tease that ultimately didn't matter in the long run and is only remembered because the Pokemon's subtitles were a novelty.
I had to look up what Arbo and Dogars were lol.

Applecorp

The Haunter vs Kadabra episode mostly for having a misleading title since they didn't actually fight each other. The whole Saffron plot was stupid but that final episode was super anticlimactic.

Also the Pikachu's Goodbye episode because it was just a way to shill Pikachu some more and it had a sappy farewell fake out. The episode was a dumb filler too.

MetaMantis

The Haunter vs Kadabra episode mostly for having a misleading title since they didn't actually fight each other. The whole Saffron plot was stupid but that final episode was super anticlimactic.

Also the Pikachu's Goodbye episode because it was just a way to shill Pikachu some more and it had a sappy farewell fake out. The episode was a dumb filler too.
If you were redesigning the Saffron plot, what would you do instead?

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Ooooh I remember a similar post like this and man there are a lot of episodes I dislike
But I think one that I really dislike that seems to be a cult classic for many is
A)The tentacool/tentacruel one
B) Ghost at Maiden's Peak

There are many more but I dont feel like remembering them lol
All sm episodes
The Project Mew episodes in JN
The episode in JN where Ash visited the school children and their teacher
Awww Jane you are becoming nicer, calling the Kukui teacher instead of the Kuku man, stop it you big flirt

geminisama

That episode from DP where Ash lent Pikachu to an old lady because she lost her own Pikachu which came back as a Raichu because reasons. I just hate everything about it. Also the Buizel and Aipom trade episode grr.

That episode from DP where Ash lent Pikachu to an old lady because she lost her own Pikachu which came back as a Raichu because reasons. I just hate everything about it. Also the Buizel and Aipom trade episode grr.
I love that first episode actually. It was so sweet.

Pokemonfan5

Ash vs Richie episode

I hate the episodes which not only trash but also ruin entire series, the way Ash lost in Indigo league was the most horrible thing writers ever did and this league arcs is always build up and treated most important part of any series, it was supposed to tell Ash how bad he was as a trainer but he lost mainly because of Team rocket not because of his lack of trainer skills or strength than everyone blame him for something that he has zero control

Ash vs Cameron fall into same category but it was at least actual battle where Ash lost even if the writing was horrible here as well

Ambipom and Greninja release: their character was build up greatly only to get worst ending, Ambipom release was full character assassination which can never be redeemed, Greninja got one of the worst ending that not only he lose to same Charizard three times but he become a gardener now, Xerosic coming back to form neo team flare, those vines popping up which zygarde can't locate but Greninja cand do that "for some reason", Team flare got the perfect ending already but this ruin that

Last edited:

MetaMantis

I guess that pikachu just happened to find a thunder stone on the ground in the wild.

MetaMantis

Ambipom and Greninja release: their character was build up greatly only to get worst ending, Ambipom release was full character assassination which can never be redeemed, Greninja got one of the worst ending that not only he lose to same Charizard three times but he become a gardener now, Xerosic coming back to form neo team flare, those vines popping up which zygarde can't locate but Greninja cand do that "for some reason", Team flare got the perfect ending already but this ruin that
If you were doing Greninja's ending, how would you write his ending differently?