• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are your taboo opinions about the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morax

King of heroes
When will people realize that the problem lies in this anime’s foundation/structure and not one particular season? Journeys is basically OS-XY with ‘world tournament’ for gym battles. It follows the exact same formula otherwise : Ash enters new region —> meets new friends —> catches new pokemon —> rinse and repeat.
The status quo is still in effect and nothing has changed

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I don’t see how Ash is a Gary Stu simply bu having a Dragonite and Lucario, or by using mechanics anyone can use with enough training. And we don’t see him training cause of the sh** grade writing. If he one all the the leagues he participated in and caught a bunch legendaries easily, then thats when you could call him a Gary Stu
Honestly people ever since The Last Jedi have really begun to overuse the 'Gary Stu' and Mary Sue terms, using it so incorrectly it's dumb

Sham

The Guardian of War
Honestly people ever since The Last Jedi have really begun to overuse the 'Gary Stu' and Mary Sue terms, using it so incorrectly it's dumb
Honestly I can't comment on the entire "Gary Stu" but I can say the writing is very much centered around giving the allusion of Ash being extremely potent by his team choices, gimmicks and current battles in the PWC.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Honestly I can't comment on the entire "Gary Stu" but I can say the writing is very much centered around giving the allusion of Ash being extremely potent by his team choices, gimmicks and current battles in the PWC.
I don't get the gimmicks argument. Why shouldn't Ash have them? I can agree on certain powerscaling arguments but the rest just feel nitpicking to me. Ash is far from a Gary Stu

Sham

The Guardian of War
I don't get the gimmicks argument. Why shouldn't Ash have them? I can agree on certain powerscaling arguments but the rest just feel nitpicking to me. Ash is far from a Gary Stu
Yeah I don't use that terminology because I feel like it's use gets lost in arguments. The gimmicks aren't a problem within themselves as an individual thing but it's just adding that on top of everything going for him this series. Mega evolution was just icing on an already disastrous cake.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Honestly, giving your character powerfull/fan favourite Pokemon is not enough to make a Gary Stu inherently. Like, it's so dependant on the execution, how were these Pokemon acquired, what did they do, what is their relationship with the trainer...
Same goes for gimmicks pretty much.
Exactly, like the problem lies with how sidelined Ash is not that hes a Gary stu considering in JN he has regions of experience and strength behind him, and all his pokemon encounters and gimmicks were acquired in a fair manner, and although it isnt shown the anime does tell us he trains his mons, its just offscreen but he doesnt just get strong stuff handed to him and always wins and is always right
Here's a pretty agreeable thread on Mary Sues:
The fact Ash lost to Bea the way he did already defeats this argument, as does everything else
Yeah I don't use that terminology because I feel like it's use gets lost in arguments. The gimmicks aren't a problem within themselves as an individual thing but it's just adding that on top of everything going for him this series. Mega evolution was just icing on an already disastrous cake.
While I agree Ash and his pokemon's treatment in JN IS a big issue, being a gary stu isnt part of it
>A Mary Sue is always right, and anyone who disagrees with them is portrayed as stupid or evil
So basically Ash?
Nope

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
You sure about that?
>has all the overpowered gimmicks in the anime handed to him
>is the center of the universe
>has met literally every legendary pokemon in existence and befriended them
>is always right and those who disagree with him are stupid or evil (paul)
>will be unbeatable by the end of JN
>He hasn't had any gimmicks handed to him, he earned them
>By that logic every MC in the world is a Gary Stu....nope that's not how the term works
>Same point as above
>That argument only works in a moral situation and not in a situation where it's literally....good vs evil. Also he's been shown as the stupid one multitude of times. Being a moral person isn't being a Gary Stu Jesus Christ
>Hasn't happened yet and he's already lost in JN multiple times

Like I said, overuse of Gary Stu for no apparent reason. Ash is many things, a Gary Stu isn't one of them

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I find the way several Pokémon sound in the anime rather confusing. Scyther having such a high pitched voice before the voice actors change is weird, Electabuzz in the Dark City episode of the OS sounds like someone having a seizure which is a bit ironic considering it is an Electric type and Pikachu accidentally caused the infamous seizure attacks, and Raichu sort of sounds dopey in a sort of cute but still uncomfortable way.

Morax

King of heroes
>He hasn't had any gimmicks handed to him, he earned them
>By that logic every MC in the world is a Gary Stu....nope that's not how the term works
>Same point as above
>That argument only works in a moral situation and not in a situation where it's literally....good vs evil. Also he's been shown as the stupid one multitude of times. Being a moral person isn't being a Gary Stu Jesus Christ
>Hasn't happened yet and he's already lost in JN multiple times

Like I said, overuse of Gary Stu for no apparent reason. Ash is many things, a Gary Stu isn't one of them
1) Ash greninja and pikashunium Z say hi
2) one piece, berserk, hunter x hunter, jojo's bizarre adventure, like i said before watch some quality anime.
3) same point as above
4) I'd like you to take a look at johnny joestar ; the guy isn't morally right even in good vs evil situations (hell the villain is the one with noble intentions! ). Ash being stupid is only ever used as a gag. Luffy is a stupid hero done right because his dumb antics get him into life&death situations. Always being morally right is borderline mary sue behavior.
5) Will happen eventually. He is the chosen one.

But you're right gary stu would be the wrong word for him. He's just a terrible character, that's what he is.

DigitalTrainer

Worried about everything
2) one piece, berserk, hunter x hunter, jojo's bizarre adventure, like i said before watch some quality anime.
3) same point as above
4) I'd like you to take a look at johnny joestar ; the guy isn't morally right even in good vs evil situations (hell the villain is the one with noble intentions! ). Ash being stupid is only ever used as a gag. Luffy is a stupid hero done right because his dumb antics get him into life&death situations. Always being morally right is borderline mary sue behavior.

But you're right gary stu would be the wrong word for him. He's just a terrible character, that's what he is.
Who’s a character to you in Pokémon?

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
To this point in particular, Gon fits very well. He's shown as a very happy go lucky and simple minded kid pretty much throughout HxH but is arguably the one who's morally wrong when he
threatens to kill Komugi
cause he was blinded by so much rage.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
3) same point as above

The whole point literally was about him not being a Gary Stu, which you agree he isn't. All the other flaws of his character rn are irrelevant because the discussion about him is whether he's a 'Gary Stu', which he freaking isn't. People just love to overuse that term wherever

Status
Not open for further replies.